• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Brush with Fame (Merged with Brush with Greatness)

pete-rock

Cyburbian
prudence said:

Is that based on the horrible Alex Kotlewicz book? The one about the kids growing up in the HUD housing on Chicago's near west side??

Yup, the one and only. I didn't much care for the book, either. Oprah, however, raved about how the book would alter all our perceptions of the inner city, be the most important book since "How The Other Half Lives," blah, blah, blah.

That movie was done in '94 or '95. One of the child stars of the movie later emulated his role in the movie; he later dropped out of school, became involved in drug dealing and was shot and killed in a "gang-related" shooting here in Chicago late last year.

Sorry. I think I'm becoming the "doom-and-gloom" poster.

Planderella

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:

Yup, the one and only. I didn't much care for the book, either. Oprah, however, raved about how the book would alter all our perceptions of the inner city, be the most important book since "How The Other Half Lives," blah, blah, blah.

That movie was done in '94 or '95. One of the child stars of the movie later emulated his role in the movie; he later dropped out of school, became involved in drug dealing and was shot and killed in a "gang-related" shooting here in Chicago late last year.

Sorry. I think I'm becoming the "doom-and-gloom" poster.

No.....actually you're the movie star!! You actually met the Reading Rainbow man!!! Can I get your autograph! :D :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
And lastly, I saw Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte up close when they were filming a horrible movie they made here in Chicago.

I saw that one. They were both reporters competing for a story and ended up working together. Parts of it were filmed in Madison.

Planderella

Cyburbian
Distantly Related to Greatness

My maternal grandfather is Smokey Robinson's second cousin. However, they look like they could be brothers as they both have the same complexion and grey/green eyes.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Distantly Related to Greatness

Planderella said:
My maternal grandfather is Smokey Robinson's second cousin. However, they look like they could be brothers as they both have the same complexion and grey/green eyes.

But can he sing?

Planderella

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Distantly Related to Greatness

Tom R said:

But can he sing?

He died when I was only 4 yrs old so I don't really know. :( I certainly didn't pick up any of those traits. :\

biscuit

Cyburbian
Brush with Fame

OK people, here's your chance to drop names, brag and show how known and well connected you are to the rich, famous and infamous. I'll start with a recent encounter.

Sally Struthers...

Saw her as she was walking out of the liquor store in my neighborhood yesterday. I went up and started talking to her (no I didn't ask her how the kids were doing) and asked for her autograph which she wrote...
"To ____ with Big Love, Sally Struthers."

That's so good on so many levels.

- My first cousin's first cousin is Melissa Joan Hart, of Sabrina the Teenage Witch fame.

- My ex boyfriend's dad used to take his car to Joey Buttafuoco's car shop

Nerudite has all the really good ones!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Sorry 'bout that. I am still so excited about meeting Ms. Struthers that I forgot to do a pre-search. The woman has that intoxicating effect on me. ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I hate to throw water on this thread but we've been down this road before.

do you remember every thread that has ever been posted on this board?

I did remember this one though.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Threads merged. Thanks for the research, Planderella.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My pathetic brushes with fame:

I saw Weird Al Yankovich at a late night restaurant. I was with my friend, his sister and brother in law. The brother in law was actually getting jealous that his wife was talking to Weird Al.

Tiny Tim would often shop at the department store where I worked. 80’s pop group Expose also shopped there once (wow!)

My grandfather was army buddies with Uncle Festus from the Adams family

My wife recently saw John Lithgow at the mall being rude to autograph seekers.

Last but not least ...I saw JAMES WOOD'S BROTHER at a supermarket parking lot last year!!! Top that!!!

Queen B

Cyburbian
Christopher Walken was out jogging and ran past me in the mall, I thought man that guy looks familiar and later that night I found out they were filming in town.

My husband went to school with Kirsty Allie (sp?) and met Don Johnson at his sister's house after she had given him flying lessons.

A buddy of mine played in the band with Paul Revere before he was famous. But I did get to meet him and the band.

We had drinks with Three Dog Night and I have a drum stick, not from the same occurance.

My daughter touched Garth Brooks. And my brother got pictures with Garth's mom and dad.

