• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Bull Durham

Should they have cancelled the 15th anniv. celebration of Bull Durham at Coopertown?

• Yes

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Other explained below

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I LOVE this movie, and think the cancellation is a big bunch of baloney. While I agree with many other cyburbanites about the inanity of "political celebrities", to cancel the event, I thought, was a little over the top.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
What got cancelled? Is this all because of that nut job Sarandon?

prudence

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I LOVE this movie, and think the cancellation is a big bunch of baloney. While I agree with many other cyburbanites about the inanity of "political celebrities", to cancel the event, I thought, was a little over the top.
The world does not revolve around celebrities. Moreover, the educated do not care what they have to say unless it is completely asinine.

My question is, "will the celebrities apologoze for their ridiculous statements on the eve/on-set of the war?" Especially when the US liberated the prison of youths who did not side with a "correct" political authority.

LONG LIVE BRUCE WILLIS.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Great Movie, and I would not cancel the celebration; I would simply not invite tim and susan. or i would invite them are require bith written and spoken apologies to the people of iraq, america and the president.

Sorry folks, but actions and words have consequences and these two in many aspects have given aid and comfort to the enemy.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Me sticking up for Tim "Shawshank" Robbins?

Canceling it was political and wrong. I agree that Tim and Susan are Class A numbnuts. However, there are some places and things you keep shielded from politics. Baseball is but one of those. Either you "celebrate" (I hate that word now days) the freaking movie or you don't.

They knew that two way-left liberal dipshits* were in the movie before they decided to honor it. Canceling was just a way to kick Susan and Tim about a little. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It is just that baseball is not the place to do it.

*[size=1.5]This is not to imply all dipshits are liberals or all liberals are dipshits. In fact, there are some very conservative dipshits and some very liberal people that are completely not dipshits.[/size]

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I think they should have had it, and re-enacted the scene where Robbins tries to hit Costner with the baseball.

Only this time, let a couple Marines throw the ball at Robbins...

prudence

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
I think they should have had it, and re-enacted the scene where Robbins tries to hit Costner with the baseball.

Only this time, let a couple Marines throw the ball at Robbins...
Don't leave out Susan.