• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Cancelled Denver Sessions...

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Glancing through the APA website to try to map out the sessions I want to attend while I'm there, and I come across this:

Are Gays and Rock Bands Key to Economic Development?
Sunday, 1:00 p.m.–2:15 p.m.
Canceled

Was this actually going to be a session? I can't believe something like this even made the first cut for proposed sessions. Is the "influence" of GALIP making APA actually schedule stuff like this at a NATIONAL conference?

I will note, though, that GALIP's sessions weren't all rejected or cancelled....there's still this one:

Gay and Lesbian Retirement Communities
Tuesday, 10:15 a.m.–11:30 a.m.
As the baby-boom generation hits retirement age, communities will need to address the issues of housing and health for these new senior citizens. Increasingly, retirement housing is being marketed to affinity groups within particular niches. Learn about the special needs of one group through case studies and discussions of planned and existing gay retirement communities. Sponsor: Gays and Lesbians in Planning Division. CPDP: 1.5

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
Canceled
Sounds legit to me, considering Florida's use of gays and the creative arts community as indicators for growing regions.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: Re: Cancelled Denver Sessions...

Dan said:

Sounds legit to me, considering Florida's use of gays and the creative arts community as indicators for growing regions.
You've read The Creative Class, huh? :)

plannerkat

Cyburbian
David Sawicki is fond of saying that high-income gay men are frequently the key to revitalizing deteriorated historic neighborhoods.

SGB

Cyburbian
[unnecessary rant]

Come on, folks. Isn't it a well established fact by now that high income men and women regardless of sexual orientation are a significant key to revitalizing historic neighborhoods?

For once, let's leave s#x out of the equation....

[/unnecessary rant]

plannerkat said:
David Sawicki is fond of saying that high-income gay men are frequently the key to revitalizing deteriorated historic neighborhoods.

NHPlanner

Staff member
SGB said:
[unnecessary rant]

Come on, folks. Isn't it a well established fact by now that high income men and women regardless of sexual orientation are a significant key to revitalizing historic neighborhoods?

For once, let's leave s#x out of the equation....

[/unnecessary rant]

That was my point about the canceled session....why does it have to be about sexual orientation?

BKM

Cyburbian
Actually, I would disagree.

Straight high income men and women are much more interested in school quality. Decayed historic districts are thus less interesting to them. I am guessing that statistically, they are more risk-averse. Culturally, there may be more predisposition to family-oriented neighborhoods with close parks and schools.

Are there cultural differences as well? Not to belabor a stereotype, but gays and lesbians may be more interested in architecture and tend to be more "artsy"-a perfect target demographic for trendy downtown loft districts.

Of course, this doesn't answer the broader question: should there be a "Gay and Lesbian" APA subsection that presents these things.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Avoiding all the easy one liners...

Sexual Orientation groups in the planning field are social clubes at most. They were allowed to spring up because progressives fear not being thought of as all inclusive. We have hashed this argument over before here at Cyburbia. The general concensus was: How and with whom you reach sexual climax has nothing to do with the built environment and nothing to do with how well you perform a plat review. In my humble opinion, shoving one's sexuality in to people's faces during professional meetings and in official documents serves no one's interest in the long term.

el Guapo

Capitalist
BKM said:
Actually, I would disagree....Straight high income men and women are much more interested in school quality....
Poor people, straight or gay, want their children to go to good schools also.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Tying two posts together.

That Planners Network Statement made the statement: The U.S. supports, through its foreign aid, the construction of walls, very much like the Berlin Wall, that divide people based on ethnicity. "

Isn't the APA doing the same thing buy dividing people based on sexuality? Does the Planners Network support the GALIP division of the APA?

Just curious. ;)

BKM

Cyburbian
EG.

Of course poor people want good schools. They just often don't have the resources to get them. Affluent families have that choice, and they are more likely to choose suburban districts with good schools. Gays may be more risk-tolerant for colonizing borderline urban neighborhoods.

I agree that "social club" divisions are divisive and pointless. But, if there are other such divisions, not sure why anyone would pick on this one. They are all questionable/pointless in my mind. Maybe you can send a letter to the APA Board advocating creation of a conservative planenrs' division??

Of course, I should recuse myself from this argument, as I am not an APA member (my employer doesn't pay and I see no reason to waste $100/year-but that's another topic).

Repo Man

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Of course, I should recuse myself from this argument, as I am not an APA member (my employer doesn't pay and I see no reason to waste $100/year-but that's another topic).
Hey that 100 dollars a year gaurantees you a year long barrage of junk mail form APA trying to sell you books, lectures, journals, lingere, seminars, and conferences. The APA is like joining a CD club. Initally you get some goodies in the form of CDs or in this case, Planning Magazine and a nice suitable-for-framing membership certificate, but then the junk mail starts coming and keeps piling up to the point where you just throw it away and wonder why you joined in the first place.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Re: Avoding all the easy one liners...

