• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Zoning: general Boarding House of old vs Shared Housing for the new generation

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trying to write this in for my fair small city but it's the same land use as a boarding house which doesn't have a good rep - anyone else writing something like this?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
There is a discussion or two about this on the forum. Not sure if it got into the specifics of code drafts. Let me see if I can find it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
From the FBC I wrote.

Collective living: occupancy of a dwelling unit by ≥ 3 unrelated people, where the living arrangement is not transient, temporary, or seasonal; and not restricted to members of a club or organization.

Allowed zones: T-4, T-4U

Conditions: May only be in a multi-unit / collective house building type. (Sometimes called "mansion apartments" in other FBCs.)

The "living arrangement is not transient, temporary, or seasonal" and "not restricted to members of a club or organization" provisions are intended to prevent use as a group home, halfway house, SRO, dormitory or fraternity/sorority house as a loophole. Out attorney didn't have any concerns about it during review of earlier drafts.

And the building type:

A multi-unit / collective house is a principal building in the form of a detached house with its main entrance visible from the street, with either 3 or 4 principal dwelling units, or 1 principal dwelling unit set up for cooperative living, with ≤ 10 bedrooms.