• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Bluff Impact Ordinance

Glomer

Does anyone have a copy of a good Bluff Impact Ordianance I could look at?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Are you looking for ones dealing with slopes/erosion, development visibility/screening, or what?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Try contacting my hometown's planning department (www.onconcord.com).

They have something in the new zoning ordinance related to the bluffs over the Merrimack River. I've got a copy of the ordinance, but its a hard copy. I believe its available electronically on their website.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
With well-written codes and good enforcement procedures, you should be able to keep bluffing to a minimum.

Seriously, APA did a Planning Advisory Service Report on "Planning for Hillside Development" in 1996 (PAS Report No. 466).

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It has been an issue in Wisconsin. You may want to check the Wisconsin DNR website for information on the Wisconsin River, and Dane County.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
That PAS report is worth looking at. The US Geological Survey is a good source and, depending on which state you're in, your state geological survey may be able to offer some assistance. If your state is fairly flat, you may find helpful publications from the geological surveys of other states. It is important to ground what you're doing in the facts about your particular landscape. Exactly what you do will depend on the issues -- are you addressing erosion and slope failure or aesthetics or both -- and on the particularities of the situation.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Bluffs and other geo-hazards are critical areas under Washington State's Growth Management Act, so there are a lot of regulations on the local level there. A search or www.mrsc.org found the following reference materials (most of the ordinances at the bottom can be found on the cities' websites:

ARTICLES, DOCUMENTS, MISC.
"Brushing off erosion," by Robbin B. Sotir. CE News, May 1998, pp. 58-63. NON-POINT SOURCE POLLUTION - SOIL BIOENGINEERING - STREAMBANK - WATERSHED RESTORATION (PL 5.5500)

"Brushing up on erosion control," by Robbin Sotir. American City & County, February 1998, pp. 18-28. SOIL BIOENGINEERING - FLOOD CONTROL - BANKS STABILIZATION (PL 5.5500)

"Erosion and sediment control," by Sidney O. Dewberry. Civil Engineering News, December 1997, pp. 42-48. (PL 5.5500)

"It won't wash," by J. William Thompson. Landscape Architecture, June 1998, pp. 40-45. From small-scale willow stakings to massive compost applications, landscape architects in California are protecting slopes from storm water through biotechnical means. STEEP SLOPES, EROSION CONTROL (PL 5.5500)

"Keeping urban land on solid ground," by Ben Northcutt. American City & County, February 1997. SITE EROSION CONTROL- (PL 5.5500)

"Land use planning for seismic safety: the Los Angeles County experienmce, 1971-1994," by Robert B. Olshansky. APA Journal, Spring 2001, pp.173-185 (PL 5.5500)

"Rapid slope monitoring," Civil Engineering, June 1996. SITE HILLSIDES - LANDSLIDE HAZARDS (PL 5.5500)

"Regulating hillside and ridgeline development," by H. Lawrence Hoyt. Paper from IMLA's 63rd Annual Conference. November 1998, 15 p. STEEP HILLSIDES - EROSION CONTROL - LANDSLIDE HAZARDS (PL 5.5500)

ORDINANCES
Bellevue, WA Ordinance No. 5055 regarding the Land Use Code, relating to the slope performance standard for single family development. Passed 3-98. STEEP SLOPES, EROSION CONTROL - SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENCES AND GARAGES (PL 5.5500)

Burien, WA Ordinance No. 127 Amends Zoning Code relating to the development of single family residences and garages in environmentally sensitive areas including steep slope hazard areas. Passed 5-95. STEEP SLOPE AREAS - SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENCES AND GARAGES (PL 5.5500)

Edmonds, WA Ordinance No. 3329 amends the Development Standards Geologically Hazardous Areas section of the Edmonds Community Development code. Passed 10-00. (PL 5.5500)

Mason County Code, Chapter 17.01.100 - LANDSLIDE HAZARD AREAS Passed 12-99 (PL 5.5500)

Mason County, WA Ordinance No. 136-01 relating to geologically hazardous areas. Passed 12-01. (PL 5.5500)

Mukilteo, WA Ordinance No. 987 adopting critical slope area regulations as they pertain to steep slopes. 23 p. Passed March 2000. STEEP SLOPE AREAS (PL 5.5500)

Normandy Park, WA Ordinance No. 653 relates to development in geologically hazardous areas resulting in the loss of slope and soil stability and amends Environmentally Sensitive Areas Chapter. Passed 10-98 (PL 5.5500)

Seattle, WA Ordinance No. 29253. Passed 12-95. ENVIRONMENT - CRITICAL AREAS - STEEP SLOPE REGULATIONS - CLARIFICATION (PL 5.5500)

Seattle Ordinance No. 118539 adds new sections of the municipal code relating to procedural changes to the city's regulation for environmentally critical areas, passed 4-97. ENVIRONMENT - CRITICAL AREAS - STEEP SLOPE REGULATIONS (PL 5.5500)

Spokane Ordinance No. C-32697 regulates development and other activities in geologically hazardous areas, passed 5-01. (PL 5.5500)

Spokane Ordinance No. C-32697 regulates development and other activities in geologically hazardous areas, passed 5-01. (PL 5.5500)

Kiltie

The Town of Oro Valley in the Tucson area of Arizona has very good grading and hillside development ordinances. They may be a good reference point for you. Last time I checked the website address was www.ci.orovalley.az.us.

All else fails give the Planning Department there a call and ask for Bryant Nodine. He's the head of planning there, and a good guy. I used to work for him several years ago.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Warning . . . . . . . (Stupid comment ahead)

Warning . . . . . . . (Stupid comment ahead)

Generally, when dealing with ordinances that will impact something, I try not to bluff.

Well, I did warn you.

SideshowBob

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Are you looking for ones dealing with slopes/erosion, development visibility/screening, or what?
I would be curious to find one based primarilly on visibility/screening...

biscuit

Cyburbian
We have a "Hillside" zoning district that deals very comprehensively with development standards for steeply sloped and landslide prone area. I hear that neither developers or hard-core environmentalists like it, so it must be good. :r:

Actually, PM me for more details or a copy of the regs.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SideshowBob said:
I would be curious to find one based primarilly on visibility/screening...
Definitely check out the Lower Wisconsin River. I think it is through the commission...

(trying to rememer back to 1996).