• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Buffalo, New York - The Metro Rail That Never Was, Part 1

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Found this in my files, and I thought I'd get it online before I finish packing. This is the design for Buffalo's HEAVY RAIL rolling stock, from the April 1974 edition of the NFT Metro Newsletter.

I've got line drawings of the proposed "A" and "B" cars, too. I'll post them in a few weeks, if anybody's interested.

Not bad for a 29 year old design, huh?

RAPID TRANSIT CAR DESIGNED FOR NFTA

The sleek rail rapid transit vehicle shown above has been designed for the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority by Peter Muller-Munk Associates, of Pittsburgh. Electrically propelled, the trains will pick up power from a third rail carrying 650 volts of direct current. They will travel at about 55 MPH (90 kph).

Each Metro car will be 9'6" (2.9m) wide, 67' (20.5 m) long, and 11'2" (3.4 m) high from the top of the rail. The front end will be a fiberglass molding, with two windshields and en emergency evacuation door, and will provide for the train operator's cab and controls.

The photograph shows the NFTA Metro car as it would look at a platform in a subway station. The Metro transit stations will be designed to accomodate six-car trains, operating at 2-minute headways in peak traffic hours. The Metro cars will comfortable seat 60 seated passengers and 52 standees, for a total of 112 passengers in normal rush hour loading. They will have a maximum crush-load capacity of more than 200 passengers. The large, attractive picture windows will have tinted glass. There will be three sliding doors on each side of the car. These doors will permit two persons to enter or exit simultaneously.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
jordanb said:
How does this compare with Buffalo's existing subway?
Current Buffalo rolling stock: light rail, made by Tokyu in 1983. 67 feet long, 51 seats, 90 standees, maximum four car sets (usually runs in two or three car sets).

From http://www.nycsubway.org

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Current Buffalo rolling stock: light rail, made by Tokyu in 1983. 67 feet long, 51 seats, 90 standees, maximum four car sets (usually runs in two or three car sets).
-They've got some new stock in the line-up though.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rumpy Tuna said:
-They've got some new stock in the line-up though.
New rail cars? Any plans available online? They're not just old Tokyu cars that have been repainted, are they?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Hey Dan, here's some pics of the new rail car.
Looking south down Main St from Mowhawk
1657P1010014-med.jpg
Looking SE from Aud
1657P1010021-med.jpg
Looking east
1657P1010022-med.jpg
1657P1010023-med.jpg
Looking North as train goes under HSBC building.
1657P1010024-med.jpg