• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Capitalize on that!

H

Cyburbian
How could (should) Steve Bartman capitalize on his newfound infamy?

Earlier today I was thinking poor Steve, a good kid, die-hard Cubs fans and now he is hated in his own city for something he didn’t mean to do that hurt his ‘heroes’…

Then I thought, wow, he could really capitalize on this. I’m talking websites, talk shows, books... and more. He should come out to the media and say, “F’ the Cubs, hahahahahha, I have been waiting for that, Go White Sox!”. And become the dork everyone loves to hate!

What do ya’ll think? What would you do in the situation?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Scapegoat

He's been offered free room, board and transportation in south Florida by a Florida hotel owner. He should not take it, but I can see a made for TV movie about his professional and personal demise following the incident. It could be like the William Jewel story, with a twist of "The Jerk".

The fact is that he did not lose the series. Wasn't it the next batter who grounded to Rodriguez at short who booted a double play ball. Didn't Dusty Baker (one of my favorite players when he was with the Dodgers) leave Kerry Wood in too long last night. You can't blame Bartman. He's just an easily accessible scapegoat to the lowest set of supposed Cubs fans. Did the "Bull" (Leon Durham) get run out of Chicago on a rail in 1984? What about Buckner? What about Merkle? The difference is that these guys were players. Donnie Moore committed suicide after blowing a World Series lead.

Anyway, don't get me started. But I think the last couple days have renewed my belief that Baseball is the only true religion.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
They could have "Steve Bartman Day" at Wrigley. Cubs fans could pay $10 for a chance at dunking him in one of those tanks of water they have at carnivals. If that's not good enough they can bean him at the plate for $20.

SGB

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
They could have "Steve Bartman Day" at Wrigley. Cubs fans could pay $10 for a chance at dunking him in one of those tanks of water they have at carnivals.
Actually, if he's smart he'll do similar to that as a fundraiser for a local charity. We are talking about a HUGE revenue stream here if he does it while people are still really mad.

Budgie

Cyburbian
You can go on Wayland Avenue right now and buy a "Beat Bartman" T-shirt.

H

Cyburbian
Re: Scapegoat

Budgie said:
The fact is that he did not lose the series.
Of course he didn’t, but he still f’d up. :) Even if his only fault was where he was sitting and reacting naturally. :-S

Budgie

Cyburbian
Good Hands

He should do an All State Insurance commercial. I can see it now.

Frame 1: Footage of the miss.
Frame 2: "With a good hands All State Representative we can insure your ..."

Frame 3: "Your Car" (as an angry mob is smashing his car, turns it over and sets it on fire, as he peaks out the window of his house),
Frame 4: "Your home" (as his house is burned to the ground by an angry mob of Cub fans)
Frame 5: "and Your Life" (as the mob chases him in front of Wrigley with baseball bats with nails sticking out and throwing balls at him).
Frame 6: "You're in Good Hands with All State" (as your neighborhood friendly agent catches a ball with a sh?t eating grin on his face.

A few modifications and this could be one of the greatest insurance commercials ever.

H

Cyburbian
Re: Good Hands

Yeah, I could also see one of those “priceless” Visa commercials.

Seat: 75$
Hot dog and Coke: 8$
Pissing off the entire Greater Chicago Metro Area: Priceless.

:-D