• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Beware of the Mullet!!!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I know you all have seen it and some even fear it. Take a look at a classic mullet (hairdo) and please submit more photos. I know some of you are sporting mullets yourselves, so don't be afraid to submit your photos!

Have fun!!! What's up?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There exists one picture of me with a mullet.

It was taken in 1991, when my then-girlfriend thought I should try to grow my hair long. Having curly hair, the only way to do so was to tell the barber "short in the front, long in the back" over a few months.

She loved it. I thought it looked like crap, so I had it cut off. Long hair and facial hair just doesn't look good on me.

I still see mulleted planners at APA conferences. They're usually in their 50s. No, I don't get it either.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNA said:
did we not talk about this already?
Mullets are a perennial topic of interest to Cyburbanites.

Hmmmm... there exist a few photos of me with long hair, but I'm not sure I want to be posting any of them.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Zoning Goddess said:
I see too much of that around Sanford.
Sanford? Minor leagues. Go to Winter Garden, or beter yet ...

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
Rate My Mullet is the best place for mullet lovers and gawkers.

I had a kind of mullet back in junior high called a rat tail. It's like a mullet but only half an inch or so wide. Even worse was that I would bleach it blond to contrast with my dark brown hair. Luckily all photos of this poor choice in hairstyle have been destroyed.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Wanigas? said:
Just got back from Orange Beach, Alabama and one of the free local papers down there is The Mullett Wrapper

When I saw it I thought of fat white guys (sorry fat white guys) with bad hair doing hip hop music 8-! :-D

biscuit

Cyburbian
Mullet Central

Mrs. Biscuit and I spent the day at the local amusment park yesterday and from what I saw there I can report with confidence that the mullet is alive and well here in Western Pennsylvania. There were Fem Mullets, Kiddie Mullets, Kentucky Waterfalls... mullets everywhere! They're relatively safe when admired from a distance but beware when in close proximity of a mullet. Case in point; I was one of the coasters and found myself facing a man sporting a particularly long mullet sitting in the car in front of me. I spent the entirety of the ride weaving from side to side to avoid his ‘crown and glory’ as it whipped back towards my face as we descended every hill. Truly a harrowing experience...

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
This is just so wrong. Poor kid.

My 2 1/2 year old loves to point out mullets in the store. Wal Mart is smorgasbord for that (I only go because it's cheap and I can make fun of people too).

nerudite

Cyburbian
I found a picture of BiteMeElmo with a mullet that was taken when he was in junior high or high school. Looks pretty funny... but I'm sure it was 'in' back then. Of course, back in the rural parts of Nova Scotia, it probably still is 'in'.

There was a period of about three months where I had a mullet sometimes. What I actually did was shave the part of my hair above my ears in the 80s, and then I combed down the top over the shaved part when I was around my parents so they couldn't see that I really had a mohawk type thing. Either they never figured it out, or they didn't care, because they never talked to me about the mohawk/mullet. I got a real talking to when I dyed my hair blue though. :(

Budgie

Cyburbian
I used to shave the first four inches of my hair all the way around, kinda like a monk or sever bowl cut, but the hair on top was areola length. Exactly the way Jason Newstead (old bassist for Flotsam and Jetsam, oh yeah .. and Metallica) used to wear his in the late 80's early 90's. It was nice cause I could let it hang down and no one new I shaved my head, but it was not as hot as a full head of hair. I could pull it all back into a pony tale (which looked like a coon skin cap). I also braided it into corn rows with beads on the end -- ala Bo Derek. That lasted about a week. A lot of gel, spritz or egg whites and I could sculpt a major tall mohawk. You can also get creative with the shaving, like putting racing strips or checker boards on you head. I'm working on growing it out as we speak.

Attachments

Last edited:

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
You can also get creative with the shaving, like putting racing strips or checker boards on you head. I'm working on growing it out as we speak.
This is kind of off the mullet topic, but back in high school, the football players used to shave their numbers above their ears. Like Nerudite said, I think back then it was the thing to do. What the heck were we thinking???

Oh, and for what its worth, an image search on google brought up this image:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Why is it that if a man's hair is short in front and long in the back it's called a 'mullet' and if a woman's hair is short in front and long in back it's called...um, well, it's not called a mullet?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Why is it that if a man's hair is short in front and long in the back it's called a 'mullet' and if a woman's hair is short in front and long in back it's called...um, well, it's not called a mullet?

Sure it is. Its the fe-mullet!