I have been to a number of National League of Cities conferences so have rubbed elbows with many politicians. The host cities always try to show there best stuff. Two of the best being treated like a celeb would be Sea World Orlando closed to the public and only open for the conference.
And completely shutting down traffic as we passed through Kansas City on a Friday Evening. I have never seen so much backed up traffic as our motorcade passed through.

kms

Cyburbian
My aunt's uncle was Foster Brooks.

I went to high school with actress Sheila Kelley and golfer Rocco Mediate, but we weren't friends then or now.

Al Smith, NYC mayor and presidential candidate is a distant cousin according to my grandmother.

I was Citizen of the Year a few years ago. That gives you all a brush with fame. :)

boiker

Cyburbian
lack of fame

i was in chicago when they were filming a movie.. didn't see anyone i recongnized.

i've attended countless minor league sporting events and often exchanging lengthy conversations of "nice hit" and "good throw" with the players.

I got on the score (670 am) in chicago and voiced my opinion about sammy sosa and cork.

I got my letter to the editor published once when i was 10 in the local newspaper.

i lead a rich life.. as you can tell..i'm obsessed with meeting famous people.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I was an extra in a really bad Tom Berringer movie. I think you can see the back of my head for a split second. Meet Tom Berringgeron a couple o occasions while in college.

Meet Bill Murrey at a Charleston Riverdogs game (minor league baseball team that he co-owns with Jimmy Buffet)

Meet the hot Italian actress who played Charlie Sheen's love interest in Hot Shots - super hot.

Jodie Foster came into a returaunt my fiance was hostesing in and (yes, I couldn't make it up) did order the lamb. Dave Matthews also hit on my fiance once. She said he's not very good looking.

I was in a dive bar in Carleston at about 3:00 with some friends and about 15 other people when a very drunk Darius Rucker (lead singer for Hootie and the Blowfish) got up on stage and said everyones drinks were on him for the rest of the night. Bring out the good stuff!

You know, these are all pretty lame in hindsight.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Nerudite has all the really good ones!

Thanks! I think I covered most of them between the previous thread and the two truths and a lie thread.

Don't have too much more to add these days... except hockey players. So now I've met Jamie Lundmark and Jarome Iginla. But I don't think that means much to most people out there... :)

Edit: I also split a beer with Angelo Moore of Fishbone back when I was 18 or 19... I don't think I mentioned that in any of the previous threads.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Dave Matthews also hit on my fiance once. She said he's not very good looking.

Oh yeah, well my wife was asked whether she wanted to "get freaky" with an even uglier band, the Spin Doctors.

She said no. I know she's telling the truth because we're still alive.

spin2.jpg

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I made MAthew McConoguehey (I know that's not spelled right) a smoothie once. He was arrogant- right after Contact came out...

I seated they guy from Murphy Brown (Eldon the painter) at a restaurant I used to work at.
At the same restaurant, Bill Clinton was a patron during his presidential reign.

I was held by Dolly Parton when I was a baby. My dad used to be a record producer.

I saw Juliette Lewis at an X-Games competition in Dallas a few years ago. She's really short....REALLY short. Like under 5'

I have met many DJ's and musicians.....

my picture is posted in the gallery, so I am famous too, heheh

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
living in chicago is cool

I saw Mike Starr walking on my street. Who is Mike Starr, you ask. He is the actor who has been in practically everything for the past 25 years. Most notably, he was the hit man that Harry and Lloyd accidentally kill with the rat poison spiked hamburger in Dumb and Dumber. He lives in my neighborhood.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Fun thread! Let's see if I can remember all my celebrity encounters...

* Went to elementary school (during the 1 yr. I lived in California) with Erin Murphy, the girl who played Tabitha on Bewitched - she was really nice

* Met Ellen Corby, then known as Grandma Walton, at a McDonald's in California

* Met Bonnie Franklin from the show One Day at a Time on a train

* My aunt and uncle were friends with Tippi Hedren ("The Birds") and Mike Farrell from M*A*S*H

* In the '70s, got autographs from Shirley MacLaine and Tony Randall; I think they were campaigning for someone at the time

* Met and talked with Johnny and Joey Ramone. I still have Joey's autograph on a napkin!

