• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Capitalization of smart growth, new urbanism, etc.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm writing a style guide for my agency, with such goodies as ...

Procedures
Do not capitalize names of planning procedures such as preliminary plat, final plat, or plan amendment, unless when used as part of a development or project name.
[strikeout]Staff recommends approval of the Preliminary Plat.[/strikeout]
Staff recommends approval of the preliminary plat.
Staff recommends approval of Lakeview Subdivision Phase 2.

utilize
Legalese; avoid. Use use.
Many times, when I see references to smart growth, new urbanism, or other new planning trends and practices, the words are capitalized. I tend not to capitalize them, since they're not proper nouns, and they don't fit the qualifications for capitalization that I've seen under the AP and Chicago stylebooks.

Some clarification regarding the proper use of terms like smart growth/Smart Growth would be welcome.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Dan said:
Some clarification regarding the proper use of terms like smart growth/Smart Growth would be welcome.
1. If one uses the term(s) in a sentence referring to the theoretical concept, it should not be capitalized....

But

2. If one uses the term(s) when it is part of an official organization name, it should be capitalized

Examples:

1. I studied new urbanism in my Planning Theory class.

2. I recently joined the Congress for the New Urbanism.

That's how I look at it.