• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Brushes with Disaster

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This is morbidly inspired by Brushes with Fame.

I just found this morning that a good friend of mine is in federal prison for 7 months and then has 7 months of ankle-bracelet house arrest after that! Crime doesnt pay!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Well fill us in...what did he do?

As for my brushes with disaster, the neighborhood I grew up in wasn't the kind youd call nice, needless to say I went to school with/knew several people who were victims of murder or are in jail for something.

donk

Cyburbian
My mother's cousin's daughter is one of the most famous children killed in Canada.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
An old boyfriend drove over the Sunshine Skyway bridge in St. Petersburg minutes before it was hit by a ship and a portion of the bridge collapsed.

My high school Latin teacher was killed in the Kansas City hotel skyway collapse.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
A guy I was friends with in junior high was recently convicted of beating a guy to death with a baseball bat. So glad we didn't keep in touch!

My mother's best friend was working at the GMAC office here in Jacksonville in 1990 when a lunatic came in and killed nearly everyone there. She escaped only because he was reloading his gun as he walked by the desk she was hiding under.

biscuit

Cyburbian
David Koresh used to live on my road back in SC. He left there to move into a larger home in Waco, TX.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
1) Backed my loaded tank (round in gun tube) into the safety tank on the range
2) Laid my motorcycle down on the pavement 3 times
3) Had a near miss on the tank trail with another tank (140 ton collision)
4) Have been hit broadside in the drivers side of the car twice by vehicles traveling in excess of 30mph (thank god no seat belt or my hips would have been crushed twice)
5) Run an ugly army bus into a building
6) Hit by cars while on bycicle 3 times
7) Had to park next to unexploded munitions many times
8) Rolling balls of fire in the tank turet
9) Had to drive over unexploded munitions (a little hard on the nerves that is)

Conclusion: I have a tremendously hard skull and I am INVINCEABLE to death by internal combustion engine of any type! I CAN FEEL THE POWER!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
When my older brother worked at McDonalds there was a weird co-worker who they nicknamed "Blade" for always carrying a knife. Soon after he murdered 2 young boys and hid their bodies in a local pond not far from McDonalds.

My wife is a distant relative of Joe Mollicone, locally famous ex-millionaire-fugitive whose theft contributed to the state's Savings & Loans crisis in the early 90's.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. grew up in same town where the John List murdered his family. List was profiled on America's Most Wanted.
2. lived on a coastal barrier island - hurricanes.
3. was a volunteer Firefighter/EMT it was always that next page out.
4. currently live in risk of flood, tornado, earthquake, and hazmat.
5. dad worked on the docks in Hoboken NJ

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My good friend Jim used to hang out with Jeffrey Dahmer.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike D. said:
Well fill us in...what did he do?
Back in the late '80s he filed for bankruptcy and didnt disclose certain assets, namely race horses that were co-owned with other family members. It wasnt an oversight, he acknowledges it was intentional. They would have made him sell his interest in them. The feds found out. Justice has been served.

kms

Cyburbian
My friend's brother robbed the neighborhood bank twice in a short time span. He got caught the second time and went away for awhile, for both robberies.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Charles Manson spent his teen years in the last town I worked. Some relatives are still there, and almost as weird.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I was driving and talking on the cell phone... reporting a drunk driver to the 911 operator when he crossed the centerline and hit an oncoming car, which spun out into my lane. I accellerated and went off the road, or would have been toast.

I spent an afternoon at a base in one of the cities in Saudi Arabia. Instead of remaining, I decided to head back (350 miles) to my own camp. That night the place was hit by a Scud missile and several US troops were killed.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
What a morbid thread!

Oh, well, here goes.

A woman with whom I was close friends at the time was arrested for embezzling thousands of dollars from her employer (a not-for-profit organization). It came as quite a shock to her friends, including me, as she was a caring and generous (!) person. (After the arrest and subsequent publicity, she cut all social ties. She served a couple of years in prison and was released, but I don't know what happened to her after that.)

At the party where I met my future husband, I also met another young man who interested me. Since we traveled in overlapping social circles, I used to run into him frequently, but we never had a romantic relationship. A few years ago, he was murdered in a local park.

A couple friends from high school (not all from the same school!) have passed on -- one in a car accident, another who was raped and murdered, and at least two suicides that I know of.

BKM

Cyburbian
My brother observed a murder in the apartment complex we lived in a few years back.

A childhood acquaintenance served hard time for major drug trafficing.

I live in Northern California, earthquake central.

I drive the Interstate 80 corridor frequently.

