• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • On Thursday night (2/21), I did something I probably shouldn't have with the server. I lost about 90 posts and three new users in the process. If you registered on Thursday, please re-register. If you posted on Thursday, maybe post twice as much on Friday? Again, I apologize. :(

Big box annex?

WA Planner

I heard an interesting idea recently: For each permitted big box retailer permitted outside urban areas, make a requirement to either; a) pay into a downtown redevelopment fund, or more interesting, b) open a small percentage of floor area, perhaps 3 percent, as an annex downtown. I'm certain such an ordinance would not stand up to legal challenge, but it would be another strategy to address the impacts of sprawl.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Interesting ideas, though I don't understand b). One town I worked in convinced the hospital and near town mall to be contributing members of the main street organization ($1,000 a year). Whether or not you can force a contribution depends on your state legislation and your courts (after you convince the local government to try it).