• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Best supermarket

The best supermarket

• Publix

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Kroger

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Albertson's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winn Dixie

• Kash n Karry/Food Lion

• Super Walmart

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Super Target

• Pick 'n Save

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Sav-A-Lot

• Sentry

• Kohl's

• SuperValu

• Safeway

• Jewel

• Wegmans

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Shaws

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Hannaford

• Market Basket

• Hy Vee

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Fareway

• Other

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Let's settle it once and for all. Listen up, Trail Nazi! Please feel free, moderator, to add other chains that I don't know about.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
We did do this one a couple of months ago. I can't wait to try Wegman's which some people have said is a great grocery store. Trader Joe's is pretty cool too. But above all, Publix is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, I just got back from a short (1-1/2 hour bike ride (almost got literally blown over sideways. The winds in the Suisun Bay area can be unbelievable), so I'm hungry:

. Trader Joe's, being from California, does rule. But, its not really a full-sized supermarket, so...

Other Nominations:

Whole Foods-for the wealthy granolas among us. But, they are fantastic!

Andronico's: A Bay Area Foodies' paradise. Unfortunately, also known as "Astronomico's"

Nugget: My area (Davis/Winters/Vacaville) own little local grocery chain. Wine, cheese, cooking schools, beer selection, fresh fish, great deli, and THE BEST SALSA BAR I HAVE EVER SEEN! Even their store architecture is fantastic. They hire real architects that transfor the typical strip box. Nugget rules!
And, their staples, unlike Astronomico's, are reasonable.

Best "mainstream" regional chain: Raleys/Bel Air: Great Sacramento company. Really nicely done stores, nice help (unionized, so its not just a minimum wage slog for most of 'em). The best roast chicken of all the stores-and better than many restaurants' imo.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sorry, but this poll has far too much of a Southern spin to it. You'll have to add a few more:

* Pick 'n Save
* Sav-A-Lot
* Sentry
* Kohl's
* SuperValu
* Safeway
* Jewel

... and those are just a few Midwest, plus a couple western ones I remember.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Trader Joe's, being from California, does rule. But, its not really a full-sized supermarket, so...

Other Nominations:

Whole Foods-for the wealthy granolas among us. But, they are fantastic!
Even though Trader Joe's is not a full-sized supermarket, it does have some great food at very reasonable prices. I am just about to eat some TJ's chicken chimichangas. Yummy.

Whole Foods is definitely for the wealthy. They have a great salad bar, but expensive.

Harris Teeter thinks its the best, but they are more show than quality. I am not fond of their store brand food. They are a wannabe Publix.

Giant is okay. It is more reasonable in cost than HT.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I know Whole Foods (Bread & Circus) is expensive, but their food is just so good. I shop there and at Trader Joe's.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Need to add Harris Teeter to the list. My absolute favorite is Whole Foods, followed by Harris Teeter. But alas, I am not in shopping distance from either, so Publix is my practical favorite. When, oh when, will Whole Foods come to north Florida?!

H

Cyburbian
I’ll go with the Piggly Wiggly, even though it is not on the list.

*side note; I just like the name and I really shop at Publix or Winn Dixie. But there is also a local store here in Miami called Gardners, it is $$$$$$$$, but generally worth it for fruits, meats, cheeses and breads. They have great hard to get condiments as well, like spicy mustard that will knock you over when you smell it!!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
mod poll edit

I was going to add the local Wiccan / Vegan co-op and the local glutin-free store but I can't remember their names. ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I like Pick n Save the best. As for specialty stores, I like Sendik's (a local uppity store), Outpost (similar to Whole Foods). I has my first Trader Joes experience last weekend and that place rocks. I wish we had one in Wisconsin.

tsc

Cyburbian
Ok... I live in NY Metro... and only Sav-a-lot is only store on the list located in my County. A low end crappy food store

I would have to go with A&P/Food Emporium because they have the least amount of health violations (rats, mice, spoiled food)

the other food store chains are:

Stew Leonards
Stop n Shop
ShopRIte
Turcos

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: mod poll edit

Chet said:
I was going to add the local Wiccan / Vegan co-op and the local glutin-free store but I can't remember their names. ;)
Try the Willy Street Co-op or the Mifflin Street Co-op.

I would have to say Whole Foods, but I hardly ever get to it. Woodman's is also good, for the huge selection and low prices. From the local choices, I would have to go with Sentry.

donk

Cyburbian
In our area it is either sobeys or atlantic super store /save-easy (depending on floor size)

I prefer most of the products from Atlantic SuperStore. I also have found the really small supermarket in my end of the city has better produce then the larger super grocery stores. The reason. Why? I think is that my neighbourhood is "poor" and people are really picky about the produce they will buy and the produce manager knows it.

