• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Buffalo, New York - North Buffalo [w/images, long]

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Introducing ... North Buffalo!

1buffalo_north_buffalo_000-med.jpg

During the go-go 1920s, North Buffalo was considered the equivalent of Amherst or Clarence today; a shiny and new, booming and prosperous area. Streets platted in the late 1800s and early 1900s finally began to fill with houses ranging from Buffalo's characteristic two-flats to small mansions, as neighborhoods closer in became built out.

Streetcar lines that were built to North Buffalo before World War I, many in private rights-of-way, finally began to fill with passengers. Despite the streetcars, much of North Buffalo was developed with the car in mind. New houses were separated far enough to accomodate a driveway between them, and detached garages in the back yard were often standard.

North Buffalo was never a strongly ethnic neighborhood, but a large plurality of residents were Jews who relocated from the crowded lower East Side. In the 1970s through the present, Buffalo's Jewish population have slowly moved further to the northeast; those of modest means landed in eastern Tonawanda, while middle and upper income families settled in the Maple Road area in Amherst.

North Buffalo's Jews were replaced by Italian-Americans, most of which relocated from the lower and middle West Side. Buffalo's Puerto Rican community started in the Virginia Street area of the lower West Side, and grew northward towards Grant Street, the heart of Buffalo's Little Italy. Those that had the means moved a couple of miles away, to the western end of North Buffalo.

Today, North Buffalo is cosidered a stable, desirable city neighborhood. Some Jews remain, and Italians are the new dominant plurality. Despite all the Italian restaurants and specialty stores that line Hertel Avenue, though, North Buffalo is a multi-ethnic (but primarily European) neighborhood.

Where's all the people? First off, it was a weekday afternoon. Secondly, some North Buffalo residents are from the families of "legitimate businessmen", and they don't like to be photographed, capice? I got far more stink-eye documenting North Buffalo than any other place I've visited.

Here's a sampling of Hertel Avenue, a long street that forms the heart of North Buffalo's linear business district. Click on any image for a larger version.

1buffalo_north_buffalo_002-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_003-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_004-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_005-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_009-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_010-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_011-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_012-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_013-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_015-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_016-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_017-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_019-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_021-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_020-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_022-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_025-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_026-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_027-med.jpg

1buffalo_north_buffalo_029-med.jpg

BKM

Cyburbian
Buffalo looks amazingly like my hometown (Fort Wayne, Indiana)-especially the neighborhoods.

H

Cyburbian
Buffalo looks so nice in your photos. I have never been there. Why doe it get such a bad rap?

BKM

Cyburbian
Yeah, Dan. Can you post some images from the more "decayed" parts of town-like maybe Lacka-alquaida-awana?

Old industrial buildings are way cool subjects for photos!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Yeah, Dan. Can you post some images from the more "decayed" parts of town-like maybe Lacka-alquaida-awana?

Old industrial buildings are way cool subjects for photos!
Check out the Concrete Central pics, I don't think any alquida were hiding in there though.

BKM

Cyburbian
I did. Pretty cool photos! I should have commented. I would, however, like to see them on a sunny day.

Or, do you guys ever get those in October (just kidding-I could actually do with some clouds and cool temperatures. It was 91 in San Francisco yesterday-and the cool, gray city of love is not very attractive at 91 degrees :( )