• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Blair headed for the ICC?

jresta

Cyburbian
This article was in saturday's Guardian. The full text is available for free
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,939535,00.html

The UK is a signatory to the International Criminal Court. Despite all the back-pedaling and blurring of issues the reason for an invasion was supposed to be because Saddam had NBC weapons (ok, well strike the nuclear and biological part) and was ready to use them. I hope for Blair's sake they turn up. Otherwise it could be a lonely time in The Hague.

Prove Iraqi guilt, MPs tell Blair

Nicholas Watt, Michael White, James Meek in Baghdad and Oliver Burkeman in Washington
Saturday April 19, 2003
The Guardian

Tony Blair is facing the threat of a fresh rebellion from Labour backbenchers who are growing increasingly alarmed that the failure to uncover weapons of mass destruction in Iraq will confirm that the war was illegal.
As a 1,000-strong Anglo-American task force of inspectors prepares to search hundreds of suspicious sites, Labour MPs are demanding an inquiry to establish whether MI6 misled ministers about Iraq's weapons programme.

Backbench Labour MPs who feel they were duped into backing the war on the basis of questionable intelligence want the cross-party Commons intelligence and security committee to carry out an investigation. One well-placed former minister said: "The intelligence committee is raring to challenge the veracity of what the security services told them about Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons. They were told what he had and where it was. There may be a perfectly innocent explanation for all this, but they don't seem to be able to find the stuff."

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I thought that some nerve agents have already been found. Not the whole kit and kaboodle, but enough to prove that Saddam was lying. I heard this morning on NPR here that there was also some evidence that the Iraqi leaders destroyed as much of the contraband as possible before US troops entered Baghdad.

jresta

Cyburbian
I also read at least weekly that "this could be it" or "that could be it" because the pentagon puts out the press releases and the newspapers print them but they're usually retracted a few days later . . . either way, up to this point, they've all been false.

At this point it's pretty much viewed as a farce that saddam ever had anything nuclear. Personally, i don't believe that he had any chemical weapons that were still combat ready. I'm sure they'll dig up some old shells in the desert that have been buried for the last 10 years and play it off like they found something but beyond that i don't think they're going to find anything substantial or credible.

As far as press releases saying that the regime burned the weapons at the last minute - where? With the country under constant surveillance from spy planes, satellites, and scouts where could they have shipped this supposedly huge stockpile of weapons and incinerated it without it being noticed and without killing thousands of nearby civilians?

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Yeah, what I heard about the Iraqis destroying weapons before the US invaded might have been speculation, too. I just heard it in passing on public radio.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
jresta said:
Personally, i don't believe that he had any chemical weapons that were still combat ready.
They still have problems in France with munitions from WWI. Iraq is a drier climate. Artillery shells or other means of distribution will last a long time, with no protection, in an arid country. All they would have to do is bury it in the desert, hiding it with no markers. Geo-caching.