• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • On Thursday night (2/21), I did something I probably shouldn't have with the server. I lost about 90 posts and three new users in the process. If you registered on Thursday, please re-register. If you posted on Thursday, maybe post twice as much on Friday? Again, I apologize. :(

Biosolid Storage

IPlan?

Cyburbian
I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with a Processed Food Waste being used as Biosolid Fertilizer where the waste is trucked in and stored in a manure tank and then spread on the surrounding fields? Although the applicant must prove to other regulating bodies a net benefit of the waste as a fertilizer for the lands they will be applying it to, our concern is that the manure tank is now a waste storage facility, and is not part of a normal agricultural practise. Does anyone have regulations for biosolid waste storage in a rural area?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
IPlan? said:
, our concern is that the manure tank is now a waste storage facility, and is not part of a normal agricultural practise. Does anyone have regulations for biosolid waste storage in a rural area?
Do you have regs for manure storage? I may be missing something, but I don't see these wastes as a bigger problem than manure. Seems to me that the only difference is where the waste comes from.

IPlan?

Cyburbian
We do have regulations for manure storage, minimum seperation of 300 metres, unless otherwise calculated. These biosolids are from meat processing plants, cookie plants etc. and can create a nice smell. Difference - Manure is a by product of the farm operation, biosolid is trucked on site and is a waste that needs approvals for hauling and spreading and storage. By trucking it on site, storing it, it becomes a waste facility. Also, the main use of the property could then become the waste operation (which is supposed to be a good money making operation) and the crop production is secondary.

I was asked a good question the other day. If the municipal land base for agricultural equals or is near the amount of land required to spread the existing manure produced from farm animals should they be permitted to spead waste?