• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Buying a CD Burner...need help

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I think we are breaking down and buying one. Anyone have suggestions?

Best buy has a Memorex (52x24x52) CD-RW on sale and Circuit City has a I/O Magic (52x24x52) CD-RW on sale. Does brand make a difference? I'm being cheap, but don't want a piece of crap. The one at Circuit City has average reviews and comes with music software.

Also, what type of CD's to buy? From what I understand, the CD-RW don't necessarily play on every player?

Any help/advice would be appreciated :D

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
CD-RW are re-writable, and generally not compatible with regular CD-ROM drives (to the best of my knowledge).

CD-R are writeable once, until they are full, and for the most part will be compatible with regular CD-ROM drives once written.

I'm no expert, but that's my understanding of the two types of drives. I have a CD-R at home and access to one at work....they do the job for me....both for data and music.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I know you should buy the CD-R kind. For some reason my car cd player hates CD-Rs that are burned fast, so any cd I burn I have to burn it at 4x rather than the 16x+ that my cd burner does automatically (internal cd/dvd burner on the Sony Vio).

We had an external HP for our last one and I wouldn't suggest that kind, but I can't tell you about the other two- can they give you a run down of the features on both so you can compare?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
CD-RW drives are almost commodity items now. Plextor is the brand to get, but it tends to be a bit more expensive than the competition. Teac is known as a good, reliable brand. I've got an MSI DragonWriter, and I'm happy with it.

Make sure that the model you buy has buffer underrun error prevention; it'll redice the number of coasters you end up with.

Save money, and go mail order ... http://www.newegg.com is highly recommended by the geek community, and always has specials on CD.RW drives with free shipping. If you spend more than $50 for a CD-RW drive, including shipping, you've paid too much.

CD-RW discs can't be read in some older CD-ROM drives. They're good for work disks or scratch disks. Use a GOOD, name-brand CD-R for archiving. Seriously, I've had labels of cheapo CD-Rs flake off, making the dsk unreadable. Even then, I usually don't burn discs at more than 16X or 20X with my 52X drive. I find that discs burned slowly tend to be more compatible with a wider range of CD-ROM players.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:
I know you should buy the CD-R kind. For some reason my car cd player hates CD-Rs that are burned fast, so any cd I burn I have to burn it at 4x rather than the 16x+ that my cd burner does automatically (internal cd/dvd burner on the Sony Vio).
I had the same problem with my Honda Accord stereo. It got to the point where I gave up and bought a in-dash CD/MP3 player, allowing me to play any burned CD and cds with mp3 files.

"LiteOn" CD Burners provide a nice balance between features and affordability. Yamaha is also good.

I agree with dan on NewEgg, it is awesome. Tiger Direct (www.tigerdirect.com) also has great deals on computer parts.