El Guapo said:
How and with whom you reach sexual climax has nothing to do with the built environment and nothing to do with how well you perform a plat review.
But Guap, zoning don't allow no sheep in the town!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Glancing through the APA website to try to map out the sessions I want to attend while I'm there, and I come across this:

Canceled

Was this actually going to be a session? I can't believe something like this even made the first cut for proposed sessions. Is the "influence" of GALIP making APA actually schedule stuff like this at a NATIONAL conference?
This is actually a very interesting and credible presentation. The title is misleading, though. It really is not about gays. Richard Florida's work has centered around the "creative class" and their role in forming the intellect-based businesses of the future (the New Economy). Florida points to the importance of quality of life in the location decisions of these people, and proposes that communities would do well to form their economic development policies around creating attractive places. These may be anywhere - Jackson Wyoming, Traverse City Michigan, or Austin Texas, for instance.

In the past, Florida has discussed the influence of such things as night life and bike trails in attracting talent to a community. Rencently, research (done by someone who's name I forget) has found a strong correlation between the presence of gays and the size of the "creative class." The hypothesis extrapolated from this work is that communities that are tolerant of deviant (not intended in a pejorative sense) lifestyles are also tolerant and even encouraging of alternative or entrepreneurial thinking. Hence, people are more free to let their creative talents flow freely, taking the form of innovation, formation of new companies, etc.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I also wanted to pipe in and say that those sessions sound completely legitimate to me. The conference is to discuss ideas, right? It's no endorsement of sexuality whatsoever.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
While I think the session should have been retitled, it was a classic marketing technique to draw attention. Shock sells.

That said I want to weigh in on the GALIP issue again. I do not beleive it is a credible branch of the professional organization. For that matter, I do not beleive that a "African Americans in Planning" branch would be credible either. These organizations only promote self-segregation. If gays want to be accepted across society they need to integrate their subculture into the mainstream. Im not suggesting they hide thier identities, but for gods sake, stop acting like the oppressed class in need of special attention. After all, hell would break loose if someone formed a HIP - Heteros in Planning - chapter.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
bturk said:
That said I want to weigh in on the GALIP issue again. I do not beleive it is a credible branch of the professional organization. For that matter, I do not beleive that a "African Americans in Planning" branch would be credible either.
What about the Women in Planning division?

There's a meeting at the APA conference of folks interested in forming an Indian/Abiroginal division.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Dan said:

There's a meeting at the APA conference of folks interested in forming an Indian/Abiroginal division.
In my mind, this would be the only one of these divisions with a good reason for existing. Planning and Community Development on Native American lands is a real and interesting topic.

donk

Cyburbian
I second Seabishop. Within my district there are 4 reserves. While geographically in our area we provide no services to them as in canada the lands on reserves are treated very differently then freehold and provincial crown lands. A chapter devoted to understanding and working with natives and their land claims, reserves and associated issues would be useful. The only caution I would have is that it should be inclusionary and allow non natives to participate. If not, are there really enough native planners to form a chapter by themselves?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Cancelled Denver Sessions...

NHPlanner said:

You've read The Creative Class, huh? :)

He has some interesting ideas and is really good at re-hashing um...I mean presenting, a lot of info from Jane Jacobs and other Planning 101 sources. I've had the "privilege" of meeting several of his acolytes around town and have come to the conclussion that wearing wire rimmed glasses, owning a Weezer album, and dreaming of nothing more than one day buying a stainless steel Sub-Zero fridge does not make you particularly creative.

I think I've heard of this before. What was that term that was used to label the people Florida is describing? Was it Urban Pioneer? Was it YUPPIE maybe? I can't remember but lets slap on a pride sticker, take 'em shopping at the thrift store (or Prada, your choice) and call them the "Creative Class." Genius.

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
The Creative Class Pseudo-Economy

While I may sympathize with Florida's arguments, they also sound a bit, shall we say, 1999.

Many of the creative class hotbeds (especially San Francisco) are today absolutely reeling, with vacancy rates approaching 40% in some SF neighborhoods.

I guess being 25 and working for www.kittylitter.com or www.wesellretailforaloss.org, does not mean that you are immune from old economy ideas like "profits" and it eventually becaomes apparant that, despite the Aeron chairs, you are NOT a genius after all when the money runs out.

God, I guess I am jealous that I don't have the "vision"- or drive- that some of the winners in the past boom had.

On a broader note, I remain skeptical that a country of 300 million people can run its entire economy off "the arts" and "design" and glorified catalog shopping (which is what the commercial side of the internet is), while outsourcing all the real work to cheap labor countries. Not that Florida is really saying that entirely, but . . .

That lovely sucking sound of current account deficits and even higher trade deficits is getting louder. When the dollar is no longer the reserve currency, what will we do then?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Entrepreneurs and idiots are both prone to a high rate of failure, aas the past three years have shown. But the .coms are only a small part of what Florida defines as the Creative Class, which includes professionas as unlikely as planning. The Creative Class is that group of people whose economic function is the production of information. Yes, this can be the person writing html, but it is also people in professions like marketing, sciences, engineering, writing, etc.