Funny thing, when I buy mangos the girls at the check out have asked me what they taste like and how do you eat them.

jmf

Cyburbian
oops - posted as donk was posting a bit of a repeat but.......

Here in Canada, we have Loblaws/Superstore/other Loblaw owned spin-off and Sobeys/Sobeys spin-off.

Here in Eastern Canada, all food comes thourgh one of two distribution centres, you got it - one owned by Sobeys, the other by Loblaws!

Luckily, I live in a farming area so this time of year through to October most of our fruit and vegetables come from our own garden or the farmers market; our bread comes fromt he farmers markets and our meat, cut for the BBQ, comes from a local butcher who gets his meat from local farms.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I has my first Trader Joes experience last weekend and that place rocks. I wish we had one in Wisconsin.
No Trader Joe's in Wisconsin? Say it ain't so! Wisconsin seems like it would be perfect for that kind of a store.

ecofem

Cyburbian
Publix... for everyday...

Fresh Market, if I'm feeling flush....

wishing Trader Joe's would come to the Sunshine State.

carlomarx

Cyburbian
Strafer Joe's

Being from the CA, I agree with the Trader Joe's kudos. Yes, Whole Foods is more expensive, but when you consider that you can sample to your heart's content (aka the college student meal surcharge), the manna averages out the overpriced items.

Or one can use my technique: shop at Trader Joe's, eat (and buy wine) at Whole Foods.

Cheers

prudence

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
I shop at Jewel when I use a supermarket, but I tend to frequent my corner store a lot more (or I'm buying something I can't get at Jewel like tea).
Jewel doesn't have tea?!?

Can a mod add Dominic's to the list. They have the best deli section and a very good meat section...though I will still visit the local butcher for choice cuts.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Jewel doesn't have tea?!?
It's not very good tea. Bigelow and twinnings just dosen't cut it. Also you can't buy loose tea there so you have to pay a large teabag markup on the shitty tea.

I got a kilogram (500 cups) of Gunpowder in Chinatown a bit ago for about $5. That's the best deal I've gotten there they have a lot of good quality but reasonably priced tea. Pretty much anything green or oolong can be had there.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmm I think my vote was misplaced in the Pick N' Save, because I voted other, before any other categories were added...

Well the only supermarket I remember from the US is ShopRite.... :p so if anybody wants to put it as an option put my vote there ;)

Habanero

Cyburbian
HEB Central Market in Texas, AJ's, Sprouts, or Trader Joe's in AZ. I hate Whole Foods, over priced- I'd much rather go to a smaller store.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Weggies ... definitely. Gawd, I miss them; no supermarket in Kansas City comes close. Here, there's HyVee, Hen House (my preference), Fresh Mart, Pic N' Save, and Whole Foods. Wal-Mart's Neighborhood Market is on the way.

When I was in Las Cruces, there was Smith's, reportedly owned by the Church of Latter Day Saints. Great supermarket ... open 24 hours, large, clean, nicely appointed, and regardless of the rumored ownership, a good beer and liquor selection. In Orlando, I shopped at Publix, or drove a few miles to one of the new prototype Albertsons.

There's also a Wild Oats a few blocks from my house. I said it before, and I'll say it again ... the customers at Wild Oats are the coldest, most unfriendly bunch of hippies you'll ever see. The checkout people are friendly as can be, but the customers .. gawd, what are they angry about? Glance at someone in the aisles, and you'll get the stink eye back ... not just from stocky Subaru-driving women with short grey hair, but from everybody. What's the deal?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Greenescapist - Sorry, no Trader Joe's in Madison. There is a Whole Foods near campus, and be sure to check out Brennan's. The Willy Street Coop is also a good place to shop. Oh, and don't forget the farmer's market, which continues year-round by moving into Monona Terrace from November to April.

Wegmans Wegmans Wegmans. My own personal mecca is their superstore in Pittsford, NY (outside of Rochester) - I make my best friend take me everytime we go out to visit them. I dream of the day they come to Albany.

In South Carolina, Publix was our store of choice. We used to drive the 25 minutes from Clemson to Anderson to do our weekly shopping there, for meat, deli and produce.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This is not fair... I live in a good size area (500,000 in the MSA) and we only have one store from that list.

