• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Calling All Photoshoppers!

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'm throwing down a challenge.

The challenge is to photoshop up the October 2002 cover of planning magazine. Are you up to it? Post your example(s) Planning magazine cover here and we will post a poll on August 19 allowing the members to vote for their favorite bit of publishing.

There are two categories. 1. humorous versions using the current "design" of Planning magazine.

2. Proposed alternative designs you feel Planning should consider.

First time Photoshoppers welcome.

el Guapo

Capitalist
We are in August already. Thus, I eliminated it because it has passed. I avoided September because many with little sense of humor may find it offensive for us to play with the first aniversary of the terroist attacks. I thought October because of the twisted nature of the All Hallow's Eve celebrations. This may give first time photoshoppers a bit more room for experementation. Thus, October was my choice. But, people are going to do what they want to do. So if you must - August would be fine. Hell, for that matter - do the Stardate 126234.5 issue.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
So you'll post the poll on Oct 19th not Aug 19th then...

el Guapo

Capitalist
????

What is so difficult to understand here?

Photoshop a cover in the next few days or weeks and on Aug 19th I'll post a poll. I suggested that people photoshop a particular month to satisfy my sense of uniformity. Maybe that was a mistake. But whatever, Photoshop what ever you want. I'm posting a poll the 19th.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i think i see the confusion...i too was a bit perplexed...i thought that you were asking people to take the actual october issue that goes out...and screw with ITS cover design...using the original elements that the APA used. but instead...just create something, anything for that cover...right?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yeah, I thought you wanted us to mess with the real october cover when it arrives (since you used the term "the cover of" instead of "a cover of").

el Guapo

Capitalist
OK - Now I see how I took everyone astray. Yep - you got it. Does it sound fun?

Reading a previous post it appears I was a bit touchy. - I beg your forgivness.

nerudite

Cyburbian
This sounds like fun... I'm not that great at photoshopping, but I'll give it a go. Could I have a handicap, like in golf or something? :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Yes

You may just want to do the French/English version for Canada. We could make it its own category. Then we won't cringe when we see all those extra U's and silent E's in your English. Also you may adjust the cover price to $CDN.

nerudite said:
This sounds like fun... I'm not that great at photoshopping, but I'll give it a go. Could I have a handicap, like in golf or something? :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I've had an idea .... actually, since Tuesday. You'll see it ...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Yes

El Guapo said:
You may just want to do the French/English version for Canada. We could make it its own category. Then we won't cringe when we see all those extra U's and silent E's in your English. Also you may adjust the cover price to $CDN.

Yay! I get to test my seven months of cereal box French! Does Planning Magazine stay crunchy in milk?

boiker

Cyburbian
...looks for a 'copy' of photoshop 7...

i really can't do much with ...(sigh) photo deluxe or microsoft picture editor.

I've been asking for photoshop forever... I'll have to use my connections to obtain a 'copy'.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Re: ...looks for a 'copy' of photoshop 7...

boiker said:
i really can't do much with ...(sigh) photo deluxe or microsoft picture editor.

I've been asking for photoshop forever... I'll have to use my connections to obtain a 'copy'.
You might want to look into a copy of Photoshop Elements. It's got everything a planner would ever need Photoshop for....it just doesn't have the high end editing tools.

You can get a copy for around $100...instead of $500+ for the full version of Photoshop.

You can download a trial of Photoshop (and other adobe stuff) at:
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jhtml#product=39

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: Re: ...looks for a 'copy' of photoshop 7...

NHPlanner said:

You might want to look into a copy of Photoshop Elements. It's got everything a planner would ever need Photoshop for....it just doesn't have the high end editing tools.

You can get a copy for around $100...instead of $500+ for the full version of Photoshop.

You can download a trial of Photoshop (and other adobe stuff) at:
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jhtml#product=39
I've even asked for that, however, IS said to the powers that be, that for a planners use, photo deluxe is sufficent. bastardos.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Wink Wink

Perhaps an olde (note pirate language) copy of Corel photoshop might work?

