• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Canada vs. Manifest Destiny

Canada and Manifest Destiny

• Canada, forever free!

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Welcome to the U.S.A. - now on to Mexico...

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • We'll all be saluting maple leaves, eh?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Puerto Rico, maybe a state. Canada, never.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Cardinal

Cyburbian
OK, so first there was NAFTA, which supposedly brought us all a little closer. Then the Europeans got in on the act, creating a union and even a common currency. Is consolidation among nations the trend? Is Canada destined to become the 51st through 62nd states?

The economic ties are there. Our McCulture is overwhelming them, despite their exports of hockey and bacon. Add to that the Quebecois (sp?) and their perpetual attempts to break off from the rest of Canada and the geopolitical impacts if they were ever successful.

On the other hand, some nations are splitting up. Remeber Yugoslavia? The Soviet Union? We are becoming ever more diverse; is the US headed down the path to eventually breaking up into several parts? Perhaps the Canadians are a secret menace to the north, waiting to swoop in during the confusion. Watch out, Dan, you know they have an eye on Florida.

Any thoughts, eh?

One of our local newschannels had an "exposure" on how exposed our Canadian border is, v. melodramatic. But I can never ever see a "United States of Canamerica".

nerudite

Cyburbian
As an Amercian resident of Canada I would say that there really isn't too much difference between the American and Canadian cultures. But, whoah!, the difference in the political system is especially marked. Canada would never fit into our two party political system. But they do have a Marijuana Party of Canada, so at least it would be more fun! (http://www.partimarijuana.org/)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
There is a very strong division in Canada between those who argue for closer ties with the U.S., and those who fear that Canada is being overwhelmed by American culture.

I don't think I'd have a problem with closer, European Union style integration (more economic and defense than political) but I don't want to see Canada lose it's identity either.

Nerudite - Western Canada seems to be closest in terms of it's "American-ness". Out east there seems to be a stronger "Canadian" identity (if there is such a thing). Les Quebecois are in a world of there own...

I seem to recall hearing something about some of the western states and B.C. looking at forming something called "Cascadia" a while ago. Are there any other potential nation-states that could arise within North America?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
"Da Nort"

A confederation of former US states and Canadian provinces including, Wisconsin, da UP (Upper Penninsula of Michigan), Minnesota, western Ontario and Manitoba. Red Green will be the first president.

BKM

Cyburbian
Wasn't Cascadia the new "eco-nation state" in the book Ecotopia? (Northern California, Oregon, Washington, BC)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Think it's possible to see Canada, or at least some parts of it, merge with the US, but as smaller states that would wield more power than large provinces? The Maritimes are New England state-sized, but what about Ontario? Split that big puppy up into three or four good-sized states, and fill up the the "Hoose of Representatives" with 'nucks.

Socialized medicine? It's administered on a provincial level now, so the rest of the U.S. wouldn't feel obligated to join. The gun thing might be an issue. (I'm all for gun control personally, but I think that it's a bit too late; it'll take generations to disarm thugs on this side of the border.) Water could also be an issue. I say sell it, and make the thirsty desert states pay through the roof.

We'll take the beer, strippers, socialized medicine, municipal consolidation, the metric system, beer, high denomination coinage, and some more comedians. You get Interstates, decent retail, decent television programming, a real military, cheap gas, and women who aren't uptight. You can also ditch CanCon and state-run beer stores. Sounds like a decent trade to me, eh?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Jingoism ... it's what's for dinner.

Presenting ...

The Cyburbia Vision of Manifest Destiny!

Look north, fair eagle ... look north.

Admit it, you don't want Newfoundland, either. Back to England you go, old salts!

El Paso goes to where it so desperately wants to be -- VIVA AZTLAN! Enjoy Sunland Park Mall, courtesy of the new, improved United States of America. You're welcome.

Cuba? This time, the CIA will finish what they started.

Hey .. what are those little dots scattered throughout North America? They're the People's Republic of Berkeley, People's Republic of Boulder, People's Republic of Lawrence and the People's Republic of Madison.

Forget 54-40 ... NORTH POLE OR FIGHT!

Canada defends its icy turf.

BTW, the Trans-Canada highway is now I-98, and Toronto is now the cleanest city in the United States! Baw ha ha ha ha ha ha! Hockey Night in the Northern United States! Baw ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's okay ... we'll make it up to you. We'll finally go metric, and we'll give curling a shot. We'll also buy a few of those Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Hockey tapes. Economic development, you know.

