• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Books, anyone?

Books you're reading?

• Mysteries, including your zoning cases

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Westerns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-fiction

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Fantasy (well, whatever...)

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Maps

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Only the local newspaper

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Romance, see below

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
In between stints as an urban planner, I owned and managed a small bookstore, so I am wondering what planners read?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have been indoctrinated into a group at work that has read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (time-travel hunky Scottish guy stuff). It is actually quite good historically.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Just finished "Prozac Nation" by Elizabeth Wurtzel. Great stuff!. Also read "The Ride Together" by Paul Karasik & Judy Karasik.

donk

Cyburbian
I love to read and get a bit fanatic about authors I like. My bookshelf includes:

Robert Heinlein (Favourite book - Door into Summer)
Philipp Jose Farmer (Fav - Barnstormer in OZ)
Mordecai Richler (Duddy Kravitz)
Daniel Pinkwater (Alan Mendelsohn Boy from Mars)
Douglas Coupland (Shampoo Planet)
Kurt Vonnegut (Jailbird)
Hunter S Thompson ( Letters from the road)
Tom Wolfe ( A man In full)
Peter Bagge ( Hate)
Bob Fingerman (Minimum Wage)
The Big Books of ...

Forgot 2 others

Spider Robinson (Telempath)
Tom Robbins (Another Roadside Attraction)

Just started readin Phillip K. Dick, no clear favourite yet.

Plus I read comics

Cerebus is the only one I am attached to now, Fables seems like it has promise....

Last edited:

Runner

Cyburbian
I pretty much stick to professional related books, such as those offered in the upper right corner of this page :) Other than that I enjoy hiking and travel related books particularly those related to the northwest.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I think we've discused reading preferences around here before, but it's been a while, and seeing as I love books I think we can open this up again :)

I tend to read either non-fiction, or science fiction and war novels. I also like cookbooks, although lately I've been getting more and more of my recipes on-line.

Donk - I'm a huge Dick fan...errr...ahh...a huge fan of Phillip k. Dick. My favs are "The Man in the High Castle", "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said", and "Wait Until Yesterday". His short stories are great too.

My most recent read was "Ghost Rider: Journeys on the Healing Road", by Neil Peart (drummer for Rush). It describes the mental and physical journey he undertook after the deaths of his daughter and wife. Very interesting, though it wrapped up a bit too quick for me.

Before that, it was "Colditz - the whole story", and "Stalingrad - the Fateful Siege", both WWII histories.

The only book I've had to put down lately has been Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". Too deep to read on the subway - I think I need a large scotch and some time on the couch to tackle that one.

My wife and I are fighting over "Salt", by Mark Kurlansky - great so far, but my wife has taken it over and won't let me near it.

Actually...I think I need to hit the bookstore or library today at lunch, I'm out of reading materials.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I easily have over 400 economic development or planning or architecture books, another 50 landscaping books, 50 travel books, almost everything ever written by Mark Twain or John McPhee, and a couple hundred miscellaneous ones. I'm going to make some built-in bookshelves for my next house.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am readling "Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk." I got it from Half Price Books for 5 bucks. I am addicted to books about music history. I am also slowly reading Bill Bryson's "I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20 Years Away "

The last book I read before this one was "Joe DiMaggio:The Hero's Life" by Richard Ben Cramer.

My undergrad degree is in English Lit so I like to revisit the classics every so often. I have recently dipped into the non-fiction arena by reading "Bad Bet on the Bayou," which is about the former La governor Edwin Edwards and his political hijacks performed while introducing the gaming industry to La, particularly the New Orleans area.

donk

Cyburbian
Thinking of english lit, the only book I enjoyed that I had to read in high school was "to kill a mockingbird". After HS I even went and bought my own copy to be able to reread it when I wanted to.

I tend to reread books over and over again, as I have a really poor memery of what happened in them. I only remember if I enjoyed them or not.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm starting to think the best books this week will be "Fail Safe", "On the Beach" and "Alas Babylon". Donk, you're not far off with "Door into Summer", great book, reminds me I should re-read it soon.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I just started John Feinstein's The Punch and have the latest Tom Clancy on my nightstand.

And my wife just gave me as required reading something about "Understanding Your Spirited Child"

That's what they are calling them these days...spirited.

Tom R

Cyburbian
books

Zoning Goddess said:
I'm starting to think the best books this week will be "Fail Safe", "On the Beach" and "Alas Babylon". Donk, you're not far off with "Door into Summer", great book, reminds me I should re-read it soon.
Great, if scary, books. Should be required reading. Add Catch 22, Dr. Strangelove and All Quiet on the Western Front. Oh yeah, A Bright Shining Lie.

I've been trying to catch up on some of the clasics. I've just finished The Hunchback of Notre Dame and I am somewhat struggling with Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Apocolapse Now was based on it.

mcmplans

Cyburbian
I am currently reading "You Shall Know Our Velocity" by Dave Eggers and just finished "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt. Next up, "Fay" by Larry Brown.

donk

Cyburbian
i enjoyed on the beach, but did not go crazy on buying everyone of shute's books like I have with the other authors mentioned.