I think one of the reasons the mullet was popular amoung young people was its ability to compromise. I wanted long hair in high school but my "hypocrite" dad wouldn't let me (he had long hair in the 60's). So the obvious compromise was to cut the front and sides so I wouldn't "look like a bum" but would still look cool at band practice. I'm sure this story played out in sullen kids' bedrooms across the world.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Sure it is. Its the fe-mullet!
I think one of the reasons the mullet was popular amoung young people was its ability to compromise. I wanted long hair in high school but my "hypocrite" dad wouldn't let me (he had long hair in the 60's). So the obvious compromise was to cut the front and sides so I wouldn't "look like a bum" but would still look cool at band practice. I'm sure this story played out in sullen kids' bedrooms across the world.
So you were all business in the front and party in the back? :-D

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
I'll give the first one here a coupon for $1.00 off their next haircut at Bo-Rics if they can tell us what s skullet is.

Oh darn... forget about it... this is too dang funny not to share with you right now...

Habanero

Cyburbian
I have a camera phone for mullet hunting. o:) My fiance and I send pictures back and forth. Here's the latest from last night:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Habanero said:
I have a camera phone for mullet hunting. o:) My fiance and I send pictures back and forth. Here's the latest from last night:
Someone was at Hooters last night.... ;-)

Habanero

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Say Hab, were you there dining or working?
:-D Dining, it's one of my favorite places to go. I wanted to work there in college but I was told it might look bad when Iwas applying for "real" jobs.

Wanigas? said:
Chet, I had no idea you had a mullet! :-D

BKM

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
My goodness, I was wondering what happened to ROSEANNE ;-)
God I miss Fat Chicks in Party Hats. Seanbaby hasn't updated in a couple years.

Rem

Cyburbian
I got this in an email today. It was titled "80's Child Abuse".

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
;-) :-\
Q. Were those people the sole finacial reason that a hair spray company stayed in business.

cnyOntario

If everyone knows that it's not "cool" to have a mullet, why do people still have them? I don't get it. Do these people want others to make fun of them?

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
It's a good way to trick unsuspecting planners into making fun of them so they can say "dem fightin' words!" and pop you in the jaw. There seems to be a strong relationship between mullets and people who like to get into bar fights.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
bizzo34 said:
If everyone knows that it's not "cool" to have a mullet, why do people still have them? I don't get it. Do these people want others to make fun of them?
I think it's just a part of lower middle class, rural Confederate-oriented culture that is somewhat insular. There is little physical interaction with middle-class Yankee culture. Internet use is limited to sports (ESPN, NASCAR) and glurge (flowery tributes to 9-11, poetry about Jesus, etc.), and they don't go anywhere the hip, trendy sites where mullets are routinely mocked. They're just unaware of cultural norms, I think.

Among Mexican-Americans, where mullets are still very popular, an insular culture and language barrier might explain the phenomenon. "¿Que es el mullet?"

I wonder if there are legitimate fashion shows where lower middle class, rural Confederate-oriented fashion trends are highlighted. Is there a "spring show" in Nashville or Birmingham, where buyers for truckstop chains are shown the latest howling wolf, unicorn, eagle and Harley-Davidson t-shirts? Where did whiskey tango fashions and trends get their start, and why do they have more endurance than mainstream cultural trends? Feathered hair, bandanas, wallets with chains, shiny CB radios -- the 1970s live in some Southern communities.

Lookie here ... this one has them extry channels the lib'rul FCC don't like

I don't get the lesbian mullets, though.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Spotted on I-271 while I was driving home from work Tuesday afternoon.

Attachments

JNL

Cyburbian
I have some very troublesome news to share. While in Europe, I saw a LOT if mullets. It seems to be trendy :-c They were sported by young, well-dressed men and women.

No photos sorry, I was too traumatised by the sight of them to get my camera out and take a picture.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I have some very troublesome news to share. While in Europe, I saw a LOT if mullets. It seems to be trendy :-c They were sported by young, well-dressed men and women.

No photos sorry, I was too traumatised by the sight of them to get my camera out and take a picture.
Ha! In five years we'll all be telling our barbers to "leave the back" so we can try to look Euro-chic. ^o)

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
You wanna see femullets and skullets and other assorted atrocities? You gotta go to Mulletjunky.com

Good ol' fashioned workin' class towns like Decatur have a higher mullet quotient than you will find in larger metros. Last week, the Civic Center sponsored "Ultimate Fighting" ("It's 100 percent real!"). This was the highest mullet sighting around these parts for years, eclipsing last October's Doctor Cue's Billiards Contest and Exhibition. But for mullet spotting, nothing will beat this weekend's Decatur Celebration ("Illinois' Largest Free Street Fair"). Thousands of mullets and others will spill onto the streets this weekend to enjoy music from the Gin Blossom's comeback tour, listen to the Black Diamond (seriously, this is an African American performer covering all of Neil Diamond's hits), and eat alligator on a stick and more gyros than you can keep down. We'll miss it this year--gotta find a house in Grand Rapids. Fewer mullets up there.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I was at the fair and rodeo this weekend and saw 5 mullets. 2 were shemullets. :-C