* Met Peter Zaremba from the Fleshtones (he also hosted an early MTV show, can't remember what it was called...)

* I'm 99.7% certain I saw Henry Rollins at O'Hare Airport a few years ago

That's all I can remember right now. Back to work!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I think I was about 10 or 11 years old when I shook hands with then-Calif. Gov. Edmund G. "Pat" Brown. I can honestly say that's the only famous (near-famous?) person I've ever met.

oulevin

Cyburbian
Brushes with fame are minute and ordinary, but here goes --

My folks and I ran into the late Jim Davis, the old "Jock" during an on location shoot of "Dallas"

A childhood friend is Beau Sia, a noted Asian-American NYC poet who stars in Russell Simmons' Def Poetry Jam (featured in the Tony Awards a few weeks ago; he wrote a response to Jewel's book of poems

I took a class with country music singer Kellie Coffey (?) in high school; was Senior Class Secretary/Treasurer, and TALL

In terms of planning and architecture, I was taught by Norman Krumholz an intro class, and met Rafael Vinoly during his public session on the Cleveland Museum of Art design; I told him (sincerely) that I hoped his WTC design would win (it didn't as we all know)

As a former intern for the state's lieutenant governor, I rode in a limousine to the airport with then-Miss America Shawntel Smith, who had been Miss Oklahoma

Politicians, I've met a few: shaken hands with John McCain, Jack Kemp, and talked with former Gov. Frank Keating, former representative and football hall of famer Steve Largent; back when I was studying international relations, one of my professors was the former Bolivian ambassador Edwin Corr, who was suspected of knowing a thing or two about Iran-Contra; when working at Williams Sonoma, I tried to take an order from Kitty Dukakis, but she reneged at the last moment; at the law office I used to work at, I saw Neil Bush, the president's brother;

Finally, as I am totally entranced by the power in DC, I went to the Caucus Room, a steakhouse known for the wheeling and dealing that goes on in there -- I think I saw Joe Lockhart, the president's (at the time) press secretary; just when I was disappointed at the turnout, I headed to the bathroom, when I passed Kenneth Starr who was introducing a younger woman (okay, I think it was a daughter) to the hostess

Last edited:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Mine are mostly politicians, since NH is where all the presidential candidates come in anticipation of the primary.

Met Bill Clinton while wearing a Harkin for president button.

Met Al Gore at a downtown Concord bar/tavern.

BKM

Cyburbian
Rod Woodson (former Steeler) went to my high school (Snider High School, Fort Wayne). My brother played on the team the same year he was their star.

That's about it, for me.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I had a beer with El Guapo once. when I mentioned that Hillary was hot, he suggested that we go hunting...just you and me...alone.

tsc

Cyburbian
I met Hillary Clinton at a recent book signing. Security was pretty tight and I had my work ID on (too afraid to loose it) and she said... "Do you work around here" and I replied "Yes, I work for Westchester County Planning" .. and she exclaimed and raised her pen in the air " Planning, YEAH!!!"

A better brush with fame...is I know the originator of the Fried Twinkie... been to the restaurant and was served the fried delicacy before it was on the menu. (the chef is friends with one of my best friends)

I also spent a night drinking with the former mayor of Boston, Raymond Flynn...on st. patty's day.... I didn't realize it until the next day and I saw his picture in the paper!!

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
ts corbitt said:
I also spent a night drinking with the former mayor of Boston, Raymond Flynn...on st. patty's day.... I didn't realize it until the next day and I saw his picture in the paper!!

That one reminds me, the Governor of Tennessee bought me several drinks one night while I was living in Dallas. His "bodyguard" and his wife were also patrons at the table. I think the gov. might be kinda.........kinky.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I went to high school and performed in community theatre with Dave Koepp, the writer of the Jurrasic Park screen play, co-writer of the movie The Paper, yadda yadda... I think I mentioned this in a thread about 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon (I can get to him in three, thanks to Dave).

de-bug

Celebrities are few and far between in the cornfields of Indiana. Johnny 'Cougar' was at one of my swim meets growing up...I had no idea who he was, though. Many years later, now known as John Mellencamp, I saw him at a Pottery Barn in Indy.