What about:

Wise
Giant
CVS
Econo Foods
Super One Foods
and IGA

nerudite

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
What about:

Wise
Giant
CVS
Econo Foods
Super One Foods
and IGA
I thought about adding IGA... but they are one of my favourite, as well as one of my least favourite, grocers. Some are awesome... with amazing delis and fresh produce, and some are total holes. The one here in St. Albert is wonderful!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
In South Carolina, Publix was our store of choice. We used to drive the 25 minutes from Clemson to Anderson to do our weekly shopping there, for meat, deli and produce.
There's a new Bi-Lo in Clemson that's pretty good...Starbucks and all, but when it comes down to it, you can't beat Publix. I heard that one is going to be built in Seneca...That would have saved you a little drive time.

As for overall best my vote has to go to Ukrops. They are only found in and around Richmond, VA and have the best prepared foods, salad bars and nice clean stores of any supermarket I've ever been in.

jresta

Cyburbian
Some of the new Acme's are OK but the older stores are terrible, I'm not a fan of Shoprite or Superfresh or Giant/Super G, Foodtown is usually pretty good. Pathmark hasn't been updated since the 70's. Genuardi's is a nice store. Wegman's is cool too. A&P is usually on top if it as well.

The two closest grocery stores to me occupy opposite corners of the same intersection. One is Whole Foods and the other is SuperFresh.

I've gone into SuperFresh a few times and it seems like selling food is a secondary activity there. Half the store is dedicated to soda, paper plates and napkins, laundry detergent, household chemicals, and the like. The rest of the store is boxes and cans.

I'm a low level planner for a state agency. I don't make a lot of money but i never thought of Whole Foods as being expensive. I just enjoy eating. Besides, it's what i put in my body so i've never looked at it like an appliance where i can save money if i get a lesser model.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Good Grocercies!

Here in Denver, we've Wild Oats (Dan, you're right about the clientele - especially at the Greenwood Village store @ Orchard & University..."excuse me, is that yogurt haute?") with Whole Foods from Austin movin' in on their turf. I'd really like to see a branch of Trader Joe's join the fray, too.

The big chain is King Soopers, a Kroger operation. They do a pretty good job and that's where I do most of my serious shopping...good vegetables with lots of "buy 1, get 1 free deals."

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
HEB CENTRAL MARKET in da house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother works in the produce dept in Austin (West Gate) and I get to go in there all the time and sample some pretty interesting stuff. It's all so good and soo fresh. They actually get alot of their produce from local growers. Don't think many larger grocery stores can boast that!

steveanne

Wegmans

Hands down, the best Grocery store is Wegmans.

I've shopped Jewel, Giant Eagle, Dominicks/Safeway, Tops, Publix, Winn Dixie, Albertsons, Cub Foods, Bells (anyone remember that one?), Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, Trader Joe's, Butera, A&P, Wal-Mart (yuck), Super Valu, Price Chopper, and P&C. But none of these compare to Wegmans. Publix does get a distant second with Jewel taking the bronze. The worst supermarket I have ever been in (besides Wal-Mart) is Butera Foods. This place is pretty gross.

chasqui

Cyburbian
Central Market

I have to agree with Habanero and Jessie-J - HEB's Central Market is Great. They use local growers and have the best produce section. They are growing. They have opened stores in Dallas and Fort-Worth which are ALWAYS packed. They are a bit pricey but the food is better. (I have a soft-spot for their bakery and cheese sections)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I think HEB Central Market is VERY competitively priced with other grocery stores. Randall's is more expensive and with Whole Foods, there is no contest. Central Market, I think, is well priced for what it is...and you can find food that you'd find in a regular grocery store as well as alternative and organic items.

Props to my Texas homies!

Runner

Cyburbian
Yes, H-E-B's Central Market is great. I think the entire company does a great job overall and as has already been stated they do a good job of buying local.
Also, as I mentioned in another thread Charles Butt (Howard E. Butt's son) is more than willing to go toe to toe with WalMart in a given location and when they do the kick a$$. WalMart just looks silly.

H

Cyburbian
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market

I was in Orlando this weekend, saw this, and thought this was interesting; it is a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (a new twist). It is about the size of a standard big box grocery, it is like a super Wal-Mart without the Wal-Mart (!?).

Taking into context all the “bad” things I have to say about Wal-Mart, it was very nice grocery. (but I am not nominating it to the list by any means)

Anyone else seen one of these? Any of you Central Fla folks been here?

Just want to share.

Last edited:

Runner

Cyburbian
I've heard about WalMart's neighborhood market but I have never seen one. Now at least I've seen a picture of one. I'll still stick with H-E-B and grocery stores in general. I'd rather trust my food to the hands of food focused retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.