• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Bldg Inspector Interview

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I oversee building inspections-code enforcement as well as all the rest. We are looking for an inspections / CE division head. Anybody have some good interview questions?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Ask the candidate if he knows what a 2x4 is. If he answers "eight" then chances are that's probably not the person you want to hire as building inspector. :-D

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
I don't have access to our question sheets, but I know they always ask a question related to code interpretation. It is ussually a written one where the inspector is given a situation that may occur on site and asked to provide the sections of the code that have been broken and how the builder should rectify the situation.

ie, on a site inspection you notice that the floor joists have a span of 36 feet, a spacing of 36 inches and are constructed out of 2x6's. What sections of the code would you refer to to ensure that code compliance is being adhered to and what would you do to ensure that construction is brough up to code?

The answers don't have to be perfectly written, just refer to the correct sections of the code (provided for interview) and a list of the sections and actions required. Grammar and spelling are not marked.

Other questions typically asked relate to dealing with difficult people and differentiating between normal pissed off and jack a$$ pissed off people.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Show him this picture and then ask him to say the first thing that pops in to his or her mind. It is sort of a planning Rorschach test. The correct answer is Lemon Pledge (TM)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
What is their position on code enforecment - active or passive (complaint driven). Why? Which is better for the community?

OK, these will be hard for an inspector, but you'll get a sense of personality. There really is no wrong answer.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
donk said:
You can tell I've lived among the great unwashed for too long, my first thought was starter home.
Mine was I wonder how many channels he gets

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Chet said:
What is their position on code enforecment - active or passive (complaint driven). Why? Which is better for the community?

OK, these will be hard for an inspector, but you'll get a sense of personality. There really is no wrong answer.
A similar question might be based on their experience what kind of revisions would they like to see to the Code. (even though its out of their hands)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ask him about his neighbors as a more relaxed question... it will show you if he is a social person who has good communication and interaction skills out of office, and if they will be able to work well with the general public.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I wondered if he left the wheels on it.
Ya!
Even I thought that once the visitors decide to move the bustrailer would just roll away to the next destination.
:p

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
If they left the wheels on, then here is the scary part;
? what is stored / hidden under it ? :-# :-c

donk

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
I wondered if he left the wheels on it. You know, "just in case".

Here they put them on top to hold the tarps down that are used for roofing. (Sad but true)

The good news is that only 14 mobile homes burnt last year, down from 28 the year before. Unfortunately, during the last big snow storm a 6 year old boy died in a fire, as it spread through and consumed the trailer in less than 10 minutes.