• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Zoning Can we talk about mixed-use zoning?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
We have a mixed-use zone which allows planned development of commercial and residential. However, this is not true mixed-use. As an example, a preliminary plat was just approved which had 100% commercial on one side of the city road and 100% residential on the other. I think we can all agree that this is not mixed-use by any stretch of the imagination but totally meets the mixed-use zone standards. Some on the council do not like this zone so I need to bring it back to them for a discussion. What is your jurisdiction's definition of mixed-use and how do you implement your version?

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I have mixed use zones where some amount of residential is near-mandatory, and I have mixed use zones that can be 100% commercial or 100% residential. So- the zone is mixed -use, but not the project itself sometimes. I don't have any zones where any amount of commercial is mandatory, but I do have one where "big box" commercial requires a "wrap" of smaller stores or residential around the box.

CityWoke

The way I see it, not all buildings in a mixed-use development need to be mixed. HOWEVER, the flexibility in heights, setbacks, etc. should ONLY be for mixed-use buildings. Our mixed use zonings are only planned developments, so while we would allow exclusively commercial buildings in a mixed used PD, they aren't able to take advantage of the maximum height in the district unless it is a mixed-use building.