• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Bicycles & garage storage design

SGB

Cyburbian
OK all you bicycling enthusiasts: my brain hurts, and I need ideas.

We have a 2/3 bay garage at our house that we use for storage.

I'm trying to design a shelf system and storage layout, and I'm wondering what the most space efficient method is for storing 5 adult bikes. My wife & I have 3 right now, but Little SGB will need an adult bike in about 10 years or so, and #2 (due in early April) will hopefully want a bike, too.

I'm not sure suspending from the ceiling horizontally is an option, given the space constraints I'm dealing with. I also need to save space to eventually lay out a workshop area for me as well.

I'm no designer, by any means - that's why the brain hurts! Any ideas?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Well, here's an ugly and probably not too helpful idea. My son has 2 bikes and I have one. I only have a carport. So we have 3 bikes in the family room, which we have to weave around to get anywhere. Hope you do better than we did...

The Irish One

A bike or two always looks cool in the house BUT, run that by the misses.

Seems like you're gonna have to take the mixed parking fix. Hang a couple of bikes in the garage and one in the house. With the rugrats they could be tough on the bike and the kids could get hurt, so do you have any closet space? A porch, balcony?

H

Cyburbian
SGB said:
I'm not sure suspending from the ceiling horizontally is an option, given the space constraints I'm dealing with. I also need to save space to eventually lay out a workshop area for me as well.
When I lived in the “frat house” in the 2 foot x 3 foot cubby (felt like), I suspended the bike vertically on the wall because my bed was suspended from the ceiling. Would that work for you? Vertical wall storage?

I have ours now in the living room with the package of hooks lying on the floor next to them. (I am lazy about some things; I am supposed to hang them in the extra room/office). But we have a large living room and the space would just go unused if bikes weren’t there ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Similar to ZG
Sorry not much help here either - my bike is in my living room.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Since toddlers could get hurt with the bikes.. the best way to store them is in a closet. But a pic or sketch of the garage would help to see how much space is available.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Bicycles & garage storage design

Huston said:
... because my bed was suspended from the ceiling.
What? Did that frat room also include mirrors and a swing?;)

SGB

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Since toddlers could get hurt with the bikes.. the best way to store them is in a closet. But a pic or sketch of the garage would help to see how much space is available.
Our youngest is a older toddler (almost 4), and very good at not going into the garage without an adult.

A picture probably wouldn't help much, as all the stuff that needs to be stored in the garage is not in there yet. It's all in a storage unit we rent.

I've had George Carlin's "A Place For My Stuff" going through my head for days now as I try to figure out where to put it all until the spring tag sale.

H

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Bicycles & garage storage design

biscuit said:
What? Did that frat room also include mirrors and a swing?;)
It was a stationary bunk bed thing placed up high to fit the couch underneath. The bed was suspended from the ceiling with chains to support the weight and then stationed to the wall with bolts.

Talk about hard to get a girl into your bed! ;)

SGB

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
.... do you have any closet space? A porch, balcony?
Alas, the closet space is taken. We don't have a porch, balcony or any other type of secure semi-sheltered outdoor space.

We once rented a small townhouse that had a locable storage closet off the back deck. The was perfect for the bikes in season. Off season it held about a 1/3 cord of wood for the fireplace.

donk

Cyburbian
My three bikes live in the house, whichever one I just got off is in the front hallway, the other two are hung from the ceiling in the backroom.

If you can see your studs, try making holders/supports for the top tube and lag bolting them to the studs(only if 2x6 or wider) .Just make sure that the handlebars have a bit of room between them them and the wall. Width of each bike would be in the 24 inch range and you can stack them 2 high if need be.

SGB

Cyburbian
An addititional question:

Are there any disadvantages to hanging bikes from their tires? Does doing so damage the rims over time at all?

Right now, I'm thinking that vertical storage on a wall may be the best approach right now.

donk

Cyburbian
No disadavantage to hanging, just don't catch the valve stem on the hook. If you are concerned about the rims, put some fabric on the hooks to prevent scratching.

If you have a suspension bike, compress the shocks a few times before riding to reset the oil and/or air.

martini

Cyburbian
BIke storage, eh? No problem! If you can see through the mess in the picture below, you can see I have three methods of storage.

I've got wheel hooks(no issues at all from hanging from the wheels{unless you have a suspension fork, that is, the pressure can weaken the seals}). I also use a T-bar style thingy and hang the bikes from the seat, two right next to each other. Other wise, they're scattered on the floor leaning against every odd thing. Needless to say, the car doesn't get into the garge. I think there's 14 bikes in the pic.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
martini said:
BIke storage, eh? No problem! If you can see through the mess in the picture below, you can see I have three methods of storage.

[image snipped]

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Look Up

My old garage has space -- I'd guess you'd call it an attic -- where I can store sundry items. It's a little bit of a hassle because there are no stairs and you don't want to be schlepping heavy stuff up there. But it is ideal for my two kid's trikes, plastic cars, inflatable pools, toy houses and whatnot after the weather breaks.

If you have a similar framing system, you might be able to use that for storage -- or possibly your workshop if there is a stair or room to build one-- to free space up below for the bikes.

I would not suggest hanging the bikes from the rims. My Peugeot U-108 was damaged that way. Use the frame!

Good luck.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
We've got two in a minibarn 1/2 hidden under an old drafting table, one propped against the couch in the back room, and one in the hatch of my car. So, yeah, we have storage issues too. At least when they're in the house/car they get used more often. Seems like the more inaccessible they are, the less they get used. Ours used to gather lots of dust hanging from the ceiling.