• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Buffalo NY - Elmwood Avenue 1996

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
By popular demand - a six kilometer long stretch of fantastic urbanity in the Great Lakes region. I'll post more parts in the series as I scan 'em in. Larger pics at http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery . Enjoy.

1elmwood_17.jpg

1elmwood_18.jpg

1elmwood_19.jpg

1elmwood_20.jpg

1elmwood_21.jpg

1elmwood_22.jpg

1elmwood_23.jpg

1elmwood_24.jpg

1elmwood_25.jpg

1elmwood_26.jpg

1elmwood_27.jpg

1elmwood_28.jpg

1elmwood_29.jpg

1elmwood_30.jpg

1elmwood_31.jpg

1elmwood_32.jpg

1elmwood_33.jpg

1elmwood_34.jpg

Thanks Dan,
It's like looking back at Elmwood from when I was a kid. I was in eight grade back in '96. Kinda crazy, not too much has changes, except most of the vacant buildings aren't vacant anymore. With the construction season just beginning there are about 5 projects happening on Elmwood, but I don't know what they all are.

Maybe I'll try to take some pictures when they get closer to completion. That empty lot, the "tot lot" is having a building built on it.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
The Elmwood Strip, revisited

Dan:

Thanks for the pix....great shots...I'm going to be visiting the area in about a week and will see how it's holding up, given the city's recurring financial nightmares which is an outcome of the vacuum in leadership, amongst other things.

I'd like to think that despite those things, places like this will endure. Let's hope so.

Miles

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: The Elmwood Strip, revisited

Miles Ignatius said:
Thanks for the pix....great shots...I'm going to be visiting the area in about a week and will see how it's holding up, given the city's recurring financial nightmares which is an outcome of the vacuum in leadership, amongst other things.
Last time I was in Buffalo, I found Elmwood Avenue to be holding up quite well. I took a bunch of pictures then, too, and found that the area is being cleaned up gradually. Somewhat less grit, fewer weeds, and businesses ticking ever so slightly upscale.

32nd Street in Denver's West Highlands neighborhood reminds me of a mini-Elmwood; the animated area stretches for only two blocks, instead of 25.