• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Canada's Plan

Rem

Cyburbian
Coincidence - if an infected cow ever turned up in Australia we'd say it was born in New Zealand. ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My question is, why did any meat farmer let this cow get to be 6 years old before it was slaughtered? They don't normally live that long, do they?

donk

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
My question is, why did any meat farmer let this cow get to be 6 years old before it was slaughtered? They don't normally live that long, do they?

It was a surplus dairy cow. I don't think I'll be eating beef in the US again if 6 year old holsteins (bred for milkin' not eatin') are considered edible.

One other thing to add, the cow actually would have had dual citizenship. Tthe semen used to impregnate the mother was American. There is also a good chance the feed the cow ate would have come from the States.

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
With all of the questionalble farming practices employed in the US, I have begun to seriously look at trying to eat more organic foods. This weekend I made a trip to the Whole Foods in Madison and experienced the sticker shock. Seven bucks for a gallon of organic milk? I can still find RGBH-free milk at one of the other grocery stores. Still, the tilapia breaded with herbs, and the pork chop with granny smith apple stuffing were delicious. I wonder if the prices will come down if demand increases, and more people begin producing organic foods.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Well, if this is Canada's Evil Plan it's a pretty stupid one seeing as there is supposed to be a free market in place for cattle in N. America.

Cardinal said:
With all of the questionalble farming practices employed in the US, I have begun to seriously look at trying to eat more organic foods. [snip] I wonder if the prices will come down if demand increases, and more people begin producing organic foods.

Me too - I think we've gone over "healthy" eating trends in a couple of other threads. My wife and I have definitely tried to increase our intake of organic foods - it helps that our local supermarket has increased their line of organic products. I too am hoping that increased demand will lower prices, but am lucky enough to be able to afford to purchase a fair number of "premium" products.

donk

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
With all of the questionalble farming practices employed in the US, I have begun to seriously look at trying to eat more organic foods.

Just a note, you may not have to eat organic to get the health and safety benefits of organic products. Kosher and Halal food may be suitable. It tends to be processed less with a higher degree of cleanliness and fewer additives then "normal" food.

One caution, the meat tastes a bit different, I can't explain it but it does.