• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Blue Sky

BKM

Cyburbian
Good Lord! After four days of absolutely eerie pearl-gray fog, I can finally see BLUE SKY today. Hallelujah!

(Of course, even with the fog, the high's have been in the 50s...There is some beenefit to dealing with California traffic and housing costs :p )

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
partly sunny here in Northwest Metro Chicago

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Thin layer of clouds almost fog like, out there, with some breaks allowing the blue sky to show through.

The clouds are so thin though that sun is getting through and reflecting off the snow making it almost blinding.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Now that the snow has finally stopped coming down, it's a beautiful sunny day, and only -20 odd celcius!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Its sunny here and a balmy 84 degrees, I mean 3. I still don't know why they cancelled school, although that means no little sob's on the buses later tonight.

BKM

Cyburbian
Irish One: PHHHTPPPHHH!

Just wait until you need some of our Northern California water!!!!
:)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Big puffy clouds and blue sky here, with a really weird red sunrise. What is that old saying? "Red sky at morning, sailors take warning, red sky at night, sailor's delight"? good thing we're land-locked here.

Irish One: doesn't that get boring, having no weather?

The Irish One

Plannerbabs I wish we had much more rain, say like 12 inches a year. Do I get bored? not at all, there is never an excuse not to be active, at least physically. BKM, we will always need NoCal water, there is no waiting.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
It is 25 f here and getting colder. Yesterday, I had to go out in the field and thought my feet were going to fall off even though I had wool socks on. Still not used to having cold weather after living in either a country with tropical rainforests or in Florida my entire life.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We have blue skies with puffy clouds and it's an abnormally balmy +7C (45F) today. Practically t-shirt weather up here!!!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
nerudite said:
We have blue skies with puffy clouds and it's an abnormally balmy +7C (45F) today. Practically t-shirt weather up here!!!
That's 'cause you sent your winter our way. Gives new meaning to the expression "Let the Eastern bastards freeze!"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Not to bad along the Ohio River,
34 F,slight breeze, and sunny.

STTG - boy do I remember those days,
very noticable from the top of the tram at Snowbird.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
Not to bad along the Ohio River,
34 F,slight breeze, and sunny.
Same just about 100 miles east, BUT, Saturday's forecast is for icy/wintry mix and you know how well Hoosiers do when it is like that. Kroger's probably already out of bread and milk :-D

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
That's 'cause you sent your winter our way. Gives new meaning to the expression "Let the Eastern bastards freeze!"
I know! And you don't even get the 'dry cold'. I hear Ontario winters are worse than anything out here. And now you have it doubly bad. <<snickers to herself>>

(Don't worry... I'm sure we'll get back into our usual cold snap soon!)

donk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
We've had a week solid of -30 and colder. Last night it was -55 with the wind chill. They've kept the kids home from school the past 2 days because of the cold.

My reward has been frozen pipes. Last night I could have made slushies with the water that came out of the tap. Stayed up until 1:00 AM to make sure that they defrosted properly and worked, went to bed. Got up, no problem. Got home at lunch frozen again. I spent my lunch break defrosting / thawing pipes in the kitchen. Love the sensation of coming home turning on the tap and no water coming out. At least they have not burst like last year.

Third time in two days they froze. Hopefully won't happen again. (Heat tape, insulation on pipes, brooder lamps in the basement for heat should prevent it from happening again).

Floridays

Cyburbian
It's gorgeous here....74 degrees, no humidity, sunny with a nice breeze. I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt. But trust me, this must justify why I live here during the summers from h****. It's SO nice not to sweat for a change....

JNL

Cyburbian
Beautiful here too - it's 61F (16C) at 9:00am, there is no wind and the harbour looks like a mirror. Blue skies as far as the eye can see :) I love summer!

Last edited:

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Same just about 100 miles east, BUT, Saturday's forecast is for icy/wintry mix and you know how well Hoosiers do when it is like that. Kroger's probably already out of bread and milk :-D
Yup, full-speed ahead if you're in an SUV, slow to a crawl otherwise, earn the ire of other motorists either way. You'd think we'd learn, seeing as how this happens Every Single Year!
(Jan 2000) Ooh, look, snow!
(Jan 2001) Ooh, look, snow!
(Jan 2002) Ooh, look, snow!
(Jan 2003) Ooh, look, a lot of snow!
(Jan 2004) Ooh, look, snow!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Abnormal high temperatures (30ºC is a lot here...) and with High humidity... it's yucky heat... :(
We've had a lot of sunny days (easily the entire week), but none the less we've had quite a lot of wind (for being summer), though that helps to cool down a bit.
Right now there's 24ºC @ my desk... :)

martini

Cyburbian
It was sunny and roughly 35° here today. Perfect weather for riding the fixxy to school in. Life is good. Today at least. This is MN in the winter afterall.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It's pretty cold here. There was one lonely degree hanging out in the bank's thermometer when I went to work this morning, and I would guess he didn't have much company all day. Question: If it is winter in the northern hemisphere when it is summer in the southern hemisphere, is it also spring in the eastern hemisphere when it is fall in the western hemisphere?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Question: If it is winter in the northern hemisphere when it is summer in the southern hemisphere, is it also spring in the eastern hemisphere when it is fall in the western hemisphere?
You're joking... right? B-)
The seasons are not dependant of longitude, but latitude. :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
if that's even possible?

