• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Broken Bones, OUCH, Ever done it

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Well I made almost 30 year without breaking a bone until yesterday at lunch.

I am remodeling my kitchen, and thought I would run some electrical during the lunch hour. As I was running throught the house trying to get as much done as possible I twisted my ankle at the bottom of my stairs and POW :-c 8-! , there I go down to the ground, with one hell of a pain in my foot, ankle and up my leg.

After rolling around in pain for a few minutes I got up and limped back to work. This AM when I got out of bed it is sooo sore, stiff , and black and blue I went to a nearby immediate care clinic where it turns out I broke a bone in my foot (that I can pronounce). The bone that connects my shine bone to the bones that make up my two big toes. Concerned that it won't hear correctly and lead to other problems donw the road, they want to send me to an orthopedic surgeon.

THis suck, Right at the beginning of summer. NO more biking, camping, hiking, and a wedding only 8 weeks away 8-! .

Well that is my story of my first ever broken bone, why couldn't it have been a easy one like my arm, anythin bu my foot.

What is your story, ever break a bone? Hurts don't it.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I was in kindergarten and my brother was in 6th grade. He chased me around he house and I tripped over the drain pipe. Broken leg - hurt like h*ll. At least I got the front seat of the school bus - great for a 6 year old.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Nope. I've managed to make it 27 years without nary a twisted ankle or a broken bone. However, now that I've jinxed myself by saying that, I'm probably going to fall face first onto the curb while getting off the bus this afternoon and break at least three of them.

boiker

Cyburbian
Me: 26 yrs and counting.. no broken bones. :-D
Mrs B: Broke 2 meta-carpels in her hand, metal plates installed.
Little Boy Boiker: Broke his Tibia playing kick ball when he was 2.
Little Girl Boiker: 19 months and counting! :)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Wrist - As a kid swinging on pipes in the basement
Leg - Skiing as a teen
Knuckle - Punching, er... something.

Now ask me about stab wounds. I have 20 or so of those...

SGB

Cyburbian
In 8th grade I broke my right humerous about 1 inch below the shoulder while x-country skiing. It turned out I had a bone cyst there that was just waiting for an excuse to cause a break.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
30+ years and counting....no broken bones.....cartilage floating in both knees, tendon damage to my ankle, torn muscle in my ribcage....but no broken bones. ;-)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Knock on wood !!!! 34+ and no broken bones, although I did sustain a fractured thumb trying to avoid a baseball. I was batting and got nailed. My mellon bounced off the concrete one time after a BMX freestyle accident.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
My mellon bounced off the concrete one time after a BMX freestyle accident.
Are we counting blows to the head beacuse I've had the misfortune of having more than my share of them. But for some reason or another I can't remember exactly how many? ;-)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Only one so far--toe--while practicing ballet. I did a grand jatte into a door jamb. Effectively ended my dance career before it even got going. Track did a number on my knees, though; they make all kinds of interesting noises.

Floridays

Cyburbian
I've never broken any bones myself, but they had to "break" parts of my feet during orthopedic surgery when I was around 18 years old. Hurt like H***! I had to lay there with bags of ice on my feet for hours, then then put casts on both legs for 6 weeks. There was not a razor durable enough to shave my legs when those babies came off! :-D
The worst part was getting the stitches removed. My doctor wasn't much on bedside manner, and just started YANKING them out. I screamed so much that he got disgusted and had an intern do it for him.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Fractured left wrist when I was about 6 y.o. Cause: falling off my cousin's horse.

Fractured mandible in two places (open reduction, wire is still there and will remain); complete fracture of the right radius and ulna (open reduction, plates in there for about 6 months); and finally what the doctors termed "multi-fractures of the face and skull." Cause: automobile accident.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Broken? Fractured ribs... skiing as a teenager and fractured wrist while rollerskating when I was around 11 years old. Both cases, no cast... just tape (ribs) and bandage/splint (wrist).