Let's look at that map, shall we?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hey ... what's that on the back of the Canadian $10 bill? It's already begun ... baw ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Better start remembering it now .... "I pledge allegence to the flag ..."

At least the City of Toronto will now get more funding from the State of Ontatio government. We assume you'll be far wiser in spending that money than Buffalo is.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Go south!

Forget Canada. Sure they are nice and everything. But, its cold there. Let's look to our south. We have five armored divisions within a days drive of the Mexican border already. Most of the southwest is already hispanic or spanish speaking. We could solve most of our imigration problems if we offered to make every Mexican a US citizen - at gunpoint of course (that's the American Way!).

So I propose we take Mexico by force. Sure they would resist a little at first. But once they knew that uncle sugar was going to give every new US citizen a job at Wal Mart they would lay down their arms. We would bring investment money, accountants and real police. Telemundo then could count on booking Justin, Britney, and Hasellhoff. They already have beer, sun and parasailing. Paradise without the parka.

I realize this is another subject entirely -
it'll take generations to disarm thugs on this side of the border
Thugs? Danicon9.gif

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Yes...concentrate on Mexico. Forget alllllllllll about us up here. Meanwhile we will continue to quietly export Canadian ideals to our southern neighbours. We've already got TexasPlanner hooked on hockey (curling won't be far behind). Before you know it, there'll be a Tim Horton's on every corner (hey - at least we'll take care of your Starbucks infestation), and Poutine on the menu at all your fastfood outlets.

adaptor

cheerfully assimilated

Those ideals already include relentlessly cheerful rock and pop music* oozing over the gloomy post-grunge like maple syrup. Can an end to littering and jaywalking be far behind? When the CBC competes head to head with NPR for the ears and minds of our new nation will "As It Happens" or "Talk of the Nation win the day? The concept is more bizarre than one of those alternative reality Sci Fi stories. Orson Scott Card may already be on the case...

*OK I forgot Skinny Puppy, but that was years ago.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dude

Like...RustBelt...is like right man...like...what if...Canada took us over...like that is so....wild. Dude. Dude...just thinkin about it is making me hungry.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If Canada, or at least Canadian culture, overruns the Etats Unis, does that mean I will be able to buy butter tarts in the local gocery store? If so, count me in. If it means having to label everything in French, forget it.

el Guapo

Capitalist
What is the deal?

Why are you Canadians sporting our flag on your Cash? What are you sneaky bilingual snow lovers up to?

El Feo

Cyburbian
Re: What is the deal?

el Guapo said:
Why are you Canadians sporting our flag on your Cash? What are you sneaky bilingual snow lovers up to?
EG, don't be so coy - you know it's just a subtle play to make their money worth something by association...;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The UGLS (United Great Lakes States)

Yes, yes,......YES!!!!

We can finally put a full offensive defense around the Great Lakes to prevent the evil '4 corners' desert dweller states from trying to buy our beautiful, lovely, nummy, pure(ish) fresh water.

May they sleep in the 'God-awful hot' bed they have made.

(I like Canada and feel a kinship with at least the Great Lakes provinces, but I do not like ketchup flavored potato chips, blech!;-))

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Re: Jingoism ... it's what's for dinner.

Dan said:
Hey .. what are those little dots scattered throughout North America? They're the People's Republic of Berkeley, People's Republic of Boulder, People's Republic of Lawrence and the People's Republic of Madison.
You forgot the People's Republic of Ann Arbor (incorporating Ypsilanti)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Rem said:
But what about our Queen?
If the cadaians and the rest of the comonwealths had any guts, they would have dumped the brits and the whole monarchy right after we did when it would have been easy.

But, if you like the fact your queen is has one foot in the grave and the future King is playing lacrosse with the buttlers, well, you just might be more screwed up than we are! :)

We don't need no stinking Queen, we got BUSH! Wait, errrrr.......! :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I seem to recall hearing something about some of the western states and B.C. looking at forming something called "Cascadia" a while ago. Are there any other potential nation-states that could arise within North America?
I also heard of a fledgling party that proposed making part of the Maritines, Maine, and maybe NH into a seperate country based on libertarian ideals.

Anyone see the Family Guy where Peter declares his lot a seperate country because it was left off the city's tax plats?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
On a related topic, I hear that North Dakota, in efforts to remove the stigma of "North" from their name are considering South Manitoba for their new name.