• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Big buildings and emergency service radios

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We are redoing all of our regulations and something that I was thinking of was radio connection in large buildings such as schools, industrial buildings and major big box retailers. I know that there are some large buildings that have zero radio connection and in today's society where police and fire communication can be the difference between life and death, I was wondering if anyone wrote in a requirement for bidirectional repeaters or something similar to make sure that those inside the structure can communicate with the rest of the world.

Any examples or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

shell_waster

Cyburbian
This topic came up a couple of years ago during an annual state Fire Marshal conference and the FM for my former employer came back with some interesting language they wanted us to adopt. I advised that it would be much easier, quicker and met with less resistance if he adopted it within the Fire section of the code of ordinances. I'm not sure if he moved forward with that or not and it could have been because he did/does not know how to start that process. He brought this up during a department head meeting and the Chief of Police was very supportive but did not offer to help get it adopted. Truth be known I think they both wanted P&Z to be the whipping boy for their ordinance because they knew what kind of push back would occur from the owners of large industrial buildings as they would be required to upgrade their facilities when a new occupant moved in.

Top Bottom