Don't know if this one counts, but I'll be wearing the wedding dress Reese Witherspoon wore in Sweet Home Alabama when I get married this summer. The actual dress that was custom made for her by Carolina Herrera (as well as the pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes she wore with it). Found it on eBay the day after my fiance and I rented the movie!!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mike Myers was at City Hall yesterday to pick up the Key to the City, and get a street named after him.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Mike Myers was at City Hall yesterday to pick up the Key to the City, and get a street named after him.

Austin Powers Man of Mystery Blvd?

I also need to add former boxing champ Vinny "the Pazmanian Devil" Pazienza to my list. He's a local and I've seen him acting like a big shot in a Dunkin Donuts. His autographed picture is in every Italian restaurant here.

This begs the question - Did Dan Tasman call himself the "Tasmanian Devil" in high school?

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I bumped into Kristie Alley in the greeting card section of a general store in the small seaside town of Camden, Maine. she and John Travolta have vacation homes (er, monstrosties) there. Kirstie looked like a train wreck - really fat and all disheveled.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Greenescapist said:
Kirstie looked like a train wreck - really fat and all disheveled.

At least she didn't kidnap you and force you to buy wicker foutons and stinky candles from Pier 1.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I thought she look hot in "Cheers". A good solid 8.

I agree, I used to think she was good looking as Rebecca. And her character was fun, too. But, I think once Cheers ended, her career went into a tailspin. I'm not usually up on celebrity gossip, but I think she had booze and drug problems, too. I guess, to her credit, she was on vacation, in a little town in Maine, probably not expecting to be noticed. But, goddamn, I thought she looked scary.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I forgot a couple of run-in's.

Had a quick chat and got an autograph from Charlie Danials at the SC Lower State Fair back in '97. My roomates and I got super white trashed up (overalls, cover-alls, trucker hats, etc...), covered our cars with #3 and "Fear This" logos we had drawn on notebook paper and went to the fair to see The Charlie Danials Band. We tried to pay at the gate with Greenback Stamps and made enough noise that we were interviewed for the 11:00 pm news. Nothing like some good old drunken, fake redneck fun.

Meet Natalie Merchant walking in downtown Greenville, SC. She was very nice and didn't mind a brief chat. Although I should have, I didn't getting around to telling her about the secret crush I had on her during her 10,000 Maniacs days.

H

Cyburbian
off topic

biscuit said:
[B ...Nothing like some good old drunken, fake redneck fun... [/B]

We used to do similar stuff... We would get all “decked out” and go to places like the Woodstock Ga dirt track, also known as Dixie Speedway. 10 years ago Woodstock was country, now it is just another suburb of Atl, but anyway. I agree, drunken fake redneck fun is great!

We also did this for the Charlie Daniels Band as well in Calhoun Ga “Concerts in the Country”

and Hank & others.

I’m talking 10 gallon hats, sh!t kickers, a case of high life, the 9 yards (we were playing of course, it was all in good fun).

Ah, good times……….

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sue said:
while I have my photos open.....

Sue - that is hallowed ground, baby!

ACK! I met willie in 1991. He played our local community festival, as did Charlie Daniels. Although In general I dont like thier music, they put on a hell of a 2 day show! My college friends talk about it to this day.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmmm never bumped in with anybody famous that I know of.... Oh wait... I met SkeLeton when I looked at myself at the mirror! that's the only famous guy I know! :D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I met Mike Gurnee at APA Denver.

Last edited:

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I love willie nelson....I think of him as a father-type person, although I've met him once in person. My dad used to know him pretty well back inhis recording days....

carlomarx

Cyburbian
Nerudite, how can you dis Courtney? Remember, like a month ago (I just discovered this thread) you wrote a post that said she was evil? Uh, I am SO upset! she's like, almost average! ...I actually am in orbit around Nirvana right now... Foo Fighters and Hole in the car.

And may I add my brush with greatness: I have a friend who works at Dreamworks... Does that count? Brush with Production Assistants?

And my talent...

Having white skin and redding hair, I can BLUSH with greatness.

PS: Nice, SkeL. That's the healthy self-image we all need. ;)

Last edited: