• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Canada's Armed Forces Bankrupt (Don't invade us until we buy some bullets, eh?)

el Guapo

Capitalist
http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=97f7dbbe-981a-4085-9686-e87fab611fbb

"The military sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the reports foresee a situation so dire that they recommend curtailing operations, dry-docking ships and mothballing vehicles or aircraft and closing at least four Canadian Forces bases."

Why even bother with even the pretense of an army? Why not borrow some uniforms from the Vatican and kick back and spend the remaining money on importing comedy shows. According to Canadian Law, doesn't the next import comedy show have to be from France?

There are 60,000 people in the Candian Armed Forces and all reserve components, coming from a population of 33 million. Thus 0.188 % of their citizens serve at any time.

There are 280 Million Americans of which 1.4 million are on active duty with another 600,000 in the reserves. Thus 0.714% of US citizens serve at any time.

Can you say Libensraum? ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Canada has produced more than its fair share of elite military outfits historically. It is a little publicised fact (at least in the US) that both times the US invaded Canada (during Revolution and War of 1812) it was repelled.
It would be a shame to see that glorious tradition die out because of some fiscal difficulties....based on the article it looks like they are facing a $500,000,000 budget shortfall. I figure that converts to be about.....let's see... approximately $77.52 in US dollars. I say we planners should take up a collection to help out. I pledge $10....

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The Canadian military has been chronically underfunded for the past 30 years, and Canada has really just been a token member of NATO for the past 20. I think Canada has decided as a nation that domestic needs (e.g. social programs) take priority over such things as establishing an empire (just kidding - sort of). The main problem Canada's military has is that while Canadians very much appreciate and are proud of the role it has played in U.N. peacekeeping actions, The War Against Terrorism (tm), etc., nobody wants to give them any extra money to do these things. As a result, the infrastructure that supports the military is left to crumble so that troops can be sent on "sexy" missions that show Canada still has some pull on the international scene.

Here isanother article on the subject. I'm sure National Defence, just like ministries of Health, Transportation, and widgets would love to have a lot more money to spend on their pet programs.

Personally, I'd love to see Canada have the ability to field one complete, self-sufficient mechanized brigade, with the capability to get it where it needs to be and sustain it there. Maybe we should buy that aircraft carrier that was offered on ebay a while back.

donk

Cyburbian
I took this crazy class in University and wished I'd saved teh texts. there was one that was called the invasion of canada and it listed and explained how the USA would invade us.

Some of teh funnier ones included that the clean air intake on teh Detroit Tunnel is on teh Detroit side, while the exhaust fans are in Canada. That is so they can nerve gas us and get a foot hold in southern ontario easily.

Others were just as silly.

Tried to google the title and could not find it.

Dragon

Cyburbian
We should increase Southern US tourism to Canada. I for one would go, however, on my planner salary, I don't know if my tourism dollars will help much :-\ .

Truthfully though, I don't know many Southerners that have been to Canada.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Dragon said:
We should increase Southern US tourism to Canada. I for one would go, however, on my planner salary, I don't know if my tourism dollars will help much :-\ .

Well I'm not sure we want to create a Canadian reliance on US tourist dollars. Next thing you know Canadian border towns will have streets filled with ragged children selling US tourists bottles of maple syrup or key chains and paperweights made of real Sudbury aluminum ("Hey GI you wanna buy genuine goalie stick signed by Martin Brodeur? For you I make special deal, eh?") ;-)

I predict:

Dan's map will never come to be since invading Canada is about like invading Russia: All they have to do is wait until winter arrives and let Mother Nature run us out of town for them. :-D

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I predict:

Dan's map will never come to be since invading Canada is about like invading Russia: All they have to do is wait until winter arrives and let Mother Nature run us out of town for them. :-D
What about us yinglings that live in the snow? We could pull it off;)

Rumpy Tunanator said:
What about us yinglings that live in the snow? We could pull it off;)
Maybe. Feel free. Maybe Michaelskis will join you, since he mourns the melting snow. You can definitely count me out. And don't try to recruit my teenaged sons: their entire wardrobe consists of an assortment of shorts and t-shirts (or tank tops) and a pair of sandals. In winter, they throw a jacket over that. B-)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I predict:

Hey... as a native Los Angeleña, if I can live here anyone can! (Well, except maybe native Floridians. Sorry, Floridians.) :-D

Dragon

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
their entire wardrobe consists of an assortment of shorts and t-shirts (or tank tops) and a pair of sandals. In winter, they throw a jacket over that. B-)
Sounds kinda like my wardrobe :-D Except for my growing Professional Planner wardrobe, which, thanks to my loving family, I now own 3 ties instead of 1 :-c .

