• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Bush in Buffalo, Rumpy Detained

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
They got me, thank jeebus I didn't take the 20 bus this morning. Preaching the Patriot Act mumbo jumbo.

In a 9:30 a.m. speech in Kleinhans Music Hall, the president is expected to emphasize before a friendly audience of about 500 law enforcement and emergency personnel that potential threats like the Lackawanna Six - a local group with al-Qaida connections - have been rooted out by a vigilant administration.
Mayor says something useful for once.
"I respect the office and the person," he said, "but even if I were invited, I'm just not happy with the state of our economy, with the exodus of our jobs to foreign countries, and with the lack of any agenda for cities. I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite."
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040420/1018200.asp

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Dubya was here yesterday to attend a fundraising dinner at the convention center for Sen. Arlen Spector and was considerate enough to arrive at the airport and close down the Parkway West (one of the primary routes into the city) during the middle of the 5:00pm rush hour. Needless to say, a lot of people were less than happy with his timing. This wouldn’t be a big deal except Dick Cheney did the same thing on Saturday. The soon to be Mrs. Biscuit sat on the on-ramp to the Parkway for nearly 40 minutes while the cops cleared it of traffic for his motorcade. The air conditioner then went out on her Jeep during the wait and she was not a happy camper when she got to my place almost an hour late for dinner. I somehow doubt she or a few other commuters will be voting Republican this year.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
biscuit:

My reply to the Bush admin. would be:

"Bush - USE YOUR G#D D@$M HELICOPTER."

(Sorry for yelling)

Do they have any idea what they're doing?

biscuit

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
biscuit:

My reply to the Bush admin. would be:

"Bush - USE YOUR G#D D@$M HELICOPTER."

(Sorry for yelling)
I was talking to a guy during my walk home who expressed the very same sentiment.

The fiancée’s remark was, “They could have shoved him into a Kia and drove his ass into town without anybody knowing it was him. She's probably right.

jordanb

Cyburbian
^ Heh, our favorite book hawker. Buffalo must be so proud.

Appearently there's ultra-tight security for Bush and Cheney everywhere, and it's been pissing a lot of people off. It's kind of hypocritical in a way that they'd sent soldiers into harm's way but can't even ride down an expressway with fellow Americans and won't stand on the mound the middle of a professional baseball park without ensuring that nobody in the stands has a pocket knife on them.

Of course, when I tried to go to a Kerry rally, I stood in line waiting for the metal detector for an hour before giving up and going home.

Whatever happened to our politicians taking risks? The Secret Service wanted to put a bullet proof bubble on the convertable that Kennedy was riding in in Dallas, but he wouldn't let them. Yeah, he got killed, but now he's one of the most romantic figures in American history. If these guys really care about their legacy, maybe they should think of that. Nowdays, our politicians all scurry from one "secured location" to another scared ****less of the public they're trying to appeal to.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Although, an interesting note about all this...I saw Hillary at an event last summer and was surprised by the light security. The "motorcade" was 3 cars. Her's and 2 secret service. She was well guarded though while she signed books.