• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Bturk, Prudence, JFortin....and anyone else in Milwaukee

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I might possibly be driving to your great city next weekend to visit a friend. (for what it's worth, she is a planner too, somewhere around Milwaukee).

Anyhorn, she just moved there not too long ago. SO, feel free to give us some ideas of some fun things to do, places to go, etc. I am sure we will want to hit some bars or something.

Grassy Ass,
Christine

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Some ideas:

1. The Art Museum / Calatrava Addition
2. Mexican Fiesta at the Summerfest grounds
3. Downtown riverwalk
4. Brewery Tours in this order:
- Lakefront - How many tours encourage you drink BEFORE and during the tour?
- Sprecher - located in Glendale, where I work (just north of Milwaukee)
- Miller
4. If you are into the bar scene, these are a few of my faves:
- The Milwaukee Ale House - BrewPub with a great outdoor seating area on the Milwaukee River
- The Safe House - I can't reveal what goes on there - you'll have to find out for yourself.
- Trocadero - A newer bar with a great patio and excellent food
- The Vox
- Paddy's Pub - Cool Irish Bar with amazing decor...
- The Hi-Hat/Hi Hat Garage

If you need addresses, let me know. I will try and think of some other stuff

Also, check out www.onmilwaukee.com for all kinds of cool info.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Go to "The Social" or "Shakers" in Walkers Point for great food. They look like typical bars from the outside but both are excellent places to eat. Other new "must eat at" places:
-Swank
-Eve
-Onyx
-Sauce (one of my favorites)

The Safe House is a MUST see.

jtfortin hit the rest of the high-lights

There aren't many "dance clubs" if that's what you're looking for.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
boiker said:

..unless you like polka.... :)
actually no... they tend to be the gay bars though, except all the Marquette sorority chicks and straight couples that want to dance hang out there too.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I guess if you want to do the dance thing, my recommendation would be the Mad Planet at 533 E. Center has 80s night on Friday. I think saturday is a mixed bag. The neighborhood is so-so, but they have security guards walking around outside. Inside you will find a nice, un-pretentious, crowd, awesome music, and cheap, yet strong, drinks. Highly recommended even for non-dance clubbers.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
F***ing Illinois Bastards.

I don't hang out in Milwaukee much (prefer Madison) but I'll agree with Walker's Point and the Milwaukee AleHouse.

Jen

Cyburbian
Hey I married one of those FIB's and they all work very hard to live up to that name too.

Say Christine that is an interesting salutation "Grassy Ass". WHat does that mean really?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Grassy Ass = Gracias

Just one of those silly things I got used to saying :)

Thanks everyone for their input. I am sure we will have lotsa fun; although....I will try to make sure there are no pictures taken that could be put into the "Obnoxious/Embarrassing Picture" thread!

And just do you know...there is nothing wrong with POLKA!! Where I am from in Michigan, every weekend during the summer there is at least one festival (usually put on by churches) with maybe two rides, three concession stands, a ten acre beer tent, and lots of polka-ing (is that a word?). There is the Bavarian Fest, Polish Fest, Greek Fest, Octoberfest, Potato Fest, Corn Fest, Shields Fest...blah blah blah. Then I move to to south Michigan, and there is only ONE stinken beer tent (for one stinken weekend) in the entire County. What a shame....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I almost forgot....if you want a Polka bar, go to Art's Concertina Bar. They have live Polka every weekend. Its a good place to go to for a drink or two.

http://www.artsconcertinabar.com/

Also, make sure that you don't confuse this with "Art's Performing Center" on Juneau.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sheesh - Almost forgot!

Wolski's! You gotta close Wolski's!

1836 N. Pulaski St.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
hmmm...what kind of entertainment does Art provide? From the sounds of, unless I plan on trying to make some cash, I should probably avoid it :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SW MI Planner said:
hmmm...what kind of entertainment does Art provide? From the sounds of, unless I plan on trying to make some cash, I should probably avoid it :)
If you show up dressed like your avatar, you should be pretty popular....

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
F***ing Illinois Bastards.

I don't hang out in Milwaukee much (prefer Madison) but I'll agree with Walker's Point and the Milwaukee AleHouse.
Yep, F. I. B.S or more specifically, Fu**ing Chicago Bastards: Some of the most high-maintanance pieces of sh*t on the face of the earth.

They're sucking Wisconsin dry. They crowd out the the state's lovely state parks without paying a dime in taxes. They take over places like Like Geneva, turning Main Street into a orgy of crafts stores, coffee shops, and boutiques catering to a bunch of gallery hopping yuppies. They drive up land values and tear down small lake cottages for huge pretentious McMansions and turn Wisconsin's lake region into an SUV-choked Hellhole.

And not to let the lower classes of the hook, Wisconsin's liberal welfare laws have resulted in droves of deadbeat Chicagoans moving up there and turning places like Beloit and Racine into nothing but slums.

Yeah I hate 'em.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Super Amputee Cat said:

And not to let the lower classes of the hook, Wisconsin's liberal welfare laws have resulted in droves of deadbeat Chicagoans moving up there and turning places like Beloit and Racine into nothing but slums.

Ten years ago that would be true, but not since the W-2 program cleaned things up. Those cities are still suffering the effects of decade of impoverished in-migration though.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the flatlanders. They bring us tourism dollars and distract our State Troopers quite nicely....

prudence

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
I might possibly be driving to your great city next weekend to visit a friend. (for what it's worth, she is a planner too, somewhere around Milwaukee).

Anyhorn, she just moved there not too long ago. SO, feel free to give us some ideas of some fun things to do, places to go, etc. I am sure we will want to hit some bars or something.

Grassy Ass,
Christine
I need more info from you to provide specific destinations...jfortin did provide a great list however. Are you looking for live music, 20-something scene, 30-something scene, pick-up joints, dance clubs, places to chill??

Definitely go to the Lakefront Brewery tour...for $5 it's ALL YOU CAN DRINK, and it is located downtown...and the SafeHouse...

Need more info...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well Christine....

Did you take the trip, and if so, what were your impressions of Milwaukee?