• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Calling All Metalheads

Budgie

Cyburbian
I don't like to sound like a broken record (Lord knows I have plenty of those), but I just threw a freakin' thrombow. If you don't own the untitled White album by Diamond Head, you need to get it now. I've known about Diamond Head for 15 years, but my GOD !!!!! Get there first album and soil yourself. IMHO, it's one of the top 5 albums ever. YES, EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right up there with Led Zep I, Paranoid, etc..... Kill em' All is a direct knock off. Listen to the second half of "Suck on my Love" by Diamond Head and your hear note for note the primary riff for "Seek and Destroy". Of course, Metallica has covered Diamond Heads, Am I Evil, The Prince (my personal favorite), It's Electric and Helpless. But I'm telling you every song on this album is a keeper.

I know what the hell I'm talking about. This is the s%%t.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I dunno if you are expecting such answers.
But I just saw the title and typed in.

I heard Diamond Head but not like a great Fan. U look like one though.
For me it was:

Megadeth
Judas Priest
Metallica
Ozzy/Black Sabbath
and so on so forth

and if you mention Led Zep then I have to add that AC/DC is what I grew on but now that you say Im going to check out diamond head in greater detail.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
For me it was:

Megadeth
Judas Priest
Metallica
Ozzy/Black Sabbath
Metallica's and Megadeth's early material (especially Metallica, but most of us know about the split that spawned Dave Mustaine's band) is a copy of Diamond Head riffs.

IMO, Judas Priest were so overrated it isn't funny. I saw them live and they were boring. The songs are dull and Rob Halford riding a Harley on stage isn't quite enough to get my juices flowing.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
What do you think of
WHO
ALice Cooper

{ Dont tell me you like Sepultura or do you call it the deathmetal??}

Of course I've never seen these guys performing live.
You were fortunate :-}

Budgie

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
What do you think of
WHO
ALice Cooper

{ Dont tell me you like Sepultura or do you call it the deathmetal??}

Of course I've never seen these guys performing live.
You were fortunate :-}
There is not enough storage capacity on the server for us to go on like this.

The WHO, thumbs way up.
Alice Cooper, is o-kay. I really like "I'm Eighteen". "Schools Out" is over rated.
Sepulatura is catchy.

Voi Vod, Slayer, Napalm Death -- now that's speed deathmetal. Obviously, Slayer is ahead of the pack. Napalm Death grates on my nerves as numb as they are.

I thought I saw somewhere that JP was touring again.

Rumpy --

AC/DC with Bon Scott skanks all over pansy US counterparts (Aerosmith (yawn), post Alive I Kiss (woohoo)). After Bon died, things got stale (except "For Those About to Rock (the entire album)). Hey, Rumpy -- do you have "The Jack". I know you like to talk about it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rumpy Tunanator said:
What about AC
You mean someone else on Cyburbia is actually familiar with AC?

A friend of mine would occasioanlly ask me to burn him a CD. I'd throw in an AC "song" or two between the tracks. Good times.

For those unfamiliar with the band, I highly recommend Kazaaing some of their "songs." Short, but ... uhh, interesting grindcore. Some song titles:

Hungry Hungry Hippos
You Are An Interior Decorator
You Have Goals
You Drive An IROC
You`re Old
You Go To Art School
You Keep A Diary
Your Favorite Band Is Supertramp

Budgie said:
I don't like to sound like a broken record (Lord knows I have plenty of those), but I just threw a freakin' thrombow. If you don't own the untitled White album by Diamond Head, you need to get it now. I've known about Diamond Head for 15 years, but my GOD !!!!! Get there first album and soil yourself.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Dan said:
You mean someone else on Cyburbia is actually familiar with AC?

Hungry Hungry Hippos
You Are An Interior Decorator
You Have Goals
You Drive An IROC
You`re Old
You Go To Art School
You Keep A Diary
Your Favorite Band Is Supertramp
Yes, good times indeed. AC rocks.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I can't stand ACs music, but as Dan mentioned their song titles are hilarious. I think they actually spend more time thinking of song titles than actually writing music.

I used to love pre-Black Album Metallica, Iron Maiden, Metal Church, Megadeth, Exodus, Ozzy, Helloween, and Anthrax, who I saw last fall in Chicago and they were (much to my surprise) great

My metalhead tendencies now skew towards stuff like Soulfly (new CD out in April ROCKS...thanks usenet groups), Slayer, Converge, Clutch, etc.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I think they actually spend more time thinking of song titles than actually writing music.
Primus has some hilarious song titles. Here are a couple of my favorite song titles from Budgie:

Crash Course in Brain Surgery
Nude Disentigrating Parachutist Woman
As Hot as a Dockers Armpit
You're the Biggest Thing Since Powdered Milk
In The Grip of a Tyrefitter's Hand
Napoleon Bona Parte I and Parte II

BKM

Cyburbian
You guys are all posers! Death to False Metal!
:-D

LOL. The Lords of Chaos are the way to go: Satyricon, Emperor, Ulver, Bathory.

