• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Boston city hall

green22

INACTIVE
Boston city hall was built to human scale just like those delightful plazas in East Germany.It reminds me of the Institute of Fashion and Technology Institute on W 27 st and Eighth avenue[Manhattan]No matter which direction you look at it from it just looked worse.

GeekyBoy

Cyburbian
It's a disaster - througly unpleasant to use for pedestrians, with steps that seemingly leads to nowhere - and the building proper is rather oppressive, even with the open space around it.

Another piece of egomanic architecture that doesn't work.

GB

statler

Cyburbian
Gov't center is easily my least favorite place in the city. I've redesigned the area so many times in my head. The contrast between City Hall and Faneuil Hall is jarring at best. To be fair, I'm not sure I've ever seen a building made of concrete the I like. I've read quite a bit about have the urban renewal of the west end 'saved' Boston but unfortunatly it happened at a time when modern architecture was (I think) at it's worst.

El Feo

Cyburbian
I thoght they bought it surplus - and on the cheap - from the Soviet Army when the Berlin Wall collapsed, floated it over on a barge, airlifted it over Government Center and dropped it on everything that had been there before, flattening old Scollay Square and crushing hundreds of hapless tourists on the way to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Now I find out they actually MEANT for it to look like that?

Wait - who am I kidding? I work in the ugliest building in Boston, and it ain't Boston City Hall...

BKM

Cyburbian
Concrete is fine-for freeway on-ramps and highways. Not sure its ever worked in the hands of a doctrinaire modernist architect :).

El Feo

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

Picture please???????????? :)
Planderella, would you believe it's so ugly that I can't find a picture (I'm sure as heck not gonna waste film/media space on one)? It's a structure on the edge of the West End - I'm almost positive statler would agree with my assessment. However, let me describe it for you:

A ten story open parking structure, straddling a major road. In fact, the structure was condemned on completion as being unsafe. After some alterations to the structure, two floors of office space were added to the top, to help regain some of the costs associated with the structural improvements. The elevator has only three stops - Lobby, 10 and 11.

It's about two blocks from Boston City Hall - and City Hall benefits from comparison.

I'll take your word for it. It's been about 4 years since I've visited Boston and have vague memories of the area around city hall. I do remember taking that picture though. That year, I was obsessed with finding the fire house where "The Real World" was filmed. :)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Planderella said:
That year, I was obsessed with finding the fire house where "The Real World" was filmed. :)
And then they came to New Orleans...

You know how angry I got with those kids? They had absolutely no clue what an honor it was to ride with a krewe on a float, and how incredibly lucky one is when they have a house right on a parade route.

I'd have beaten them with a long strand.

I was shocked that MTV didn't disgrace Mardi Gras by emphasizing the "show me your ****" debauchery that goes on in the French Quarter. I was a couple of blocks away from the house and saw some of the filming. The camera men were dressed up as women in bathing suits and cheerleader outfits. Yes, it was a frightening sight. LOL

lowlyplanner

Cyburbian
I used to work in the Old City Hall - see attached picture below. The City government was so enamored of the new one that they almost tore down the old (which dates from the 1860s).

I think it was intentionally designed to remind citizens of how small and insignificant they are to the running of the government. We always thought it looked like a giant concrete mushroom.

statler

Cyburbian
El Feo

I think I know what building you are speaking of. Is it right by the Fleet Center? If it's the one I'm thinking of you can see it from the x-way. There are just FAR too many concrete buildings in that area. I say level the whole area again and start over!

El Feo

Cyburbian
Statler - close to Fleet Center/North Station. It straddles Congress Street - I love the location, though, 'cause I can grab lunch in the North End. Are you close? We should grab a beer sometime...

statler

Cyburbian
Well, it's Boston so nobody's too far from anwhere....
I'm right in P.O. Sq. I can do the N.End if I eat quick....