• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Biscuit should be proud

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
By The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - The Steel City apparently rocks.

Pittsburgh tops the list of Esquire's "Cities That Rock" in its April issue. The list excludes New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago and Austin, Texas, which are widely cited for their music scenes.

"The overarching idea about this is we didn't want to pick the same old cities," said Chris Berend, associate editor of Esquire. "The idea was that there were other cities that represent the majority of America that really might be the next spring of something."

The magazine polled more than six dozen music writers, acquaintances and friends to compile the list. A little sympathy for the Steel City didn't hurt.

"I think there's this affection for Pittsburgh that people kind of want to feel. I feel like it's an underdog," Berend said.

The last big band to come out of Pittsburgh arguably was Rusted Root, whose single "Send Me on My Way" enjoyed heavy air play in 1995.

Other cities making the list were Denver; Minneapolis; Raleigh, N.C.; Gainesville, Fla.; Fresno, Calif.; New Orleans; Phoenix; and San Francisco.

/sarcasm on/ Wow, can't understand why Salt Lake City is not on that list. I mean, really, have you heard the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? Donnie and Marie? Legendary musicians I tell you. /sarcasm off/

While not from Salt Lake City, I am going to Great White at the Phat Tire Saloon, on Saturday night. Have seen them twice before. Great show since you are 15 feet from the stage and only 300 other people. Yeah, I am from the 80's. Still, love the music.

Any known musicians come from your town/city?

ludes98

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
While not from Salt Lake City, I am going to Great White at the Phat Tire Saloon, on Saturday night.
Watch for fires. Sorry couldn't resist.

Any known musicians come from your town/city?
Saying Phoenix has music scene is giving other cities in the metro area too much credit. The scene is Tempe because of ASU. The number of live music clubs outside of the Tempe area is pretty small, though my sister in law does manage the best blues club in the area and it's in Phoenix.

Tempe:
The Gin Blossoms (disbanded)
The Refreshments (disbanded)
Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (former Refreshments band members)
Stephen Ashbrook but he left Tempe for Portland. :-\

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Pittsburgh rock... well who knew?
:8:
Let’s see, now I’ve been here for just over a year and now Esquire considers the ‘Burgh to be the #1 city that rocks. Coincidence…I think not. ;-)

kms

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Pittsburgh rock... well who knew?
:8:
Let’s see, now I’ve been here for just over a year and now Esquire considers the ‘Burgh to be the #1 city that rocks. Coincidence…I think not. ;-)

I knew...before you got here, but go ahead and take credit.

I listened to an interview on KDKA, and Esquire didn't consider some of the "given" cities, like NYC and LA.

biscuit

Cyburbian
kms said:
I knew...before you got here, but go ahead and take credit.
Oh, don't be so modest. We both know that you had a lot to do with that as well.

ludes98:
Doesn't Jimmy Eat World also hail from Tempe?

ludes98

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
ludes98:Doesn't Jimmy Eat World also hail from Tempe?
Actually they are from the neighboring Mesa, AZ, but used to play mostly in Tempe. They still live in Mesa when they aren't on tour.

Stevie Nicks is from AZ too.

Lots of people call Phoenix their second home, or retire here. The place is starting to get alot of baseball players here off season. Dave Mustaine, Stevie Nicks, Alice Cooper, and other all live in the Paradise Valley (most expensive) area.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
Saying Phoenix has music scene is giving other cities in the metro area too much credit. The scene is Tempe because of ASU. The number of live music clubs outside of the Tempe area is pretty small, though my sister in law does manage the best blues club in the area and it's in Phoenix.

Tempe:
The Gin Blossoms (disbanded)
The Refreshments (disbanded)
Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (former Refreshments band members)
Stephen Ashbrook but he left Tempe for Portland. :-\
But, of course, the grand master plan for tempe involves closing such clubs. Lots of themhave been slated for redevelopment.

Tom R

Cyburbian
akron

I'm from the Pittsburgh area, but my adopted home of Akron (including the Kent Area) musically begat: The James Gang (Joe Walsh), DEVO, The Waitresses, The Rubber City Rebels, The Bizarros, and a band that hasn't made it nationally 16-60-75 aka The Numbers Band.