• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Birth order

What is your birth order

• First born, it is good to be the king

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • Last born, I just love the attention

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Poor abused middle child

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • I am an only child

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • I don't quite fit with the choices, so I am splain'n below

Votes: 13 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Ok, I was at a meeting last week and the topic of birth order and personality came up. Being a Cyburbia geek, I knew it was time for a poll.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am the fourth of five. (Hmmm... Is that like Seven of Nine?) I have a youger brother who is the last, by about five minutes.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I'm the last of 2... but actually i'm quite like the middle son, my dog kinda takes the "last child" place :(

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
I'm the youngest of four and I never received any special or extra attention, so I voted for the fifth option.

I really don't believe all that birth order sociology stuff - it's too simplistic. If everyone had the same set of circumstances impacting the family at every moment in the family's history, then yeah, I could believe all that birth order rhetoric. But in my case, at my birth, my family was financially strapped - quite a different life experience when my mom and dad were first married at had their first two kids. My dad lost his business, was diagnosed with depression, put on ineffective and damaging medication, and my mom had to pick up a lot of the financial slack while he recovered. Luckily, my two oldest siblings were teenagers when I was a toddler and they helped out with the child rearing while my mom worked. Their care did not translate into any special attention - as teenagers they resented the parental role they were saddled with. They did an adequate job, and I love them dearly for the responsibility the accepted. I distinctly remember my sister taking me to her high school when I was four. Long hippie hair, bell-bottoms, a student smoking section, and overhead projectors are all that I remember from 1976.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I started as a middle with all the usual baggage; not the pioneer, not the baby. My older sister died 20 years ago, leaving me the oldest, of sorts. My little brother and I are still having "order" issues. But for the most part, we get along well, and he is super with my son, pays him a lot of extra attention even tho' he has 3 kids of his own (I'm a single mom).

Runner

Cyburbian
I'm the oldest of three. My sister is a year and a half younger and brother is five and a half years younger. We pretty much fit the birth order mold.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm the oldest of two. And I must recognize, there was quite a disparity in rules and attention. Everything was very strict for me, and a breeze with my younger brother.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I've got two answers.

1) Only child; that's how I was raised by my adoptive parents.

2) First child of four (I'm 37; they're 33, 30 and 22), when my recently discovered natural brothers and sister are considered.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I've got two answers.

1) Only child; that's how I was raised by my adoptive parents.

2) First child of four (I'm 37; they're 33, 30 and 22), when my recently discovered natural brothers and sister are considered.
Well, my birth order I was counting was from my adoptive parents.

I'm assuming that I'm the oldest of my natural siblings. I know that there is one sibling out there (a half-brother), and that he is one month younger than me. But that's only because I got some classified information... I have yet ot meet any of my siblings or natural parents.

donk

Cyburbian
Of my sister and I am am the oldest (14months). As a kid (3-7) I had an older step sister. I also curently have a younger step sister (3 years), that we don't talk about.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm the second of two. My brother is eight years older than me, so I don't think the stereotypical birth order profile really fits me.

I'm the oldest of three, and all of us fit pretty well into the stereotypes. There are 2 1/2 years between each of us, and my sister, who was the youngest, grew up in a very different house than I did.

TP - I've heard that if there is more than 5 years between siblings, you'll tend to be more characteristic of an only child.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
KMateja said:

TP - I've heard that if there is more than 5 years between siblings, you'll tend to be more characteristic of an only child.
I'd say that's true. In some ways it was like I had two dads - the authority figure, and the "fun" dad. My brother used to take me along on his record hunting expeditions, and we'd do all kinds of stuff. Later, when he was in college, I'd make sure the house didn't burn down when he threw parties while my parents were away.

biscuit

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I'm the oldest of two. And I must recognize, there was quite a disparity in rules and attention. Everything was very strict for me, and a breeze with my younger brother.
Same here, except I have a younger sister, by 2 yrs. who managed to avoid a lot of the parental prying that I went through.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Youngest of two and got away with murder becasue of it.

jmf

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
I am 6 1/2 years older than my only sister. I think this is true, in part but also in that amount of time some things change a lot.

For example when I went to university I had the choice between all-girls or co-ed residence, my father indicated that I really didn't have a choice! But years later when my sister went away she didn't have the choice, there were only co-ed residences, but my dad seemed OK with it.

At the same time, I worry/care more about what my parents think, I figure sometimes it just makes life easier while most of the time my sister doesn't think about them at all she just does what she wants.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Youngest of 2 or 4, depending on when you count from. I only grew up with my sister, as my oldest half-brother was adopted out. I know my brother now, he also grew up with a brother, so it's really like I'm the youngest of 4 now, and treated very much like the youngest sibling. We're only about 13 months apart each, so everyone who doesn't know my life story thinks my Mom was a very busy woman. :)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Ditto....