The ribs were the worst... hard to breathe. :(

I've also dislocated my jaw playing flag football and had knee injuries due to that damn sport.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Wrist in two places and forearm in two after a bad tackle in soccer as a HS freshman. Twelve weeks in a finger-tip to arm-pit plaster cast. Fortunately, it was late fall / early winter so it didn't stink as bad as it would have had it been summer. :-c

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
After living in Utah and Breckenridge, CO and skiing for 8+ yrs w/o health insurance 8-!
Lady Luck rode with me - No broken bones;
but 15 yrs later my knees are giving me trouble, I wonder why - NOT.
Also 4 yrs as a Volunteer Firefigther/EMT - no injuries reported.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Broke my left collarbone in an auto accident when I was 15. Of course, there's no cast for that, just a sling, so everytime you move, lots of pain.

Broke the same little toe 4 times.

jestes

Cyburbian
Broken Collarbone - Three years old - I fell off of my Dad's lap (He is 6'4 which makes for a tall lap to a 3 year old.
Three broken fingers - Two playing football and one playing basketball.

By the way, I have been somewhat absent from the world of Cyburbia for the last month or so while I have transitioned to the new job. Unfortunately, other than the occasional lurk I have not had much time to post. It's good to be back.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Once, and I didn't know it until a week later.

I slipped on some ice in a parking lot. I instinctively thrust my arm in front of my chest to buffer the fall, and landed on my forearm. It hurt like hell. I thought it was sprained, but when the pain didn't go away, I finally went in to see my doctor A set of x-rays later, and the diagnosis was a simple fracture. I had to wear a sling for eight weeks.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I wish that mine was only a broken bone. When I was younger I was in a skiing accident (racing) and lets just say I kicked the front right side of my head, with the toe on my left ski boot. I blew my ACL, MCL, and messed up a bunch of stuff.

It works better now that I have had surgery.

Maybe I will see you and your crutches at Blues-Fest tonight!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
None ever... Probably because I lived on a dairy farm until I was 8

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
no broken bones to date.

lots of stitches, though....and one dislocated shoulder (ouchy)

I broke my right arm skating when I was 11. Green stick fracture, so I was only in a cast for 3 weeks -- during which time, I did everything left-handed. I have been confused about left and right ever since. |-)

Pacific*Sand

No broken bones yet!, but I'm trying to upscale from beginner to not-so-wannabe-surfer level, some bruises and jelly fish bites are my daily bread.

But I don't wanna work today, I'd rather work on breaking my bones with some style, ya'll know..

cololi

Cyburbian
umm yeah.

Tib-fib fracture (skiing)
Tibia fracture (just below kneecap, skiing)
colar bone (skiing)
skull (not skiing, mt. biking, with helmet)
multiple phalanges (multiple activities)
fractured tail bone (skateboarding)
pretty sure I broke a bone in my foot playing basketball, never had it checked, but 10 years later, i get the same sharp pain in the exact same spot.

The good news, it's been about 6 years since a fracture

ludes98

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Broke my left collarbone in an auto accident when I was 15. Of course, there's no cast for that, just a sling, so everytime you move, lots of pain.
Broke my right collarbone (clavicle) doing insanely stupid BMX jumps at the not so wise age of 14. Ditto the hurts everytime you move. Sleeping sucked.

donk

Cyburbian
I have broken my arm/wrist. It was a small spiral break. I did not realize it was broken until the next day when the entire side of my body was numb. They only put a hlaf cast and wrap on it.

Now for a stupid, but true break story. When I was hospitalized for something else, the guy next to me had basically ripped his foot out of the socket and broken his leg. How did he do it?. He ran over himself with a tractor. How did he do that? Showing his neigbour how nice "she" started up. He reached in, thought it was in neutral, started it, it bucked and pinned him. The neighbour then had to climb into the tractor, and back it off of him. Try being in the most pain you've ever been in, and ever will be in, and hearing that story 1000 times. It was funny the first five or six times, but quickly lost its charm.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Only one break. A finger. The middle one. Very convenient having it extended all the time.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Only toes. The right big toe playing basketball in high school. It still predicts the weather quite accurately. And then this summer, another toe on the same foot. Rolled a big rock over on that foot during a stream crossing in Yellowstone. The other toes act as natural splints and I walked another 100 miles or so on it, but it will always be twice as large as it used to be.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Three days before his fourth birthday, my son fell from the "rocket rider" on our swing set and ended up with a spiral compression fracture of his left femur. They say femur fractures sound like gunshots -- I can affirm this. Indeed, the combination of the sound of the fracture and seeing the thigh bend where it isn't supposed to bend still makes me physically ill. But this is where the saga begins.