A friend who I was carpooling with to a bicycle century was cut off in traffic. Rather than giving room, he stayed 12 inches off the rear bumper of the idiot in front of him. (It was a terrifying ride, overall).

The Irish One

I have three friends that commited suicide.

The first was an overdose from a speed ball. He died in the bathroom of his mom's house.

Second my good freind moved up to the boonies in No Cal and one day after much drinking and meth use decide to park his truck in his girlfriends driveway and blow his head off in the driver seat with the engine running. When he shot himself his foot pushed down on the gas and blew the engine.

Third My good friend decided to lay himself on the train tracks.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I almost drowned last spring on the Deerfield River in western Massachusetts. I was whitewater kayaking and flipped over when I hit an eddy line the wrong way. I was careless that morning when I fastened the spray skirt to the edge of my kayak, trapping the quick-release tab.

I spent about a minute or so upside-down in 40 degree water struggling to get the skirt off so that I could slide my body out. Since I couldn't find the tab, I had to find another way. I distinctly remembering being upside down there thinking this is how I could die. Luckily, I didn't panic and was able to summon the strengh to use my knees to break through the skirt and wiggle out of the kayak.

jordanb

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
Third My good friend decided to lay himself on the train tracks.
Not to desecrate his memory, but I think forcing someone else to kill oneself is just about the most selfish thing a person could possibly do. Your friend obviously did not care at all for the engineer of that train and what he put him through.

The Irish One

Jordan I couldn't agree with you more. Dealing with his choice of suicide meant having to understand what everybody went through. From the engineer to an eyewitness working at a job site nearby. And then his family and freinds learning how. It was a violent thing to do. All three suicides I mention have a component of telling the people in their lives to piss off.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
Jordan I couldn't agree with you more. Dealing with his choice of suicide meant having to understand what everybody went through. From the engineer to an eyewitness working at a job site nearby. And then his family and freinds learning how. It was a violent thing to do. All three suicides I mention have a component of telling the people in their lives to piss off.
An ex-boyfriend was out shopping with his mom when he was about 7. His mom sent him into the house with a bag of groceries while she got the mail. He found his dad, who had hung himself from a kitchen rafter.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I ran into a moose at over 110km/h (70 mph) once. Luckily, I just clipped it. Good thing there was no one in the front passenger seat though. I'm also thankful it was not my car.

I've known a couple of people that committed suicide, but no close friends.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I ran into a moose at over 110km/h (70 mph) once. Luckily, I just clipped it. Good thing there was no one in the front passenger seat though. I'm also thankful it was not my car.

I ran over an already-dead calf late one night; did major damage to the underside of the TransAm I owned at the time. Luckily I was able to drive home.

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:
\I drive the Interstate 80 corridor frequently.
The 80 is so tame. Buck up!

Want some fun... try the Pasadena Freeway. Has the shortest on-ramps I've ever seen, with some of the craziest drivers.

nerudite

Cyburbian
A place I went to in Egypt was bombed the week after I was there. I survived several large earthquakes (Northridge, Loma Prieta, San Fernando)...

I have been mugged a few times and have been in a 7-11 during a hold up (no, I wasn't the criminal).

Luckily, I've never been in a car accident as a passenger or driver.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
One time I was practicing juggling a large knife while I was lying on my bed (don't ask me why, I was 13...that's reason enough). On one toss, I missed and the knife hit my chest, handle-first. It hit hard enough to leave a large bruise. Knife juggling lost its appeal after that.

I had a friend in high school who died when he dove into some rough water to save someone else who fell in. His head was crushed when their boat was tossed into him. The other person who originally fell in survived.

I was in several bad car accidents with my parents when I was a kid, but never hurt.

donk

Cyburbian
A few more family ones

my cousin was killed by a bear while training for biathalon in quebec. The weird thing about this was that I was about 30 miles from the site where she died, at a bike race and they announced it over the intercom at the ski hill warning people to be careful about the bears. When I got home from vacation I read about it in the paper and then it clicked that it was my cousin. Not a good feeling.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
These two guys that I skateboarded with in high school got involved in drug dealing (long after I had quit hanging out with them) and came up with some scheme to rob this guy who was coming to buy drugs. They hid in the bushes and shot him. One guy is in prison for life for murder and the other was convicted of being an accessory to murder.

A guy that I worked with at UW-Milwaukee killed his aunt while messed up on crack.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Most Canadian Sentence Ever

Seabishop said:
That's the most Canadian sentence I've ever heard!
Sure, I hit a moose too, but it was with an open hand.
or

Question:
What's it like hitting a moose at 60 MPH.

Answer:
Same as hitting a person.