• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Vehicles / bikes 🏍 Buick Appreciation Society

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Post Beautiful Buick's here

28677279_1.jpg

4d_9VWbyJqHp-JQOnXUaj9wdnDEv5CmG6K3GiPrxfOKO_GdMYdS6k31_HIMQ1w54CHK_Eu8JkPJWl_SbOatzx0oywv6VxWOcODI

1967-buick-skylark

1987-buick-grand-national-regal-gnx.jpg

Have you ever owned a Buick?

"I used to like driving Buick's too until they started falling apart at 35,000 miles"

-a family handyman (referring to 2006+ and non-3800 90s Buicks)

michaelskis

Cyburbian

The Grand National platform was a freaking beast. The idea of a V6 with that much horsepower and speed was unthought of at the time, but became a necessity because of the increasing gas prices. It is amazing how the concept and technology of that has translated into so many other vehicles.

Even the ecoboost in the Ford F-150 is the same general concept.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So, I was born in Flint. My dad worked at the Buick plant in Flint when I was a youngster back in the 60's. Being a GM employee at the time, he got a significant discount on new GM vehicles. The first two vehicles I remember him driving were these two:
66-Buick-Electra-225-DV-11-PAR_03-800.jpg

A 1966 Buick Electra 225 convertible two-door coupe

and being a sensible family man with a growing family...
1968-buick-electra-225-sedan-1.jpg

A 1968 Buick Electra 225 hardtop custom four door sedan.

Being enamored of the brand, even after dad left GM, he later drove a 1977 Buick LeSabre (5.7 L)

untitled6.png

Planit

Cyburbian
The Girl drives a 2013 Buick Verano we received as an inheritance.

One of my best friends recently sold his 1972 Regal he'd had for 15 years. He said he remembered the advertising line "Fast with Class" about Buicks.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A proper Buick must: 1) be brown, and 2) have a landau roof. Like this example I saw in Buffalo's eastern suburbs a little while back.

brown_buick_landau_roof_cheektowaga.jpg

Feels like it's coming out sideways.

brown_buick_electra.jpg

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My parents were Oldsmobile, Ford and Pontiac people - boat-like cars and station wagons

But they did buy a 1987 Buick Skylark

1987 Buick.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
No first hand experience with Buicks as I've never owned or driven one and neither have my parents. There is a beautiful Grand National I see driving around every once in a while that I wish I had...

I remember in the summer of 1994 we took a vacation out to the Twin Cities and my parents decided to come home to Metro Detroit through Duluth, then across Wisconsin and the UP. We were in the middle of nowhere somewhere in the UP driving through some tiny town and my dad saw a brand new car parked outside a restaurant and actually turned our van around so he could go back and check it out. We'd never really call my dad a "car guy" so it surprised my mom and me. The car he had to see up close was a brand new 1995 Buick Riviera. It was the first time either of us had seen one and was definitely a pretty futuristic looking car for the time. The following year when they were shopping for a new car for my mom, he was trying to get her to get the 4-door Oldsmobile version (the Aurora).

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
To be fair, Olds and Pontiac were close the same cars as a Buick, especially in the 1970s through the death of the Olds and Pontiac brands...due to GM's propensity for close sharing of platforms.

This is the current Buick I want right now:
2020-Opel-Insignia-GSi-11.jpg

bureaucrat#3

Never owned a buick. My first few vehicles were Buick adjacent. My first was a 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham in a sandy brown. Affectionally, nicknamed the land barge. It floated over the road. You could comfortably fit 5 across each bench and at least that many in the trunk. It only lasted me 2 years in 1996 but only cost me $1,200.

1984_oldsmobile_eighty-eight.jpg

Upgraded to a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am. That car lasted less than a year.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
So, I was born in Flint. My dad worked at the Buick plant in Flint when I was a youngster back in the 60's. Being a GM employee at the time, he got a significant discount on new GM vehicles. The first two vehicles I remember him driving were these two:

A 1966 Buick Electra 225 convertible two-door coupe

and being a sensible family man with a growing family...
1968-buick-electra-225-sedan-1.jpg

A 1968 Buick Electra 225 hardtop custom four door sedan.

Being enamored of the brand, even after dad left GM, he later drove a 1977 Buick LeSabre (5.7 L)
I had a 1968 Buick Wildcat. It looked kind of like this:

Buick Wildcat 1968 2.jpg

\

...but had a black vinyl top like this:

Buick Wildcat 1968 1.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My first was a 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham in a sandy brown.
Change out the grill, and it's all box Chevy. When I think of the Chevrolet Impala, I think of the B-body.

Those boxy beasts -- Buick, Olds, Chevy, and Pontiac versions -- were everywhere in my hometown when I was young. I haven't seen any B-body cars on the roads in years, except for the occasional Impala, even in the 'hood. Most of them must have been trashed by the kids that inherited these grandma/grandpa cars.

Meanwhile, on Wikipedia ...

This is the current Buick I want right now:

This. In 2019, I briefly considered getting a Buick Regal TourX. Wagon? Check. AWD? Check. Turbo? Check. Affordable? Check. There's one or two that I occasionally see here in town, and they're stunning. Ultimately going with Subaru Legacy #3 might have been a mistake.

2018-buick-regal-tourx.jpg

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I don't know that I have ever ridden in a Buick, let alone driven one. Not certain, but I can't remember one, ever.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You can't have a mediocre family restaurant without a few Buicks.

mediocre_family_restaurant.jpg

I think between the mid-1980s and mid-2000s, the Buick Lesabre was available in only one color.

brown_buick_lesabres.jpg

How to make a Buick even more Buickey.

buick_landau_top.jpg

Damn straight. Consider the white landau roof on this white Roadmaster. Pure class, outside and inside. It's downright nautical.

classy_buick.jpg

classy_burgundy_buick_interior.jpg

The Roadmaster wagon.

buick_roadmaster_hearse.jpg

Speaking of wagons ... somewhere in South Buffalo, 1970.

1970_buick_estate_wagon.jpg

Seriously, are there any good new Interstate-cruising cars still made? Toyota will be dropping the Avalon from its avalon after the 2022 model year. I'd say a Mercedes S-Class sedan might qualify, but who can afford one new? Any Rolls-Royce sedan, too.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I never rode in a Buick but I once went to Montreal and back in a Old Cutlass Ciera with four bald tires (which I and three others slept in after a night on the town).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I think the auto industry decided about a decade ago to phase out production of sedans. Sales of sedans have been declining for quite some time.

Car-market-share-chart-2002-2017-USA.jpg

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I think the auto industry decided about a decade ago to phase out production of sedans. Sales of sedans have been declining for quite some time.

Car-market-share-chart-2002-2017-USA.jpg
Yep. They stopped making the Ford Fusion in 2020. Ford and GM have abandoned the sedan market for big Pickups and SUVs.
I guess my next car will be a Hyundai or Kia.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I like my 2015 base model Honda Civic 4dr sedan.
There will always be a market for sedans. Some of us are not truck/SUV people. We just need a car that will get us from point A to point B reliably, comfortably and not cost a lot of money. Yeah, it would be nice to have a high end vehicle that I would fit in. However, I have other priorities with my money. I love classic cars and classic car museums. That doesn't mean I want one.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
As the owner of a 2021 Subaru Legacy, this saddens me. The decline of three-box form cars seems like the end of an era.