• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cal vs. UCLA

Jonz

Hello, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone can give me insight on these two programs? My interests are in the areas of international & economic development, transportation, and housing planning for the disabled. I've heard many accolades about Cal's MCP but don't know too much about UCLA Urban Planning program. I ideally would like to work internationally for either a NGO or the UN/World Bank. In addition, I also plan on getting a law degree after earning my master. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bmoore81

UCLA has a dual degree program where you can earn a masters in UP and you Law Degree, I don't know how long it takes though. I can not vouch for the quality of the housing program, as I will be in the regional and international development program.

Good Luck

Ucla

Hi. I am also new here also. I am a fairly recent gradute of the UCLA program and would recommned highly if you are interested in GO and international type work. My impression of the of the Cal program, granted just an impression, is that it is extremely technical and geared toward the private sector-type jobs.

UCLA has a concentration in Regional and International Development (RID) and also will allow you to get a dual degree in law in four years, so you wouldn't waste your time getting a seperate masters degree.

There is a lecturer at UCLA, Steve Commins who who also works full-time at the World Bank. He teaches several classes in RID. There is also a cool option at UCLA that instead of writing a thesis, you can participate in a two-quarter long class which at the end results in a group thesis-type paper that examines an issue stemming from current work of the Bank. It also involves a week long trip out to DC in the spring, interviewing folks at the invovled in that particular issue as well as other NGOs on various sides of the issues.

Theere are other very strong professors in the RID program that deal with area -specific and region- specific issues. I only mentioned Steve Communis because of your mention of the World Bank.

Also, at UCLA you can take classes at USC (but not pay their rates) or take a semester and take classes at CAL.
Hope this was helpful.

Jonz said:
Hello, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone can give me insight on these two programs? My interests are in the areas of international & economic development, transportation, and housing planning for the disabled. I've heard many accolades about Cal's MCP but don't know too much about UCLA Urban Planning program. I ideally would like to work internationally for either a NGO or the UN/World Bank. In addition, I also plan on getting a law degree after earning my master. Any input is greatly appreciated.