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
It looks like the out-going first borns are taking the lead, as I suspected.

giff57 said:
It looks like the out-going first borns are taking the lead, as I suspected.
My husband, Rob, another Planner is also a first born, with a sister 2 years younger, and they are definitely classic birth order personalities.

If you buy into it, the first born as planners type personalities makes sense - the organizational skills, the mediator skills, etc.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
KMateja said:

If you buy into it, the first born as planners type personalities makes sense - the organizational skills, the mediator skills, etc.
That is what I thought too

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I don't know about that first-born theory. I'm the youngest of two, but I am far more organized (and, I think, financially responsible) than my sister!

Mud Princess said:
I don't know about that first-born theory. I'm the youngest of two, but I am far more organized (and, I think, financially responsible) than my sister!
I definitely think that for a lot of people, the theory has merit, but also for just as many people it doesn't apply to either - my mom and her sister totally don't fit the birth order theory. Nor my dad and his siblings.

JNL

Cyburbian
jmf said:

At the same time, I worry/care more about what my parents think, I figure sometimes it just makes life easier while most of the time my sister doesn't think about them at all she just does what she wants.
It's the same with my little sister! I can't believe how rude she is to my parents and the things she gets away with! And she doesn't seem to have ever learnt how to be tactful - she always says what she thinks straight off which sometimes leads to offending people.

My oldest sister is 28, next is 26, me at 23 and littlest at 18. The oldest and youngest have had the most attention, for various reasons.

Floridays

Cyburbian
I am the "big sis" to 2 brothers. One is a year younger than me and we've always been very close. The other is 5 years younger and I tormented him beyond belief while we were growing up. :)
However, he has always been the most "goal-oriented" of the three sibs and is definitely in the best position financially.

JNL

Cyburbian
I am probably the most "goal-oriented" of my sibliings and in the best position financially. My oldest and youngest sisters are hopeless with money - they never have any!

JNL said:
I am probably the most "goal-oriented" of my sibliings and in the best position financially. My oldest and youngest sisters are hopeless with money - they never have any!
Me too. Although my siblings are still pretty young (22 and 24), so they really aren't supposed to have any money yet. Christmas and birthday presents are bought by me, and signed by all of us.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm the first of four - me, brother, two sisters. I fit all the stereotypes of the oldest sibling. I never got into trouble, bit I sure could instigate.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Oldest of three. My sister is three years younger, and my brother is 14 years younger. My sister acts like a youngest child, and my brother is much more like an only child.

IPlan

Cyburbian
I am the youngest of 8... but there is a six year gap between me and my next oldest family member.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Fourth of 4.

I was right in line for being spoiled like crazy until when I was 10 my parents split.

My dad remarried she had two girls both younger so no spoiling there and my ma went back to school ultimatly getting her PHD. so Damn I lost out there too.

KMateja said:

That's probably true in my case as well. My older brother and I are 7 years apart.

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
Smack dab in the middle...

Birth order in my family:
Older Brother
Older Sister
ME
Younger Sister
Younger Brother

I thought for sure there was something special about the boy-girl-boy-girl-boy birth pattern until I took statistics and found out the odds were one in thirty-two, which isn't all that special. !$@#$@^ statistics!

Breed

Cyburbian
Second of four... although there's an eleven year difference between the first two and the last two. The story my parent's used is that since my brother and I were 11 and 15, we'd be able to provide free babysitting for the second round of kids.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I am the second of two from my mother and father, but I do have a half brother who is 24 years younger than I am. My full brother is almost 7 years older than me so that whole idea of only children comes into play. However, I definitely got away with murder thing. However, I was always at my grandmother's house with two of my other cousins, making me the oldest in the pecking order of things.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Spoiled rotten only, unless you count the dogs. Most people who meet me are surprised to learn I don't have any siblings, though. Not sure what to make of that. Guess the dogs got more attention than I did.... ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Have one older brother, but we were 'Irish twins' only 12 months apart in age (December is a cold month). When we read about birth order stuff my brother and I both agree the twin stuff seems most applicable. We almost never fought. See eye to eye on everything. Know exactly what the other is thinking. Wierd, huh?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm the youngest of 3 - sister is 33, brother is 30, me is 26.

My parents got away with not have the stereotypical "porblem teenagers", we were pretty easy.

[gloating] I am the most "successful" of the three, but there's really no direct competition because we have rather different life goals and experiences.[/gloating]

I was the youngest growing up, but now that I am married, I am my in-laws oldest child. :)

Last edited:

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
I'm the baby. The youngest of three AND the only girl...my brothers are 33 and 29 and I'm 23, so we have some years between us. The middle child syndrome definietly exists in our fam--I got an iPod for my bday this year and my older brother felt that if I got one then he should get one for his bday too. He's 29 and it worked. Unbelievable.

Michele Zone

BANNED
"Last born -- I just love the attention"....but I didn't REALLY have to tell you folks that, now did I? ;-)