• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Rural / small town Best small towns?

I used to go to running camp in Brevard during HS...maybe how you know it Hink_Planner? Wonderful trail running in the area and they have a large population of albino squirrels.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Been to six of them. Egg Harbor most often. The Door County Penninsula is home to a handful of quaint small towns along the shore, with forests and cherry orchards inland. A couple years ago they chose another Wisconsin town for their list. I did the master plan, downtown plan, and economic development plan for that village.

I've been through Bandon OR and Cloverdale CA. (Through Cloverdale hundreds of times.) Downtown Cloverdale suffered big time when CALTRANS built the US 101 bypass--what, perhaps 15-years ago? The main drag has reformed itself into a very pedestrian oriented community. I should have taken pictures last time I was out there.

Hink

OH....IO
I used to go to running camp in Brevard during HS...maybe how you know it Hink_Planner? Wonderful trail running in the area and they have a large population of albino squirrels.
I haven't been to a running camp there (I went to one in Indiana), I had visited friends who live close. We enjoyed the area, the wine, and the hiking. Great place.

I, personally, would have added Jerome, Arizona to the list. It sure as heck beats out Medicine Park, OK (though Medicine Park isn't that bad a place).

mgk920

Cyburbian
Been to six of them. Egg Harbor most often. The Door County Penninsula is home to a handful of quaint small towns along the shore, with forests and cherry orchards inland. A couple years ago they chose another Wisconsin town for their list. I did the master plan, downtown plan, and economic development plan for that village.
I've always considered the WI 42 side of Door County (Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephraim and Sister Bay) to be too 'touristy' and snooty for my tastes (A common question of candidates for office in Wisconsin is "Wisconsin Dells or Door County?" - it's like those Miller High Life beer ads with the beer truck driver retrieving his product from places and events where it doesn't belong). If anything, I'll take the WI 57 side (Bailey's Harbor and Jacksonport) - it's still untouched by the snooty tourists and a much, much more 'genuine' Door County experience.

Mike

Tide

Cyburbian
Wilmington, North Carolina is a small beach town in southern north carolina bordering the outer banks. a beautiful small city!
I agree Wilmington is a very nice CITY but not really a small town. In the article discussed all towns are <10,000 population. Wilmington is a major NC metropolitan city with over 100,000. The MSA has appx. 345,000.

Sorry, if you want to talk small coastal NC towns there's Swansboro, Oriental, or Southport.

I agree Wilmington is a very nice CITY but not really a small town. In the article discussed all towns are <10,000 population. Wilmington is a major NC metropolitan city with over 100,000. The MSA has appx. 345,000.

Sorry, if you want to talk small coastal NC towns there's Swansboro, Oriental, or Southport.
What, no love for Beaufort? ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Of all of the wonderful small towns in Texas, they went with Cuero???? :-|
I never even heard of Cuero when I was living in Austin. I traveled around quite a bit on weekends, exploring some of the small towns an hour or two away from town, but never encountered Cuero. (Lampasas was an unexpected surprise; an almost intact Texas-style county seat in an area of otherwise gawd-awful Army towns.)

I'm finding a lot of little gems around Ithaca; Trumansburg, Dryden Village and Aurora so far.

Wilmington, North Carolina is a small beach town in southern north carolina bordering the outer banks. a beautiful small city!

What, no love for Beaufort? ;)
I agree that Wilmington is a great town but is way too big for this list. There's some nice places along the NC coast, but I never really found a small-town there that was all that great.

kalimotxo - my parents used to always love going to Beaufort when they would come down to visit... I could never understand why.

All that said, the NC coast is on the list of places I'd love to buy a vacation home when the time is right. Topsail Beach or Surf City are at the top of my list followed by Carolina or Wrightsville Beach.

As for the list itself, I've only been to Saugatuck and that was years ago when I was in junior high school on a family vacation. It was nice then but a bit boring - of course, what isn't to a 13-year-old? I imagine I'd enjoy it thoroughly if I went now. I've heard that over the past ten years or so, the town, beaches, hotels, and rental properties have become overrun by Chicagoans in the summer and prices have gotten much more expensive than they used to be.

kalimotxo - my parents used to always love going to Beaufort when they would come down to visit... I could never understand why.
Beaufort is one of those towns that I should love but it never quite did it for me. I'm really a nerd for small, historic towns in the southeast. The historic preservation there is kind of weak, and there's not enough going on otherwise to keep my interest.

Beaufort, SC, on the other hand, is a gem. My former employer had me down there for weeks at a time two summers ago and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately the road the Hilton Head is lined with ever-expanding Wrinkle Ranches.