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Maybe. Feel free. Maybe Michaelskis will join you, since he mourns the melting snow. You can definitely count me out. And don't try to recruit my teenaged sons: their entire wardrobe consists of an assortment of shorts and t-shirts (or tank tops) and a pair of sandals. In winter, they throw a jacket over that. B-)
No need for an invasion, Canada is already our backyard. They are like the strange relatives in another state. They just havn't figured out that it is time to be annexed by choice. :)

And while we are at it, we should forcibly annex Greenland from the Danes while we are on a world power grab. Hell, might as well make everything from the isthmus of Panama to the pole a US state. :)

One good night in the cold will fix the t-shirt and shorts wearing! :)

Duke Of Dystopia said:
One good night in the cold will fix the t-shirt and shorts wearing! :)
My youngest child was born in Germany. I sometimes take him to the pool so he can go swimming and we are the only people there because only a Polar Bear could get in the water without turning blue -- well, a Polar Bear or my son. :-D

otterpop

Cyburbian
Dragon said:
I am a transplanted Southerner and I've been to Canada lots of times. I love it. The people are a lot friendlier than a lot of the U.S. citizens, the beer is better, and you have to see British Columbia to understand why their license plates say "Beautiful B.C." And I love the "animal money". I keep a loonie in my pocket for good luck.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Donk - Invade canada? Why? Did someone put an embargo on the delivery of Molsons?

And Tranplanner - all your leaders know that the US would never let anything bad happen to you. Why else is it the world's largest undefended border? Thats right. we're friends. Of wait, you guys produced Micahel J. Fox. The B-2's are on the way buddy. ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dragon said:

Been twice...all the way from Florida! I would like to visit again and see more of Canada...like, as soon as my ex- drops dead and I can get a passport for my son.

Dragon

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Been twice...all the way from Florida! I would like to visit again and see more of Canada...like, as soon as my ex- drops dead and I can get a passport for my son.
I've been once too, all the way from south MS. I was to young to remember much though. I guess I stand corrected on the southerners to Canada travel. I would like to visit again someday. Maybe this time I'll remember more.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Zoning Goddess said:
I didn't think you actually needed a passport to visit Canada. Maybe now since 9/11. I don't think I've ever had to even show ID when crossing the border (haven't been since 2000). Probably different if you fly in/out.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I didn't think you actually needed a passport to visit Canada. Maybe now since 9/11. I don't think I've ever had to even show ID when crossing the border (haven't been since 2000). Probably different if you fly in/out.
You don't need a passport. But you do need a photo ID. I assume her son is under 18, in which case a child passport is probably just as easy to get as a regular ID in the States. Either one would suffice... with the passport you don't need to bring the birth certificate, but with an ID you do.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Usually all you need is a drivers licence or state issued id card, but they say to bring your birth certificate. I haven't been asked for one since 93 or 94.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
You don't need a passport to go to Canada, but crossing into the US I was asked if I had one on me. They didn't prevent me from crossing back over, but said they now prefer to see one.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal said:
You don't need a passport to go to Canada, but crossing into the US I was asked if I had one on me. They didn't prevent me from crossing back over, but said they now prefer to see one.
Yes, apaprently when you do get stopped it expedites the going again. A very good friend of mine's sister runs a modeling agency in Toronto and he occassionally assists with photo shoots. He has had no problems going in to Canukistan, but has had stops on the way back and has confirmed that if you have one carry it.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Watch out for their Curling team maybe the stone is their double secret weapon.