• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Bye Bye to NH's symbol....

SGB

Cyburbian
After having driven by the Old Man twice daily on my former commute, I came to appreciate him well.

He was such a strong and omniprecent fixture in NH. While I agree he should probably rest in peace, I suspect the state will resurrect him.

Hasn't the Gov. already stated his intent to bring him back?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
SGB said:
Hasn't the Gov. already stated his intent to bring him back?
He has...but backed off a bit when questioned about it saying a fund would be started, and that no ideas are off the table on restoration vs. a memorial.

el Guapo

Capitalist
NHPlanner said:
[B...personally, I say let the Old Man rest in peace....
I say...let's have a contest here at Cyburbia. We can help the state figure our its furture direction.

Name the next New Hampshire symbol!

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I was up in Franconia Notch on Saturday hiking Mts Lafayette and Lincoln. It was a tremendously beautiful day. When my friends and I got back to down to the parking lot, we had no clue what had happened. It was pretty funny to see all the news trucks along the parkway reporting on the Old Man.

I think the whole thing is pretty funny. The had to have thought that it was going to crumble sooner or later with all that epoxy resin and rods that they used to hold it together. One of my friends took some digital photos of the range, if I get those, I'll post a few up there.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Nice pics, G. You are going to have to become a Hoofer when you move to Madison.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Does this mean that any NH quarters I have in my couch cushions are now collectors items?

SGB

Cyburbian
The story of the Old Man's demise has even been picked up by the BBC.

The White Mountains Region of NH is actually a very popular tourist destination for the British.