• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Brush with Fame (Merged with Brush with Greatness)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have seen Michael Keaton, Jim Nabors, and Brian Dennehy at Disney World.

My dad had lunch with JFK and, as a child, met one of the Ringling Brothers.

On trips to NYC as a teenager, I saw Bob Hope walking thru Rockefeller Center, and also the guy who played Spock's father on Star Trek.

My best friend talked to Bruce Springsteen on the phone in 1974.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I met "Stone Cold" Steve Austin (wrestler) at an Albertson's in San Antonio.

I was one of the tour guides at a local tourist destination that took a group of underprivledged kids on a tour with David Robinson & Tim Duncan. Those guys are real class acts.

I met Mark Cuban (owner of the Dallas Mavs) at a playoff game in San Antonio.

I met Lance Armstrong a couple of years ago.

I'm another person that has met Willie Nelson. I met him at the 4th of July picnic in Luckenbach a few years back.

Sue

Willie is cooler than any politician.....especially in our line of work!
Helps to keep things real.

Jesse, I actually took the photo for my dad, the person who turned me on to him. It was at a small unpublished gig in PA. He's plays in this particular town every year for a friend who helped him out after he got busted by the IRS

I also got my picture in front of his bus, the "red-headed stranger" But stood in front of the R, so it just said "red headed strange" :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Got to bring back this one.

Guess who I had mexican food with the other night?

. . . Nope.

. . . Nope.

That's right, General Tommy Franks!

All right, so I didn't actually eat with him or even see him but at a Mexican restaurant in Mystic CT a bunch of secret service guys came in, scoped the place out and sat in a private room. After they left the waitresses said it was him. He was probably at a nearby naval base.

I'm sure he's talking about seeing me too. ;)

pandersen

Cyburbian
Celebrity Encounter

Me,
Back in the late 1990's part of a holywood movie was filmed on our property in rural Southern Ontario. The Move "Trapped in Paradise"starred Dana Carvey, John Lovity and Nicholas Cage. The film was a comedy aboout three bumbling bank robbers who do a bank job on Christmas Eve during a blizzard. The scene filmed on our property saw the 3 bandits being chased down a country lane being chased by several state troopers in their cars. I got to meet each of the stars and get autographed pictures. After filming had rapped, the production company held a special private advance screening of the film for all those private citizens who had their properties in the film.

Great fun.

otterpop

Cyburbian
As a budding newspaper reporter, I covered the Mississippi delegation of the Special Olympics. Got to chat briefly with a number of celebrities - Marlo Thomas, Christopher Reeve, Dick Sargent, Arnold Schwanneger, etc.

Literally bumped into Michael Keaton at a restaurant in Big Timber, MT, where he has a home.

Interviewed the Guess Who and got invited to the after concert party.

But most of all, I met JIMMY BUFFETT!

JNL

Cyburbian
A few weeks ago I was at the same restaurant as Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Miranda Otto and a few more LOTR crew. They were in town to do some filming.

My ex met Dave Grohl while in Florida.

umm that's about it.. but hey I am geographically isolated

SGB

Cyburbian
My wife saw Jon Bon Jovi land in a private helicopter on the northern shoreline of Lake George, NY earlier this summer.

Word was he had bought his dad some nice lakefront property nearby.