• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Brew & a Buzz

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Found in the St. Louis Post Dispatch, from the Columbian Missourian:

Men get ‘buzzed’ in more ways than one
The Buzz Barbershop offers customers haircuts and 15 different types of beer.
http://www.jour.missouri.edu/newsen...4ff5ca?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,liquor,barber

"When he went to get the liquor and barbershop licenses, Reynolds said he was told he was the only person in Missouri to have the two licenses combined."

“Not too many guys object to drinking beer, and everyone needs a haircut,”

The Buzz sells many brands of beer, ... although the most popular is Stag.

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
Alcohol and sharp pointy objects. I hope none of the barbers are drinking on the job. He just needs to get a fireworks license for the real fun to begin. :)

I read an article once about a woman-owned barbershop where the selling point was that all the barbers were female and they cut your hair wearing lingerie.

Hey, isn't this kind of a Spin Off of the "weird businesses" thread? :-D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Michele Zone said:
Hey, isn't this kind of a Spin Off of the "weird businesses" thread? :-D
No and Don't Know ?
Dan said:
...in your area. By "weird" I mean:...Generally weird vibe.
No, Missouri is not in my area.
Is that Weird enough ?
So I will let the MOD decide.

JNA said:
No and Don't Know ?

No, Missouri is not in my area.
Is that Weird enough ?
So I will let the MOD decide.
Hey, it wasn't meant as criticism. Just kind of noting the similarities. And "spin-off" does not mean it is "illegitimate" or a repeat and should be quashed. Okay? :)

Hey -- have a beer :b: and chill out. Me thinks thou art overreacting a tad. (and I confess that I am completely biased, since I am the person you are reacting to. :-D )

As an aside: My sister keeps saying that the entire world has gone Nuts here lately, as if The Gates of Hell hath opened and all the demons and insanity are/is pouring forth. There may be something to her point because it seems to me that this kind of misunderstanding is unusually common and unusually problematic here lately, in all kinds of forums that I am in. I sometimes wonder why that is. I wonder if The Patriot Act is making folks paranoid. Or if we are all feeling insecure due to the war. Or exactly WHAT.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Back home there was a guy who ran a shop on Campus Corner; he offered beer and/or wine while he was cutting your hair. Unfortunately, he also slammed down some drinks and when he was through, I had a sort of "pinkish" tint to my hair. |-)

When I finally found someone that I liked to cut my hair, I'd make my appointments on late Friday afternoon. She'd bring the vodka and I'd bring the cranberry juice...it was a fun way to start the weekend and she and I became close pals!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've long thought that a business that specializes in serving alcohol and renting power tools might be profitable..... :-b

Budgie

Cyburbian
Lots of college towns have coin operated laudremats with beer and liquor sales. I've been into a "Suds Your Duds" in Denton, Texas home of the University of North Texas.

Drive-thru liquor stores send mixed messages to the drunk driver on the go.

I'm still looking for a topless car wash business. Imagine how popular that would be.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Budgie said:
Drive-thru liquor stores send mixed messages to the drunk driver on the go.
In New Hampshire, they put the "State Store" -- where you buy your hard liquor -- in the middle of the Interstate. What kind of message is that? 8-!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Gedunker said:
In New Hampshire, they put the "State Store" -- where you buy your hard liquor -- in the middle of the Interstate. What kind of message is that? 8-!
Live Free or Die. ;-)

And income to the state in a way that does not involve directly taxes. There are no independent liquor stores in NH....they are all run by the state.