Interwebs 💻 Blogging

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Anyone here ever start a blog? Follow a blog? Monetize a blog? I'm looking to make a few hundred extra a month and it seems like blogging might be a relatively painless way to go about it.

Let me ask y'all up front: based on what you've seen me dash off here on Cyburbia, do you think I write well enough to create content that at least some people would be interested in reading? I'm looking for community feedback and advice here, folks.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I followed a guy a long time ago, who talked about finances, but his profession was shared by my wife, so I thought it was an odd niche. He was an active member on another forum that I was active on, and he said he was going to start a blog to explain better his thoughts.

Long story short, he makes a ton of money on his blog now. He makes enough money that he doesn't have to work any longer.

I would say go for it. What do you have to lose?

kms

Cyburbian
Read up on it first to learn how to attract an audience.

I always enjoy reading your posts.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I agree. You write well and with humor and general good nature which lends itself to attracting an audience.

Reactions: kms

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Read up on it first to learn how to attract an audience.

I always enjoy reading your posts.
You're right. There's a smart way and a dumb way to approach any task. I have to believe that more knowledge on my part would ease success along.

Reactions: kms

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I kid, of course.

What about a podcast? All the cool kids do them these days.

What subject do you plan to cover?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Is there money in podcasts? (he asked with perfect naivete)

akepps

I write buffalostreets.com
It's very research heavy, and I don't get very much money out of it, considering the time and energy I put into it. But it's local, so it doesn't have a very wide national reach or anything. I am very proud of my 8,500 followers and very proud of the work I've done. I also do regular speaking engagements to a variety of community groups and occasional walking tours to try to build it up a little more. Been doing it ten years, I could probably put more time into it and have a better return, but it's really just a hobby for me and I think if I forced myself to do more, I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I do.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What subject do you plan to cover?
Several have occurred to me. I was toying with the idea of writing about community gardens, but that's probably too niche. I not only have to enjoy writing about something, but making some form of income is also critical to the enterprise. The advice to 'write about what you love and the money will naturally follow' might have been true at some time, but from what I've read, that's not something one can depend on now.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Several have occurred to me. I was toying with the idea of writing about community gardens, but that's probably too niche. I not only have to enjoy writing about something, but making some form of income is also critical to the enterprise. The advice to 'write about what you love and the money will naturally follow' might have been true at some time, but from what I've read, that's not something one can depend on now.
Vlog about community gardens while wearing daisy dukes and the money will come pouring in. Then sell the used daisy dukes online for additional.💰💰

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Vlog about community gardens while wearing daisy dukes and the money will come pouring in. Then sell the used daisy dukes online for additional.💰💰
A cross-dresser discusses how to establish community gardens. You might be on to something.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I like the Humans of New York concept.

I like the 'talking head' concept.

Maybe try being a contributor to an established website that you like or likes you.

I think a Year in my Garden framing format would be good, then while people are tracking the development/progress of your garden(ing), you can slip in meditations on life, the universe and everything (to borrow a phrase).

And I'll happily share is around the internets to the extent of my current or future reach.

Monetize a blog?
I've helped a great many bloggers monetize their blogs over the past two decades.

Let me ask y'all up front: based on what you've seen me dash off here on Cyburbia, do you think I write well enough to create content that at least some people would be interested in reading?
Absolutely. You'd enjoy the most success if your blog is written with your brand of "Midwest" humor: wry, dryly facetious, tongue-in-cheek, and occasionally self-deprecating.
Sometimes when I read your posts I feel like I'm listening to Bob Newhart.