The orthopaed gave us three options: traction for two weeks followed by a full body cast for ten weeks; external fix (pins drilled into the bones with rods between the pins outside the body) for two weeks, followed by a full body cast for ten weeks; or, nails placed inside the bone the weave it back together. This last, he explained, was not something he had ever done (so we'd have to go to Louisville with him in severe pain), and they might not do it because of his small size. (This is when alarm bells should have started going off....) We chose the pins becuase two weeks in traction would be a living hell for all involved. They took my little boy off to surgery.

Everything went well, but he was in rough shape post-op as you might imagine. I stayed the night with him in his room where he could not sleep a wink without jerking awake crying. He had a lot of blood from the pin sites, so I asked a nurse to check and she called a doctor to come look and announced it was normal. As the nurse left, she said something to the effect of "we've never seen a little guy like this with pins, so we wanted to double-check". Huh?

I called our pediatrician and explained the situation and our concerns and she promised to come to the hospital that afternoon. Meanwhile, the orthopaed came in and released him when we felt ready to go. We told him we weren't leaving until the pediatrician met with us. When we met her she was quite distressed: she talked to a pediatric orthopaed who explained that pins were never an option for children under the age of seven. We called him and placed our son in his care. He told us when he first saw my son to leave the pins in for five weeks -- the bone would substantially heal by then, and then use a full-leg cast (as opposed to the body cast) for an additional five weeks.

It was a long ten weeks for my son and our family, but he has healed completely and shows no ill effects from the expereince, aside from four quarter-sized scars a couple inches above his knee and below his hip bone. I have read about a higher incidence of arthritis (particularly in the knee) in patients that have had external fixes, but our pediatrician isn't concerned about it right now, so ...

I don't know whether this ever rose to the level of mal-practice. Sometimes I think it did, but we never pursued that angle. I will say that I will never, ever again take my children or my loved ones to the same hospital.

The One

Cyburbian
One small toe

I think I cracked one of my small toes skiing, never bothered to find out for sure.....otherwise, break free.....

Cardinal said:
Only one break. A finger. The middle one. Very convenient having it extended all the time.
I didn't break it but I had that same finger in some kind of splint for a while when I was...um...in high school or junior high or something. I don't remember what I did to it. Not a real big owie. :-D

Rem

Cyburbian
Arm, toes (compound - it is possible), nose, fingers. Always playing or practising sport - I'm glad I live in hot dry place - if we had snow covered mountains and ice lakes I might have killed myself.

I'll vouch for nerudite's broken ribs being the worst - I've had a rib cartilage injury and it was the most uncormafortable I've ever been.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
Well I made almost 30 year without breaking a bone until yesterday at lunch.

I am remodeling my kitchen, and thought I would run some electrical during the lunch hour. As I was running throught the house trying to get as much done as possible I twisted my ankle at the bottom of my stairs and POW :-c 8-! , there I go down to the ground, with one hell of a pain in my foot, ankle and up my leg.

After rolling around in pain for a few minutes I got up and limped back to work. This AM when I got out of bed it is sooo sore, stiff , and black and blue I went to a nearby immediate care clinic where it turns out I broke a bone in my foot (that I can pronounce). The bone that connects my shine bone to the bones that make up my two big toes. Concerned that it won't hear correctly and lead to other problems donw the road, they want to send me to an orthopedic surgeon.

THis suck, Right at the beginning of summer. NO more biking, camping, hiking, and a wedding only 8 weeks away 8-! .

Well that is my story of my first ever broken bone, why couldn't it have been a easy one like my arm, anythin bu my foot.

What is your story, ever break a bone? Hurts don't it.

