• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Big Things

donk

Cyburbian
The picture of the boy with the boot in the "Honey moon" thread made me think of of this topic. What "big" statues are near you and what do you think of them. I'll provide a few examples and images.

1) Sudbury - the big nickel
2) Vegreville ALTA, the big easter egg (see image)
3) Near kingston - the big apple
4) Fort Francis Ont/ Place in Mn - the big thermometer
5) Nackawic NB - the big axe
6) Plaster Rock NB - fiddle heads ( fern greens, not the instrument)
7) Near Sussex NB - dancing blueberry and giant holstein
8) Fredericton/ Maugerville - Harvey the dancing potato
10) shediac's giant lobster (see image)

In some cases I find them really funny ( the fiddle heads) in others they seem tacky. What do you think?

donk

Cyburbian
Here are some fiddle heads. So you know you steam them and serve them with lemon and butter. Kinda like dulse, it is an aquired taste. (especially if you don't like the way lawn clippings taste)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mercer WI

"Loon Capital of the World..."

I had to break my silence for this one...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
and how can you miss

...the world's largest ball of twine!

el Guapo

Capitalist
bTurk - Our town has a bigger ball!

I challenge your big ball of twine with our big ball of twine. HA!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/MNDARtwine.html

And our big ball is more aesthetically pleasing and smells of potpourri.

Note: Legend has it that somewhere in Northwest Kansas there stands the "World's Largest Free-Standing Concrete Prairie Dog." Locals say he tops 40 feet or more.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Is this going to degenerate into an argument over who has the biggest balls?

sorry - couldn't resist...

Virtue City

Cyburbian
'Free Stamp'

I don't have a picture, but up here we have a giant ink stamp that lies on its side. It says 'FREE' on it. I'll look to see if I can find a picture.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
obviously El Guapo

Tranplanner wrote:
Is this going to degenerate into an argument over who has the biggest balls?
El Guapo is muy rugged and prolly requires a shoulder sling for his 'boys'.

PS - Please, no photoshop interpretations....

seannelson

p-dog

Note: Legend has it that somewhere in Northwest Kansas there stands the "World's Largest Free-Standing Concrete Prairie Dog." Locals say he tops 40 feet or more. [/QUOTE]

El Guapo-
I believe the beast to be in Oakley, KS.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Thar She Blows!

My "favorite" sign in NH...Yokens Restaurant, a huge whale. Here's a historic pic, from the 1940's. The new sign is even bigger and colorful.

nerudite

Cyburbian
This post was made for Alberta...

The towns in this area must be so starved for tourism dollars... wait 'til you get a load of this list.

Top Ten Pathetic Big Things in Alberta

10. World's Largest Mallard Duck -- Andrew
9. World's Largest Putter -- Bow Island
8. Susie, the World's Largest Softball -- Chauvin
7. World's Biggest Piggy Bank -- Coleman
6. World's Largest Western Boot -- Edmonton (frighteningly close to where I live!)
5. World's Largest Badminton Raquet -- St. Albert
4. Starship FX6-1995-A -- Vulcan (yes that's the real name)
3. Giant Can of Cream -- Markerville
2. Giant Ukrainian Sausage -- Mundare

and finally...

1. The World's Largest Pyrogy -- Glendon (see pic)

You can find these and many more big statues at the Large Canadian Roadside Attraction website: http://www.cyberbeach.net/~solonyka/LCRA/main.htm.

Glomer

Sorry....
How do you enter images?? I figured I could just copy and paste.......guess not.

I guess you will just have to imagine such things as

worlds biggest revolver
worlds biggest arrow stuck in ground
uncle sam
large snowman
jolly the green giant
Paul Bunyan
etc....

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Glomer wrote:
Sorry....
How do you enter images??
Hit reply, or quote, then write your message, scroll down to the attach file button...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I don't think this counts, but in my land development code, I've got several pictures of giant "muffler men" as examples of prohibited signage.

Roadside America has a pretty good sized inventory of "big things" in the United States and Canada.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hmmmm

Journeymouse wrote:
I'm not surprised that he's blue - it looks bloody freezing...
Journeymouse - Have you had exposure to American folklore? Babe the blue ox was Paul Bunyan's side kick. :)

Although I've travelled the U.K. I don't recall ever seeing "Big Things" there. I have to wonder if the urge to create monumental monstrocities a North American quirk...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Hmmmm

bturk wrote:
Although I've travelled the U.K. I don't recall ever seeing "Big Things" there. I have to wonder if the urge to create monumental monstrocities a North American quirk...
Well, there is Stonehenge...I guess you could think of that as a big pile of rocks...

I seem to remember seeing large chalk "drawings" carved into hillsides in some places. King Alfred's Horse is the one that sticks in my head.

Definitely not the same sense of "schtick" humour over there. \

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Tranplanner wrote:
Well, there is Stonehenge...I guess you could think of that as a big pile of rocks...
Aside from the odd pile of rocks (historic), lots of "Look, we're so poor we can only afford 10 servants"-type buildings of assorted ages (historic and status symbols) and various chalk figures (also historic and/or artistic), the Brit's don't generally go in for large scale sculptures and stuff. The only exception I can think of is the Angel of the North, which can be found near Gateshead (map on multimap) and looks like this:

Norris

"Superlambanana!" Don't write the UK off so quickly. This is on the dockfront in Liverpool and is a favourite.

Virtue City

Cyburbian
Guitarmania!

I just HAD to resurrect this thread!!!

Check out http://www.cleveland.com/guitarmania/index2.ssf?/guitarmania/guitars.html

All around downtown Cleveland, we have these 8 foot tall guitars. There are around forty of them scattered throughout the city. Local celebs like Omar Vizquel of the Indians and Michael Stanley have painted these huge stratocasters. Now this is what I call public art!

On a side note, we also have Bourgeiose's (sp?) giant spiders. From what I hear, they were on display in London, Paris, and Washington before they came here. I'll work on finding a pic.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Hayward WI - Freshwater Fishing Hall Of Fame. Yes indeed, you can walk up into the Muskie's mouth.