In door into summer,I can just see Pete the Cat prowling around the house asking for each door to be opened then refusing to go out. i can also see Pete prowling and "singing" at the house after the confrontation. When mentioning it did not even think about the weather we have all been having.

Jeff

Cyburbian
For Me:

"First Marathons: Personal Encounters With the 26.2 Mile Monster"

A little inspirational reading for my upcoming marathon attempt.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I just picked up my first Edward Abbey book (one of the authors recommended in "Ghost Rider"), "Beyond the Wall". So far so good...

jmf

Cyburbian
I just finished a Reginald Hill mystery. Last night I started the new Nick Bantock book, beautiful drawings and a series of letters among four people. Before that I read Margaret Atwood's Blind Assasin.

I read A LOT. My husband doen't quite get it.

During grad school I worked part-time at a used book store it was great although I often spent as much as I made.

Recently I reread Trumpet of the Swan and Carol Shields Dressing Up for the Carnival. I tend to read a lot of Canadian fiction. Yan Martel's "Life of Pi is on my to read list.

donk

Cyburbian
Maybe we should start a cyburbia book of the month clube? Someone suggests a book or two, as a group/poll decide which one to read then discuss.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
My favorite books are:
(clasified by author)
Isaac Asimov:
-The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation)
-The Foundation's Edge (4th of the saga) *
-The Bicentenial Man
- I'm now reading The End of Eternity

Ray Bradbury:
-Martian Chronicles **
-Fahrenheit 451
- Other short stories...

William Gibson:
-Neuromancer
-Virtual Light
-Idoru
-All Tomorrow's Parties

That's in the sci-fi and mostly english reading section... :D
* Books that I read that weren't in English
** I read it in Spanish and then I've read my favourite stories of the Martian Chronicles in English.

Non Sci-Fi:
Crime and Punishment - Fedor Dostoyevski
Cien años de Soledad - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

that's all of the books that come to my mind in this moment...

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
I have tried reading Gibson and find it really tough sledding. i get confused about who is who and what is real and imagined in his books. I have read neuromancer and a book of short stories.

I forgot Bradbury. recently finished a book about a house that was pretty interesting.

Have one called "one for the road" waiting after I am done the PK Dick book I am reading now.

Another interesting author is Matheson, his book of short stories "I am Legend" is pretty good. The title story is a great horror story.

Zoning Goddess said:
I have been indoctrinated into a group at work that has read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (time-travel hunky Scottish guy stuff). It is actually quite good historically.
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Outlander Series!

James Patterson's First to Die - finished this weekend
The Lovely Bones - Two weeks ago's read.

Am anxiously awaiting Harry Potter V in June, and also read lots of Nora Roberts. I'm pretty all over the place, reading wise.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Books

I do adore Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. In fact, everyone that I have talked to about the series love it as well!!! I love books on Scottish time travel. Actually, books with Scottish hunks are, in general, great to read.

Right now, since I am not working, I have way too much time on my hands and I am reading everything by Karen Marie Moning. The Dark Highlander is great. Had to buy 3 more of her books. I need to get some more books since I am reading at least one a day now.

Favorite book of all time is "To Kill A Mockingbird", which I had to read in high school much like Donk had to.

I like mysteries and the Harry Potter series too. So much to read and so little time. My cousin just bought me the first book in the Wheel of Time series (Sci-Fi/Fantasy) by Robert Jordan. There are ten books in that series, so it will take me a little while to get through them since they are well over 1000 pages for each book.

On the non-fiction front, it is just more reality than I need, so the good fluff stuff keeps my mind from going insane. Who needs more reality when you can have sex and time travel adventures?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
donk said:
Maybe we should start a cyburbia book of the month clube? Someone suggests a book or two, as a group/poll decide which one to read then discuss.
Farnham's Freehold? Whatcha think Donk? A good post-apocalypse novel?

For the ladies, KMateja and Trail Nazi have the best! Outlander and Karen Moning...

donk

Cyburbian
It would probably be my sixth or seventh favourite Heinlein book (Tunnel in the Sky, Glory Road, Job, Sixth Column Friday rank higher). I like the importance RAH places on books at the end. Will trade for books, knowledge or a game of bridge was the general gist of the sign.

As for the decline of the American empire, check out the timelines of future history. RAH predicted that the Russians would not be a threat, but that a middle eastern country would be, he also predicted that the son of a former leader, with a religious right leaning would seize power by suspending basic fundamentals of the Constitution. This suspension occurred on Black Tuesday in October (Sept 11 was a Tuesday).

And on a less serious note, he described the water bed (Stranger in a Strange Land) and AutoCAD (Door into Summer) before they were designed.

donk

Cyburbian
Sorry to drag this thread back up, but I just read a great book I think everyone should hear about it, especially if you like comics, or want a mature introduction to sequential story telling ( the fancy name for comics). It will also probably appeal to planner types as it is a fictional history of a New York Neighbourhood.

The book is "The Neighborhood: Dropsie Avenue" by Will Eisner. It covers the social and architectural history of a neighbourhood and shows us that some of the idiosyncracies of people and buildings. The book fits in a "series" Eisner did that also includes books on buildings, neighbourhoods and people who live in the city.

Here is an image of the cover to make it easier if you want to check it out.