On my CD player driving to work:

Novembre-great melodic death-doom, from Italy, of all places.

My Shameful-Finnish Funeral Doom that makes you want to drive into an embankment (just kidding).

Morgion: The ultimate SoCal Doom-Death. They are finally releasing a new album this Spring!

Edit: Clutch absolutely stomps. "To the tune of a billion dollars....I sold to the DOD some tasty little nuggets of alien technology....As one might expect...The Men in Black have been bending my ear...Once I aescaped them through a secret passageway...." LOL!

Doitnow

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
My metal roots are:

AC/DC
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
The moment I saw your name/title i thought- 'Hey, looks like this guys into metal'
I was right. I had similar taste.

Like I said I almost grew up on AC/DC, Megadeth, OZZY, Deep Purple and all of them.
Although I dont quite think that White Snake was really that heavy but since it featured in many metal albums, I have tomention that some of theirs songs - I really loved them.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Behind the Music - When Metal Jumped the Shark!

My Metal Roots are more pure than all yours!
I once ate the semi-digested bat heat Ozzy Spit out while I was tuning the guitars for Metalica's first performace in Norway while tripping on some Uncle Sid that my man Angus gave me that he got from Hendrix. Phaattttt!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
The moment I saw your name/title i thought- 'Hey, looks like this guys into metal'
I was right. I had similar taste.

Like I said I almost grew up on AC/DC, Megadeth, OZZY, Deep Purple and all of them.
Although I dont quite think that White Snake was really that heavy but since it featured in many metal albums, I have tomention that some of theirs songs - I really loved them.
I was afraid to admit I do like some of the glam metal as well. Hence, my name has come from the Skid Row song.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Ya Skid Row.
Now I'm slowly remembering and realising so many good ones I can still listen to.
I think even after Bon Scott died ' Back in Black' was pretty good.

I used to listen to Ozzy's ' No Rest for the Wicked' album and Iron Maidens 'Run to the hills' and 'Motorhead' before I went for writing my High School Exams and after writing them. This went on everyday for about a month. I didnt do all that bad when the results came out.
And yes Scorpions was and still is a favourite.
Ever heard of 'Salty Dog'. Maybe Elguapo with his wide ranging experience would know?? :p

martini

Cyburbian
Yep, another closeted hessian here. I'm from the midwest, whadja expect? I grew up with
  • Metallica
  • Slayer
  • Megadeth
  • Voivod
  • Iron Maiden
  • GnR(about as 'hair' as I ever got. I couldn't stand that crap)
amongst others. Later years included Primus, Clutch, Nashville P*ssy, Zeke, Motorhead(getting into it). My transition has since proceded to punk and into insurgent country(Steve Earl style stuff). There's the occaisionaly acerbic wit of some lefty folk(Dan Bern) in there too, courtesy of my wife. Back to the point though, I still love listening to all that old metal. It's just fun!

Budgie

Cyburbian
martini said:
Motorhead(getting into it).
Lemmy is a sex-symbol. I love Motorhead. Into Thin Lizzy and Stephenwolf at the moment.

The whole point of this thread was to tell everyone who can appreciate it, to get a copy of Diamond Head's (not to be confused with King Diamond), first album (the White Album). IMO this album is one of the top 5 hard rock albums of all-time. No shi^&in'!!!!

Budgie said:
Alice Cooper, is o-kay. I really like "I'm Eighteen". "Schools Out" is over rated.
Er, make me want to ask: How old are you?

Alice Cooper, born Vincent Furnier to a minister who was an alcoholic and wild child before he found religion, was quite controversial in his day. If those are the songs you know from him, uh, have you ever heard an album by him? I got rid of my albums years ago, so I am shakey on titles but there's the album with him in a psych ward on the cover. There is the song about the sicko who had a fetish for dead lovers ("Cold, cold Alice"?). There is the song about being in a mental ward ("On the inside"?). And the one about being suicidal.

"School's Out" was big because it was one of the few songs he did that you could play on most radio stations. It was rebellious in a more humorous and less threatening manner than much of his material.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Er, make me want to ask: How old are you?

Alice Cooper, born Vincent Furnier to a minister who was an alcoholic and wild child before he found religion, was quite controversial in his day.
How old do you think I am?

Yes and he was a closet golf enthusiast. He didn't want anyone to know that he liked to hang out at the country club whacking balls with a turtle neck wearing yuppy named Biff.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
How old do you think I am?

Yes and he was a closet golf enthusiast. He didn't want anyone to know that he liked to hang out at the country club whacking balls with a turtle neck wearing yuppy named Biff.
He is a single digit handicap and at one time endorsed Callaway golf and appeared in commericals with Johnny Miller.