• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Bye Bye GIS

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok, this one is way past me. I just has a request from our Planner II (who thinks he is the senior planner) to show everyone how to use the printer, and to show everyone how to print out the maps.

He does not want and does not think that it is important for anyone else to learn how to use the GIS program. I get about one or two requests everyday for a GIS map. He his idea, “We can go back to drawing maps, it worked before, it will work again.” I do not have problem hand drawing maps; it can even be fun to pull out the old tools. BUT it takes so long, and if you mess up, start over. In GIS, if you mess up something, you can fix it.

I just hope that I can keep my sanity for the next week…

I think the problem with GIS is that some people feel that it IS planning. I've had to explain on several occasions that it's only one of several tools that planners use.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Next suggest to your boss that you could all get by sharing a single PC and telephone. After all the department once functioned that way.

Often when I get a really stupid request like that I follow the order to the max. I do exaclty as requested, of course after I told them in private it would not be a good idea. Then, If I were you I would spend a few days cleaning my pens and getting my drafting table ready and well lit and practice with my Leroy Scribe. Then I would start on my first map. By the end of next week you should be back on GIS.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Leroy scribe. LOL I still have one from college.

Break out the onion skin tracing paper, baby!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Screw 'em. Let them draw all the paper maps they want. Chill out for a week, tell them it was a good "learning experience" working there, and speed the hell out of there Friday afternoon.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
By the end of next week you should be back on GIS.
Next week I will be at a new Job far far away from the City of Reading.

I am just thinking for the good of the city that I was leaving. Our senior planner is so hard old school, he is not really open to new ideas or tools, even it if will save him time.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It really sounds like the senior people there do not understand technology and GIS. I'd spend about five minutes with them. Tell them how to turn on/off features and click the print icon. If you have any fellow planners with a real interest or talent, spend your time with them.

Interestingly, I met an economic developer from your city a couple days ago. He agreed that the project you described a couple weeks ago was handled poorly from the start, and he was not involved in it.