Well I saw the orthopedic surgeon late last week and it turns out that the fracture that showed up in the x-ray was an old stress fracture that the immediate care physician misread as a new fracture. The Orthopedic Surgeon says I just aggeravated the old fracture and no serious problems, no need for surgery or pins to put my bones back in place.

The Orthopedic Doctor says I have High Arches and I roll my foot when I walk and stress fractures and arch pain are common in people with my foot structure. So the next step is to get orthotics to put in my shoes to correct my arch problem and hopefull eleminate any future foot problems.

It sure was a painful experience, I'm glad I'm on the mend and I'm looking forward to getting back on my bike in a few more day.

Which leads me to ask, do you always get a second opinion on your medical injuries. Clearly the doctor at the Clinic gave me a bum diagnosis.

Have you ever gotten a bum diagnosis and had it result in a medical error?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
On the bone breaking... I only broke one when I was about 12; the right little finger when I slipped and somehow the desk I had gotten a grip off broke off and fell right on my finger... didn't hurt much, and at first I didn't even think I had any broken bones. Anyways since it was in school and the reason I broke my finger was due to a faulty desk, the school had to pay for the medical expenses. :)

Speaking of bum diagnosis.. I once got diagnosed hepatitis.. they ran the tests and turned out that I didn't have any Hepatitis, just some weird discompensation that made my liver larger, and I was sick for like a week.

PlannerByDay said:
Have you ever gotten a bum diagnosis and had it result in a medical error?
When I was 14, I stepped on a needle barefoot. It broke in half and half of it went deep into the bottom of my foot. I could see the end of it under the skin but I really did not know what had happened. But, by the time we got to the ER, the swelling obscured it. The doctor was about to get off work in 5 minutes and didn't want to order x-rays. They basically taped me up and sent me home. Within a couple of days, I had blood poisoning. We went back to the hospital and they gave me a tetanus shot to treat the blood poisoning...and still did not do an X-ray. A couple of days later, the mom at the house I been at found the other half of the broken needle, called my mom, and we went back to the ER. They spent 2 hours digging around in my foot, looking for the needle.

I have a nasty scar that still bothers me sometimes.

donk

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Speaking of bum diagnosis.. I once got diagnosed hepatitis.. they ran the tests and turned out that I didn't have any Hepatitis, just some weird discompensation that made my liver larger, and I was sick for like a week.
That is a hang over young skel. ;)

Now for funny, not necessarily bad medical advice.

After my kidney stone I had really bad nerve problems(sciatica, numbness in feet etc) for about a year (still do to a lesser extent). Went to the neurologist. His advice was as follows:

1) Wear warmer socks, specifically, mohair ones (3 pairs at $28 a pop - wholesale, luckily mother is in the knitting business and was able to trade goods for them)
2) Get out of the former town I lived in .(Done, but not really an improvement, hopefully I'll be out of here soon)
3) Try to eat a more kosher diet. (It hurts sometimes, but is doable, but boy do I get cravings for BBQ Pork ribs and shellfish)
4) Meet a nice jewish girl (Recently dumped, but will be looking again soon)

For awhile I had accomplished all four and was feeling better, now not so much.

donk, that is kind of funny. But, on a serious note, you should up your in-take of b-complex vitamins. That can help heal the nerves in your feet. It has helped mine a whole lot. :)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear.....

.....broken ankle, age 12, riding down a hill (and the hills in Toledo are more like speed bumps).....just a few days after school was out of the summer....numerous plaster casts (it was the early 1960's and plaster is all they had).....in casts until just a few days before school started in autumn.....the year before I had finished the baseball season by pitching a no-hitter in our Little League All-Star Game and the broken ankle dismantled (forever) my baseball career.....

.....broken toe, playing basketball. Was being guarded by a big lug named "Steve" who got "pi##ed" at me for scoring, so he stomped on my foot.....

.....broken wrist, playing basketball against Ohio Highway Patrol dudes.....was off the b-ball court for about four (4) months so I started running, lost 35 pounds and started running on a regular basis.....

.....broken heart.....oh, wait a minute.....wrong thread.....

Bear