• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

(Canadian) Election Help Needed....... Again

Who should Donk vote for?

• Liberals, like the Democrats, but pretend to be a bit lefter.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Conservatives - Republicans, but a bit righter (I know that is hard to believe)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • NDP - Just right of Commie

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Marijuana - Keep Rollin (That is their campaign slogan)

• Green Party - Not as green as they claim to be

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Christain Heritage - Yes we have the religious fundamental right here to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ever popular other, maybe a spolied ballot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

donk

Cyburbian
I know you have all been following the exciting Candain Prime Ministerial Elections with baited breath. Now it is your turn to help choose teh next governing party of Canada. As I have just moved, I have no idea what local candidate to vote for based on if they area good person or not. So here are your choices to help me out

1) Liberals
2) Conservatives
3) New Democrats
4) Marijuana
5) Green
6) Christian Heritage Party

Here is an interesting twist to teh election this year, for each vote a Party gets, regardless of the number of seats they win they get $1.70. So a vote for a fringe party is no longer a wasted vote. Too bad we don't have the Natural Law Party anymore.(yogic flyers)

jmf

Cyburbian
Can't help you Donk. I am have no idea who to vote for in my area - although I know who I am NOT going to vote for. Just to add to the excitment, I live in Scott Brison riding - ex-PC leadership candidate who jumped ship to the liberals when the PC and Aliance combined to formthe new Conservative party. For this act of bravey Mr. Martin rewarded him with a high profile job in cabinet.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
What I like about Canada is that candidates actually use the terms "conservative" and "liberal" as party descriptions and not just insults.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I voted "Liberals" as I am feeling more and more angst toward my native republicans, and therefore could not suggest the Conservatives.

With family formerly in Dundas, Upper Canada, I'm partially a Canuck. ;-)

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Huh?

Do you really vote for prime minister? I thought he/she was elected by the members of parliament, like our Speaker of the House.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Joe Iliff said:
Do you really vote for prime minister? I thought he/she was elected by the members of parliament, like our Speaker of the House.
No, we don't vote directly for PM. The leader of the party which wins the most seats becomes Prime Minister (usually).

I cannot remember the name of the movie, but it sounds like a great election in which to opt for 'Vote None of the Above'. (OT: And I would be thrilled if someone could tell me the name of the movie. :-D )

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Michele Zone said:
I cannot remember the name of the movie, but it sounds like a great election in which to opt for 'Vote None of the Above'. (OT: And I would be thrilled if someone could tell me the name of the movie. :-D )

Brewster's Millions with Richard Pryor

nerudite

Cyburbian
If it were me... I'd vote Liberal or NDP. Whoever has a better chance of defeating the Conservative contingent. If the Conservatives will run the country how Ralph Klein has run Alberta, I'd be VERY, VERY scared.

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
If it were me... I'd vote Liberal or NDP. Whoever has a better chance of defeating the Conservative contingent. If the Conservatives will run the country how Ralph Klein has run Alberta, I'd be VERY, VERY scared.
Except Harper will be sober and have full capacity of his brain.(what little he has)

Voting for a martin lead liberal party does nothing for me either.

Layton seems like a used car salesman.

Guess I have to flip a coin on how to "waste" my vote - green or mary jane. Come to think of it a ballot looks like a giant zig zag

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
Layton seems like a used car salesman.
LOL... he's the closest that I have found so far to a typical American politician. I actually think that he had the best 'presence' at the national televised debate and seemed to be able to talk to the average person a little better. He is a little like a used car salesman, but I he seems to be getting his point out there a bit better than the others.

Stephen Harper scares me. Paul Martin seems like an oaf.

donk

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Whoever you decide to vote for, I urge you not to eat your ballot. Apparently, its a problem in Canada. B-)
Must have been marijuana party supporters who forgot their chips and chocolate bars.

Wish I could have thought of something that original to do.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Ahh, d'ônk, àlthough it is too latê, I must point ôut that yôu havê forgotten un ôption in your pôll. Arê yôu not un of le 49.4%?

pandersen

Cyburbian
Voting:

nerudite said:
Better be careful what you say out there in the land of the oil patch - you may just find yourself put on a bus back to Calif. God knows "Ralphie" must already think planner = communist. Not that I disagree with you, just suggesting it must be hard to have an opinion out there that's different than "Ralphie's" and expect it to count for much. You must be glad you are unable to vote up here. On the plus side, if Haper and Klien have their way, they might just be in touch with you to assist them in bringing Amercian Style healthcare to Alberta.

nerudite

Cyburbian
pandersen said:
On the plus side, if Haper and Klien have their way, they might just be in touch with you to assist them in bringing Amercian Style healthcare to Alberta.
I'm not sure if it it's a plus or not though. It's really expensive in the States (or so I hear), but I don't really know because my employers always paid 100% of my health care costs... well, except for the $5 - $10 co-pay per visit. I like Canada's liberal bent, with the exception of Alberta's ultra-conservative viewpoints. I am probably just a step away from communist from Alberta's perspective. In Canada's political system, I'm probably closest to liberal... although I like some of the NDP platforms in theory but probably not in practice.