• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Bizarre US & Canadian Laws

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
"In US, the Code of Federal Regulations declares it illegal for US citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles."

Why post this one under Wisconsin! :(

It belongs in Nevada or Arizona!

donk

Cyburbian
Looking at the wisconsin one, the margarine not being buttered coloured is in effect here. The colour they use is either a bright yellow or a pale yellow, just can't be butter coloured.

Until the 1950's it was illegal to toboggan on sundays in Toronto. I did paper on this one in university.

i have heard that in some places rabbits can not be kept in cages.

H

Cyburbian
Ah… my home state of Georgia:

You have the right to commit simple battery if provoked by "fightin" words.

tsc

Cyburbian
It is illegal to come tither with women in the cemetery in Binghamton, NY

It is illegal to advertise on your tombstone in a town in Northern Westchester, NY

nerudite

Cyburbian
Don't do the dew...

In Canada it is illegal for clear or non-dark sodas to contain caffeine.

Point of hilarity: all those extreme Mountain Dew commercials.... since Mountain Dew has NO CAFFEINE up here. Too extreme!

otterpop

Cyburbian
Bizarre US & Candian LAws

When I worked for the Ketchikan Gateway Borough, in Alaska, I thought it was odd that the Borough Code of Ordinances specifically stated that prostitution was illegal at the airport, but did not specify whether it was illegal elsewhere. Of course, a former house of ill repute in town was a popular tourist attraction, on Creek Street - "where men and salmon come to spawn."

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Bizarre US & Candian LAws

otterpop said:
Creek Street - "where men and salmon come to spawn."

[OT]That's one of the coolest "streets" I've ever been to! Seals and salmon swimming right up it. :) [/OT]

H

Cyburbian
Tennessee Law:

"More than 8 women may not live in the same house because that would constitute a brothel."

This is why there are no sorority houses in the state. Instead (at UT) the young ladies were all packed into a dorm building each group getting a floor. They all had meetings Wednesday night at 6 o’clock. Which is why I road my bike down that road at exactly 5:45 ;)

Go Big Orange!

Last edited:

steveanne

I guess I have to stop fishing for whales in Ohio. Please don't tell anyone. I honestly didn't know it was illegal.

H

Cyburbian
OMG!!!!!! This is terrible:

WV:

“It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 pounds.”

A college roommate of mine was from WV; I am so sending this to him right now!

:-o

If I recall, off the top of my head: there is someplace where the law says you have to have someone walk in front of your car, ringing a bell, so you don't scare the horses. I think they never got around to repealing it. So there is some city or state in the U.S. where a few million folks are breaking the law every time they get in their car.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I like these that I found on
http://www.hungover.net/restroom_fs.asp?restroomid=190

It is illegal to bike, roller-skate, skateboard, or inline skate in a commercially zoned area. For these offesnses, there is a fine of no more than $5 or the impounding of one's bicycle for a period not to exceed 30 days.

Bicycles are not allowed in the tennis courts.

No bicyclist may practice "fancy riding" on any city street.

Security guards at Joe Louis Arena will confiscate any item they feel might be thrown onto the ice. Furthermore, any person seen throwing an octopus onto the ice at a Red Wings game will be taken to jail.

It is illegal to paint sparrows to sell them as parakeets.
sure sounds like a Monty Python skit...

Cats may not run loose without having been fit with a taillight.

Last edited: