• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Best place to live?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hum well I live in Arlington Va along the metro and I honestly cant think of where id like to live more, i can walk to everything-coll ethnic resturants. shopping, metro, farmers market etcetc. there is a good mix of cultures, houseing, parking and walking etc.

Clarendon has won many awards from the APA over the last few years and it shows-tree lined streets, keeping the feel of the 1930's and 40' homes. High density right at the metro stations then it quickly transforms into real honest to god folks talk to the folks next door kinda places.

hehe i can hike to G'town!

housing is very high cost though

pwright1

Houston Texas. I've been to many cities across the U.S. and this is one of the few big cities where I can afford to live in the heart of the city. One of only 5 cities with a permanent opera, theater, symphony and ballet. It has a healthy economy and low unemployment. Yes its hot and humid in the summer but so are a lot of other cities. The key is the winters are mild. Downtown Houston is going through a renaissance as we speak. 40 minutes from the coast. Great shopping, nightlife and entertainment. I live in Seattle now and as nice as it is, its just way too expensive. I also love the fact that Houston has one of the most diverse populations in the country.

martini

Cyburbian
JNL said:
My city, Wellington, fits all your criteria, except it's not 2-3 hours drive to a big place - it is the big place! 2-3 hours drive, depending on your direction, would get you to beautiful beaches, or mountains, or a lake, or national parks... yep, I like my city!

Entertainment is excellent, we have one of the top universities, and you can get a nice house for US$175k. Plus we have several great fish and chip shops!

mmm, New Zealand! I've met a few from there, and known some folks who've taken vacations there and they came back beaming! So is there a large planning market down there? I'd love to see the WRC rally down there sometime as well.

The prefect city for me? I really like Minnepolis(200k), but there's no mountains near by, the only draw back.

I like La Crosse WI, (50k) they've got a great down town, and clean, well kept neigborhoods.

For small towns, Paonia CO(2k or so) is the cats meow. Progressive, three co-ops, and organic fruit orchards as far as you can see(a pound of cherries for a buck? sure!)

bocian

Cyburbian
Best big cities to live:
Toronto, Montreal, NYC

Worst big cities to live:
Detroit, NYC

Best Medium/Small-size cities to live:
Asheville, NC
Bloomington, IN
Guelph, ON
Portland, Maine

criket1

Marquette is beautiful, but

It really isn't close to any big cities. In winter it takes even longer to get anywhere. If you don't mind not being close to anything, but Marquette you are fine. There are a lot of outdoor things to do and it is gorgeous.

QUOTE=SW MI Planner]I personally love Michigan and wouldn't want to leave. I really love Coldwater, but would consider moving to Saginaw (don't laugh Alan) or Marquette. I was born/raised in Saginaw and that is where all my family is. Marquette is just awesome.

I love the big city, but only to visit. I like small towns/cities (10,000 to 40,000), open space (woods, lakes, farms, etc.). Like Donk, I love and need the seasons

Donk - have you ever been to Marquette? It fits your requirements, except winter covers half the year. They're not hiring right now, but I thought I'd throw that at ya.[/QUOTE]

SideshowBob

Cyburbian
Boston: Great walking City

NYC: So much to do--Great subway system.

Madison, WI: No better smaller city. Great for walking/biking. Tons of restaurants. Unique.

Dublin, Ireland. Spent a week with friends there last year. They lived on Lower Ormand Quay (for those familar). What a great city. Plenty of places to walk to--restaurants, bars, etc.