EDIT: My bad humor sorry Chet

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
You're joking... right? B-)
The seasons are not dependant of longitude, but latitude. :)
Yeah... but think of the fun you could have with the geographically illiterate. ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sorry my bad humor.

Be glad you are not at the top of Mt. Washington, NH
Summit Conditions as of 10:49 PM EST
Temp -41.1°F
Wind W78 MPH
Gust 88 MPH
WC -90°F

Seabishop

Cyburbian
-3F this morning and windy. I have to leave early to take my daughter with a 104 temp to the doctor. Its too cold to have her walk the long distance from the huge parking lot/construction site to the office. :(

The grand historic windows in my office look nice but the wind just blows right in. I never thought I'd be longing for 20F. What am I Canadian now?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Ten years ago tomorrow we set our all-time low for Louisville, Ky with a -22F, the evening after our single-largest recorded snowfall of 15.9" (snicker, but we have many winters where we don't get 16" in total). It was thunder-snow too, really, really cool stuff. Louisville was a wreck with shut-down interstates and emergency calls for SUV drivers to bring medical personnel to hospitals, et cetera.

Made national news until the Loma Prieta earthquake (I think, might have been Northwood -- I'm getting too old to remember all the details) shook California.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
JNA said:

Be glad you are not at the top of Mt. Washington, NH
Summit Conditions as of 10:49 PM EST
Temp -41.1°F
Wind W78 MPH
Gust 88 MPH
WC -90°F
Our local news anchor was joking about going for a hike up there. Um, I don't think so.

Can we send this cold air BACK to Canada?

donk

Cyburbian
I should start the never ending frozen pipes thread.

This time the service from the main line froze. Have every pipe I can locate wrapped with heat tape and heaters in the crawl space. Hope that enough heat can penetrate the bad pipe to open it up enough to let some water flow.

This totally sucks. Finally decided to lay the floor in the house (a bit of debt) and now this happens. if I have to pay to have it thawed it is going to be expensive as they have to "zap" the line.

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
Mount Washington reached -88 degrees last night and sadly enough they were a few degrees away from breaking the record. The odd part is the people at the observatory were upset they didn't break it. Must be the thin air causing the delerium of wanting colder weather then that.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
donk said:
I should start the never ending frozen pipes thread.
I'd be right there with you donk. Had a frozen pipe at the house last week.....took 3 days to actually find it and get it fixed. My house temp has varied from 38 degrees last Thursday....back up to 70 upstairs after the pipe was fixed....but with the draftiness of my old house, the temp dipped to about 49 downstairs last night (64 upstairs).

jmf

Cyburbian
According to Environment Canada we will hit a balmy -8C tonight - I may have to go for a walk! We have been doing some work in our front porch and my husband turned the cast iron rad off the other day and forgot to turn it back on - the top of the radiator shattered so now we are int he market for a new old cast iron radiator to fit this spot aarrgghhhh.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Planner Groupie said:
Mount Washington reached -88 degrees last night and sadly enough they were a few degrees away from breaking the record. The odd part is the people at the observatory were upset they didn't break it. Must be the thin air causing the delerium of wanting colder weather then that.
i think that there comes a point where you don't care about the cold anymore. kinda like the snow last year...thought we were going to break the seasonal snowfall record and we just wanted to do it. a culture of recrod breakers.

donk

Cyburbian
From -40 to 20-40 cm over the next 24 hours. The joy of winter in the north.

At least my pipes won't freeze again (taped, insulated, snow around the foundation, heaters....)

Walked to work because the roads were not plowed, now get to go home early (9:00am) because of the weather.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
SkeLeton said:
Abnormal high temperatures (30ºC is a lot here...) and with High humidity... it's yucky heat... :(
Tured of the heat? Come to CLEVELAND! Here's what it looks like outside my bedroom window now. It's snowing (although the photo doesn't pick that up well), and about -10 C. At least I have my REAL winters back!

Attachments

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Another cold end of the week, more frozen pipes.

Got home from work on Friday, to a house that was 30 degrees inside.....landlord spent the weekend replacing 7 breaks downstairs, and 8 upstairs.....furnace tech replaced the transformer yesterday while I was out snowtubing with Kylie and Planner Groupie....hopefully I've seen the end of the furnace problems for a while......price I pay for living in an old house, I guess.