Dan, Is using this board for criminal operations against the users agreement?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
If you don't have a painting program, you can also go to www.download.com and find a freeware or shareware program. Some are completely free and others have a nominal fee and/or a trial period. I would reccomend Paint Shop Pro, which will provide enough features to complete your Planning Magazine assignment.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Very good, Mr. Stumpf.

Very good indeed.

But ... as good as this?

Inspired by a article in last week's Onion ...

oh, thank the lord i had the sense to put my coffee down before opening this thread this morning. i almost had tears running down my face! good job guys!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Juvenile. I love them. However, my vote will go to the Cyburbanite that best integrates MarryTheresa. Godspeed.

prudence

Cyburbian
I'M OUT!!!

You cannot compare the amatuers the the professionals. I am not jumping into the fray. I will stand on the sidelines and stalk the cheerleaders.

You planners are very humorous...and talented. EG, you may want to forward these to the head office...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Those are awesome! Michael and Dan... I think you've set the bar too high for the rest of us!

I do have an idea though... it's just finding the time this week to do it :(

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
ok...i guess we must all be on the same wavelength here, huh? i started this whe this first went up...and this is prob the end product:

Attachments

prudence

Cyburbian
These are ridiculously funny. Please don't stop creating...they are most enjoyable.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A quickie, for our friends across the pond. Don't want 'em to feel left out, of course. Not as good as my first effort, IMHO, but still ...

jmf

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Can somebody do a CIP cover please?

I do not possess this photoshop technology...
I don't have the technology either......Donk??? How about you?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Can somebody do a CIP cover please?

I do not possess this photoshop technology...
We need a good Plan Canada cover image, so we can guess what typefaces are used, and have a clean logo to play with. Plan Canada covers are bilingual, too. We'll have to fudge the French if we make an attempt.

boiker

Cyburbian
windows 95!?

damn this ancient os.

now i have to dig my copy of photoshop 5 out. because photoshop 6 won't run on os's before windows 98.

why can't IS upgrade these beasts!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Dan said:

We need a good Plan Canada cover image, so we can guess what typefaces are used, and have a clean logo to play with. Plan Canada covers are bilingual, too. We'll have to fudge the French if we make an attempt.
I quit CIP, so I can't get into the member's only part of the website to see if I can snag an image - the only Plan Canada cover in the public area is really tiny and does not enlarge well.

I can help with the French bit, and provide some ideas for articles.

Donk and I are cooking something up...

nerudite

Cyburbian
El Guapo challenged me to do the Canada version... so I'll work on it when I get home tonight. I have a few ideas (with a lot less talent with photoshop unfortunately)... But I will have a submittal this week, I promise :)

donk

Cyburbian
Looking at the fonts of the recent issues. It is a just variations on Arial.

The main title looks like Arial Black. All other offical info is probably just plain arial. the title of the issue and images are whatever the graphic company decides.

Drop me a private message and I'll email you a photo I took of a recent cover for this excercise.

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
Looking at the fonts of the recent issues. It is a just variations on Arial.

The main title looks like Arial Black. All other offical info is probably just plain arial. the title of the issue and images are whatever the graphic company decides.

Drop me a private message and I'll email you a photo I took of a recent cover for this excercise.
I have a jpg of the Mar/April 2002 cover too, if anyone wants it... It's in large scale (90k I think), so it would be a good size to mess with. E-mail/pm me if you want it....

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
For the guys....

part 2...(this file is not temporary anymore...it's in the Gallery. Why I didn't think of this yesterday, I'm not sure

el Guapo

Capitalist
Somebody call a doctor cause I am going blind from laughter! Every one is Great.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: For the guys....

NHPlanner said:
part 2...(this file is temporary, as I'm not sure how long I can keep it hosted on the site it's on)
YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! First real laugh of the day!