• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Land use Buying an industrial warehouse for personal use.

I'm looking to buy an industrial warehouse to use as a shop for storing trailers and equipment, a couple boats, wood working, fixing vehicles etc. Basically all the things you can't really do in a residential house unless it's sitting on like 3 acres of land and you're far away from your neighbors cause they will just plain hate you.

I do have a landscaping business if that suffices as use for a business. That seems to be the main issue here from what I've discovered. Also I want the warehouse to be around 5000 sq ft. From what I've been told I can't use an industrial building for that, but maybe that person didn't understand what one as doing cause at that time I was looking at a piece of land and was going to build a warehouse from scratch, but that seems too complicated.

I really want this to be an investment property that I can rent out either years down the road or possibly rent out a portion of it immediately to help pay for expenses.

Can I do this in the Dickinson, la Porte, league city, Alvin, tx area? Those are the areas I'm looking at. I don't see what the issue is with how I use it once I buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
A warehouse is for storing things. WHAT exactly is inside (outside of obvious hazardous materials) really shouldn't matter.

Maybe it was the zone that was the issue on that piece of land. Other than the fact that they wanted me to pay to extend the road out in front of the neighbors empty lot which would have been about 120ft. That lot was zoned general commercial which I guess in their eyes was more retail oriented. Not sure why they don't just say that.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look at the list of allowed uses in that zoning district. You can use landscape business as a use as that's commercial.

DVD

Cyburbian
The extra things the city wants is the hard part. If this is an existing warehouse building you're not really dealing with the city. You're buying a warehouse for what it's intended for. If this is new building than the city will want to make sure the roads, water, sewer, etc. can handle the heaviest use a warehouse could present and not just the shop/storage you're doing. After all, you might sell it to someone else someday. So the road might need improvement to hold heavier trucks or if the road barely exists then it must be improved. Try to find a property with the building already there or one with all the street improvements already done and of course the right zoning to do storage.