• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Blame Canada II

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Given the choice, I'd rather go to Tijuana for my prescription drug needs. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Well, given that drugs are typically developed in the US, manufactured on some Carribean island, and then shipped around the world, what difference does it make if they pass through Canada first? Just one. The US regulates the industry in a manner that lets it jack up its prices to the highest levels in the world, because we have a private system of health care that does not regulate price. The private sector's approach to higher drug costs is either to raise health insurance costs or to not cover some drugs. Claritin worked very well for my allergies, but at $80 for a one-month supply, my insurance decided that they would not cover it. As a result, I could get a less effective drug or one that put me to sleep. I don't see anything wrong with going to Canada. Why should we pay more or get less?

donk

Cyburbian
As for paying too much, I pay one whack of taxes, with health care being the primary focus of both the feds and the provinces yet have no access to a primary care physician.

I'll trade you my low drug prices for access to a family physician that I can trust.

As for the claritan, it is an over teh counter drug here (no prescription needed). Next time I am travelling to the states I'll get you address and smuggle some in for you.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
donk said:
As for the claritan, it is an over teh counter drug here (no prescription needed). Next time I am travelling to the states I'll get you address and smuggle some in for you.
OTC here now as well - still $1.50 per pill, and just under a buck for the generic version.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
In my current job (I'm starting a Masters in planning in September) I do research on the biotech and drug industries. There is NOTHING different about the American pharmaceuticals that come out of Canada or any European country for that matter. If this law does not pass, and I hope it does, it will just be one more example of how Bush and the Republican Congress cowtow to rich industries.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Given the choice, I'd rather go to Tijuana for my prescription drug needs. ;)
Nothing like walking down the street and having 5 Pharmacias lit up in neon lights on every block.