• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Boston's Emerald Necklace

statler

Cyburbian
On one of the other city discussion boards I frequent there is an ongoing discussion regarding the Back Bay Fens. The gist of the debate is if an historical and celebrated park can actually be a detriment to a city. I would love to hear what the 'pros' think regarding this admittedly amature debate about zoning, planning and urban design. The thread can be found here . The first post is crammed w/ large images but just scroll past that to get to the good stuff.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Well, I'm not as familiar with the area as these people. But I see the emerald necklace as more of an assett than an impediment to growth. I hardly think that poor Boston isn't allowed to exapand because of it.

Hooray for the Yuppies!!

My favorite post:

BostonObserver
Unregistered User
(9/23/03 2:25 pm)
Reply yuppies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this forum and in the Boston Globe there is a tendecy to blame "yuppies" for everything. First of all i find the term condecscending.

I lived in Boston in the 70's and 80's and i can assure you the "yuppies" have made Boston a better place.

In those days when I or any of my neightbors needed to deal with the police (muggings breakins car theft) the repsonse was always the same, 'move out of the city'.