Money 💸 Buying in Bulk

michaelskis

Cyburbian
In the gas thread, several people posted that this is reminiscent of the TP shortage of 2020. Some where left... well... wanting, while others realized that they had their own stockpile that had been amassed over time. But it wasn't just limited to TP.

Buying in bulk is something that has been around for a very long time and it is only recently that this idea of buy it when you need it as become the norm. At one point houses had pantries, cold storage, root sellers, and other storage areas indented to store items that were bought in bulk or to store produce once it came out of the fields or off the trees. I am curious if the pandemic has changed buying habits as people became less likely to make daily, or even weekly, trips to the store.

Personally, I would buy paper goods and similar items in bulk when the large packages were on sale knowing that we would use them overtime and the investment now would result in long term savings. I now also subscribe to a meat delivery program (butcherbox) that provides really good quality meats on a monthly basis and they sit in a freezer in the garage and are consumed over the course of a month.

What items do you buy in bulk. Do you think the pandemic changed your buying habits? Are there things that you will buy in bulk in the future? What are your go-to places to buy in bulk?

Last edited by a moderator:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I saw an article the other day that made the claim membership warehouses are on their way out. They're sooo 1990's. Perhaps it's true in terms of marketing trends, but regardless, buying things in bulk at discount does make economic sense. The downside, of course, is that one has to have SPACE to store items, and not everyone has that much space available.

Ever hear about 'extreme couponing'? There are people in this world that get lots of things for 'free' or pay pennies on the dollar by doing things like buying in bulk, purchase only items using coupons, or only sale items at stores. It's really a lifestyle more than a means of household budgeting, because effectively one ends up living in a warehouse and plans one's life around times/places for shopping and collecting coupons. It's crazy. Not to mention flies in the face of the concept of TANSTAAFL.

Planit

Cyburbian
Ever hear about 'extreme couponing'? There are people in this world that get lots of things for 'free' or pay pennies on the dollar by doing things like buying in bulk, purchase only items using coupons, or only sale items at stores.

You mean like at CVS with a 32 foot paper trail of coupons

• Haha
Reactions: JNA

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I think they use manufacturers coupons like they get in the Sunday paper. Not sure where they get so many from. Most coupons I see don't seem like that good a deal, but maybe if they also find a place with a good sale.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I saw an article the other day that made the claim membership warehouses are on their way out. They're sooo 1990's. Perhaps it's true in terms of marketing trends, but regardless, buying things in bulk at discount does make economic sense. The downside, of course, is that one has to have SPACE to store items, and not everyone has that much space available.

Ever hear about 'extreme couponing'? There are people in this world that get lots of things for 'free' or pay pennies on the dollar by doing things like buying in bulk, purchase only items using coupons, or only sale items at stores. It's really a lifestyle more than a means of household budgeting, because effectively one ends up living in a warehouse and plans one's life around times/places for shopping and collecting coupons. It's crazy. Not to mention flies in the face of the concept of TANSTAAFL.
I don't think it is going away.. well at least not costco. That's the beauty of costco.. always some sort of "find" when you go there and you are like, yea.. I do need frozen vodka pops at $22 a pop. As a 1/2 family of 5, it has been a life safer in terms of snacks, quick meals, clothes, etc.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I really like bulk purchases. I would rather have 600 rolls of toilet paper than 1. Same with other products that don't spoil. The problem with most of those products though is that they are made with non-recyclable paper, plastic, etc. So I do kind of feel bad about it. Kind of.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We aren't members of CostCo or other membership places but I do buy a few things in bulk online and at a couple other places. Primarily paper goods, toiletries, and cleaning supplies. I don't know if it counts as buying in bulk but there are some canned goods that we use frequently that I'll buy 10 or 15 cans of at a time when I'm at the store, especially if it's marked down.

I'm very particular about the shirts I usually wear to work and I really like the oxford cloth button down shirts from one particular store and a few years back I bought about 20 of them all in one shot when they were marked down ridiculously low so I've had a stack of them in my closet all wrapped up in their original packaging for a while and I can just pull out a new one as needed.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Look at this way, 32 feet of receipt was not such a bad thing back in 2020.
Him: Babe, I need more TP.
Her: Uh, sorry, the pandemic caused mass hysteria buying and the TP supply is nil. I was not able to buy any. Don't worry, though, I just came back from CVS.
Him: Good call, babe. You are a life saver.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I was buying meat in bulk when they were on sale and freezing it until my vacuum sealer crapped out on me. Now, I just buy what I can use a week at a time. I need to get a new vacuum sealer.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I've been to Costco and liked it. Unfortunately, our nearest one is 1 1/2-2 hours away. I buy mostly fruits and veggies, food wise, so that pretty much eliminates buy-in in bulk.